Nosey Doctors

Riedquat

HOLA441
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Dragged this up again because when I did eventually get around to seeing the doctor (this thing seems to be moving at a snail's pace but that's mostly fine with me, I'm sick of everything rushing and being in a hurry) she fairly quickly decided that I was depressed but that pills probably wouldn't do anything. Don't know what will yet, but no just throwing some pills at me and sod off is reassuring, looks like she might actually be trying to work out what should be done.

HOLA443

Depressed? Not me, I`ve got a cat. She loves to sit in the bows of the Christmas tree surrounded by lights. I haven't got the heart to tell her that the tree is not real.

I go on a fast (36 hours) and then have the gp check my bp. Usually it goes down to 100 over 70. I`m doing OK two years after a stroke.....

Statins you can keep.

HOLA444

Dragged this up again because when I did eventually get around to seeing the doctor (this thing seems to be moving at a snail's pace but that's mostly fine with me, I'm sick of everything rushing and being in a hurry) she fairly quickly decided that I was depressed but that pills probably wouldn't do anything. Don't know what will yet, but no just throwing some pills at me and sod off is reassuring, looks like she might actually be trying to work out what should be done.

Nice and slow can help.

Reactive depression needs the situation to resolve to something better, so pills no use. Talking therapy can help though. You have us here. Although that might not always help.

I used to be offered a sick note constantly. I don't know whether I bit back once too hard but they stopped asking eventually. I did always tell them one was no use to me and that I actually wanted to not be in pain.

HOLA445

I've not been offered a sick note by the doctor but work don't seem to object (can do a week without one anyway). As I was told by them - "You've tried coming in to work, perhaps try not coming in." I'm supposed to be off today for that but didn't think it was doing anything.

HPC is a dodgy one, plenty of threads on here that set my teeth on edge immensely (although they're mostly in the main forum, which is one reason I rarely venture there these days). Off-topic is a strange mix of a source of all expertise and complete nuttiness.

HOLA446

FWIW..

I'm not going to venture that you and I have anything in particular in common. Some politics, perhaps. To suggest anything else would be more than presumptious.

That said, depression is something that I've always suffered with, on and off.

It doesn't need to be "one thing". Actually, it's usually a build up of things which over time come together to drag my mental state down.

It *is* clinical depression, not just a "bad day". For the moment, I'm OK, but it swings back and forth. I'm not bipolar, but have some symptoms of it.

When it comes on, a couple of things are true. First, it will last for months, and second, it's insidious. I don't realise I'm depressed until it has been going for some time.

I am, whether this comes across or not, a sort of Victor Meldrew style character. Highly cynical and facetious. It's in my nature. And it has strengths, but has weaknesses, too. On the other hand, at my best, I can be "the life and soul of the party". That I cannot control this, or, have not learned how to control this, frustrates me.

I know that I can't watch "Question Time". I'll just start swearing at the TV. I have learned to disconnect myself from politics, and to try to avoid the things that press my proverbial buttons. And there are lots of those.

I don't know whether this is IQ related. Again FWIW I've considered you to be of high intelligence in the past. I can't point at any one post or thing, but a general sense. My IQ is well above average or was when it was tested, not that you'd think so from the crap that I write sometimes. I think this can be both a blessing and a curse.

I don't have the answer for you, as I don't know you. I do know that I've never seen a doctor about depression. It sounds as though you have people around you who care about you, and would like to see you "repaired" for want of a better word. I think you could reflect on that.

For me, self-help comes in the form of self-hypnosis and hypnotherapy recordings. I'd be happy to share those with you if you would like to keep an open mind and see if they may help. If our positions were reversed, the cynical part of me would think "Well, that's you, isn't it". But drop me a PM if interested.

Also, hobbies and interests, and a concerted effort to "do something different today" are key.

I wish you well and that your recovery, which *will* come, is at the pace that's right for you.

HOLA447

I've not been offered a sick note by the doctor but work don't seem to object (can do a week without one anyway). As I was told by them - "You've tried coming in to work, perhaps try not coming in." I'm supposed to be off today for that but didn't think it was doing anything.

HPC is a dodgy one, plenty of threads on here that set my teeth on edge immensely (although they're mostly in the main forum, which is one reason I rarely venture there these days). Off-topic is a strange mix of a source of all expertise and complete nuttiness.

It is the source of all wisdom!

HOLA448
HOLA449

This may sound trite but it's been true for me: 'There are no bicycles outside a psychiatrists'.

Cycling (and walking in the country) has been the most effective anti-depressant I've ever had. After a bike ride I find myself humming, whistling, cracking jokes etc even though I'm still, mentally, feeling low. Other people have noticed it. Eg, I used to go to evening classes by bus and would nod off on the way and arrive feeling down and dreary. When I changed to cycling there, I used to arrived fresh and alert and the teacher said 'what's happened to you??'

I guess it's the brain being flooded with dopamine or whatever those natural painkillers are called.

Another good thing worth trying is positive thinking. Be careful though. This doesn't come naturally to British people, and you don't want to be put off by overenthusiastic shouty Americans like Tony Robbins. Try starting with books such as 'How to stop worrying and start living' by Dale Carnegie or 'Cheerfulness as a Life Power' by Orison Swett Marden (free for Amazon Kindle).

This has really, really helped me through some very dark times in the last few years. Obviously there's a lot to get down about in life but I think we don't realise just how unnecessarily negative our outlook often is.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

This may sound trite but it's been true for me: 'There are no bicycles outside a psychiatrists'.

Cycling (and walking in the country) has been the most effective anti-depressant I've ever had.

Doing stuff on my allotment really helps me deal with stress.

I think the problem is some of the stress is caused by the nutters on the allotment.

HOLA4412

Doing stuff on my allotment really helps me deal with stress.

I think the problem is some of the stress is caused by the nutters on the allotment.

You have planted the wrong things, and attracted some naked Morris Dancers, out of season. You should put out some bedding for them, so they survive the Winter! And some ale! They like that!

HOLA4413

yes. I haven't got an allotment but even so my wife and I have to endure abuse from a neighbour , he`s written several letters to the council about our untidy garden but the council can`t do anything as there`s only 5 inches of grass. This makes him even more pissed off.

HOLA4414

yes. I haven't got an allotment but even so my wife and I have to endure abuse from a neighbour , he`s written several letters to the council about our untidy garden but the council can`t do anything as there`s only 5 inches of grass. This makes him even more pissed off.

Mine has OCD and his own garden is immaculate. Mine is therefore rather untidy. Must wind him up something terrible having to look at it.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I know what you mean about exercise, the big problem is that I can't decide whether it's right to cheer up - that'll mean fundamentally being no better than all the people who clearly aren't too bothered by the things that annoy me. That's no better than being the cat that lives here (I'm away at the moment), give him some wildlife to murder, food, and a warm place to sleep and he couldn't really give a damn about anything else much, he's happy regardless.

HOLA4417

I know what you mean about exercise, the big problem is that I can't decide whether it's right to cheer up - that'll mean fundamentally being no better than all the people who clearly aren't too bothered by the things that annoy me. That's no better than being the cat that lives here (I'm away at the moment), give him some wildlife to murder, food, and a warm place to sleep and he couldn't really give a damn about anything else much, he's happy regardless.

Exercise if it helps you.

People who don't seem bothered are sometimes bottled and ready to pop. Some are just idiots who have no emotions.

It is better to make your bit of the world right rather than fretting over the reactions of other people.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

And a very large number of people appear to be no better, just make things simple and easy and lazy for them and they don't give a crap about anything else. The amount of damage and crap that's appeared all over most of the UK is appalling and depressing yet it's impossible to hear more of anything other than a constant demand to get yet more of it. Such people would use the Mona Lisa to wipe their **** with and wonder what the fuss is about. There's very little reason that we couldn't have had most of the technological benefits (and the real quality of life ones were all achieved decades ago) without most of that if we weren't so pathetically irresponsible and uncaring. Given, however, that we've been that, are we trying to reverse, to undo the damage? Like hell are we (just look at the scum who bleat "NIMBY" on here every time someone dares not to worship the idea of building more crap).

HOLA4420

And a very large number of people appear to be no better, just make things simple and easy and lazy for them and they don't give a crap about anything else. The amount of damage and crap that's appeared all over most of the UK is appalling and depressing yet it's impossible to hear more of anything other than a constant demand to get yet more of it. Such people would use the Mona Lisa to wipe their **** with and wonder what the fuss is about. There's very little reason that we couldn't have had most of the technological benefits (and the real quality of life ones were all achieved decades ago) without most of that if we weren't so pathetically irresponsible and uncaring. Given, however, that we've been that, are we trying to reverse, to undo the damage? Like hell are we (just look at the scum who bleat "NIMBY" on here every time someone dares not to worship the idea of building more crap).

Make you the best you possible.

Yes there are ill-educated morons out there who are not good to be around.

You have to try to cut out the people who annoy you, the ones who bitch and slate you, the ones who are not worthy of your time. Don't let the emotionally empty suck the goodness from you.

It is hard.

Sometimes you have to mix with people you can not stand or who turns your life sour just by a little contact. You have to learn to deal with some of this. It is impossible to seal yourself off from the arses all the time.

And sometimes you have to just nod and let things slide.

Don't wrestle with pigs; You get dirty and the pigs like it.

HOLA4421

Hard when it's the effect they have on the world I live in that's the problem more than the people themselves (not that I have any love for them either). We're probably talking a majority of the country's population after all, and it would still be a problem to a fair extent even if I thought they were all decent due to the rubbish needed to deal with so many. Trust me, population densities make a huge difference even to almost entirely rural areas (very little of England feels anywhere near remote and quiet even though by area it's mostly rural, and that's horrible).

HOLA4422

The UK is by landmass one of the least developed countries in Europe. If over-development winds you up to the extent that you're clinically depressed about it then really you should be looking to move to emigrate to another (larger) continent.

Alternatively ask yourself what it is about someone else aspiring to a nice house and a decent standard of living that upsets you and work through it to see if it's a solvable problem.

Maybe I shouldn't be having a pop at someone who's already depressed, and maybe the depression is making you irrational, but if we don't have a stable and/or slightly growing population, and the extra houses they will need to live in, then in 20 years we'll have a failed state. If you can't tolerate that then you have a clear choice right now- leave, or struggle on in increasing levels of misery.

HOLA4423

If you were in our living room, and Question Time came on, and a politician began to try to "answer" a question, you'd hear something like the following:

"You bunch of f***ing amateur t***ers. You could take people off the streets and they could do a better job than you. Are you that misguided, that incredibly stupid, as to imagine that would work? Your ideas should have been killed at f***ing birth, not made the light of day in Parliament. If you bunch of f***ing morons are the best that we have, it explains why the country has been going down the toilet for so long"

Does any of that sound familiar?

That's why I don't watch Question Time any more.

The same field is outside my window as has always been there.

For now, anyway.

Edit:

#1: No, I haven't added the swear words for dramatic effect.

#2: It took other people on here to point out to me that I don't *have to* divest my time in such things. I know who you are. And you know who you are. Good call.

HOLA4424

The UK is by landmass one of the least developed countries in Europe. If over-development winds you up to the extent that you're clinically depressed about it then really you should be looking to move to emigrate to another (larger) continent.

Alternatively ask yourself what it is about someone else aspiring to a nice house and a decent standard of living that upsets you and work through it to see if it's a solvable problem.

Maybe I shouldn't be having a pop at someone who's already depressed, and maybe the depression is making you irrational, but if we don't have a stable and/or slightly growing population, and the extra houses they will need to live in, then in 20 years we'll have a failed state. If you can't tolerate that then you have a clear choice right now- leave, or struggle on in increasing levels of misery.

Precisely the type of ignorant drivel that pisses me off.

The UK is one of the most heavily densely populated places in Europe, particularly England (Scotland moves the average for the whole country down quite a bit). It's beyond me how anyone can't notice it.

"What it is about someone else aspiring to a nice house and a decent standard of living that upsets you" - oh please. What a completely and utterly ridiculous conclusion to draw.

"Leave then" doesn't change that it's still happening to something I care about. Talk about massive over-simplification.

A state that needs a continually increasing population, even slightly, is failed already, and is only putting off the inevitable when even the most shortsighted will notice the problems. Since it's already well past optimum for quality of life a slow decline is the best option.

HOLA4425

Archived