House Price Crash Forum

Nosey Doctors

Riedquat

HOLA441

Some things I obsess over, others not. Besides to me what you're calling "obsession" is me calling "putting effort in and doing a good job". Half-arsed any-old-crap-will-do is something we need to discourage in people and replace with more effort.

A large chunk of the rest of humanity may always be destined to disappoint you quite a lot of them will be trying their best already.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Probably. I don't think the doctor will be able to do anything useful.

I'm off work next week and probably going up to Scotland for a few days. I don't have a few weeks to go anywhere. However doing any of that is working from the assumption that it's me that's the problem. I had a bad patch several years ago where it was me. This is not - I think others should feel this way, and if they did we wouldn't have anywhere near as much of the crap. Again that probably sounds arrogant but I'm not in the mood to dress it up in more polite words. This has been building up for years.

In general I don't mind winter, at least on a good day. I'll probably go skiiing some time after Christmas and I prefer cool weather to hot. Early sunsets are a bit annoying though.

my advice..get a hobby with great outdoors.

I used to go rowing...nothing quite like messing about in boats to take your mind off stuff.

could just as well try fishing or mountain biking or something(friend of mine does orienteering)...trust me, it works!..just need to find something that you enjoy and you can spend hours doing.

HOLA445

Too true. 7 months after I had a bad stroke the consultant discharged me, saying that I had recovered as much as possible and that if I could take the dog for a short walk twice a week that's pretty much be it for me. I was devastated.

Not sure if he was using reverse psychology on me, but the next week I was at the gym, sports massage and swimming whI've all got me mobile enough to start work again after 6 years and wheelchair unnecessary. So much for his expensive medical education and years of training and so-called experience with stroke patients. I was only 50 at the time and very fit so gym was second nature. The usual stroke patient is in their 70's. :unsure:

gym gets a bit repetitive though dont you find?

all those horrid looking machines that you do the same thing over and over again on?

something with a bit of variety and change of scenery I find much more interesting

HOLA446

my advice..get a hobby with great outdoors.

I do (or did, don't seem to have done much recently) go walking quite a bit. Usually leaves me feeling angry (roadbuilding over the fells in the name of "footpath repair", more like bloody vandalism). Disused mine exploration get me out too, although there's less of that as well since the exploration society I was a member of stopped and I'm not mad enough to go on my own. Seen some "interesting" things doing that, such as some abandoned dynamite and detonators left at the side of the tunnel.

HOLA447

A large chunk of the rest of humanity may always be destined to disappoint you quite a lot of them will be trying their best already.

I rather suspect that they're not. Or more accurately they haven't found their potential, which is also somewhat less cynical. For example lots of people who seem stupid may very well not be fundamentally stupid, but might've been brought up in an environment where they never had to think.

HOLA448

I rather suspect that they're not. Or more accurately they haven't found their potential, which is also somewhat less cynical. For example lots of people who seem stupid may very well not be fundamentally stupid, but might've been brought up in an environment where they never had to think.

Ok, I think that this is twisting it more than a little rather than confronting that your standards might be unreasonably high.

If you look at the model railway example. You could get dozens of people, with all the right assistance and encouragement, to recreate a grass embankment and none of them will match the quality, level of finish and attention to detail of yours and, not just that, most, even after many attempts, will simply not be able to see why theirs is not up to standard. Oddly if you removed theirs from all the examples and asked them to pick the best they will generally pick the best which is an interesting social experiment that implies they can appreciate high levels of finish but I do actually believe they really can't see where their own efforts fall down to the point they would pass a polygraph test on it.

I don't know what your occupation but I think there is a fortune out there, with your name on it, as a master cabinetmaker or something like that - obviously if you are already a cabinetmaker, I appreciate this is not helpful.

HOLA449

Funny you should say that because it's most definitely not my job. I've generally been rather bad at practical things, which makes the model rather more rewarding, showing that I can actually put something physical together. The (slightly wobbly) board it's all on is the first attempt at woodwork since I was about 10. I've mostly been rather better at breaking things than managing to put them together again.

Anyway it's a dangerous hobby. The drill was sitting on the side a few months ago, I jolted it, it fell, landed on my foot. The bit snapped off and remained in my toe (good job it was only a small 2mm bit really, and that it didn't go right through and nail me to the floor).

HOLA4410

I love your model. Never been a model railway enthusiast myself but can appreciate attention to detail and the results of flow when I see them. Further, they seem like a great community on RMWeb. Very supportive and friendly.

If it is of interest to you, I can tell you that there is often quite a lot of money to be made in showing others how to do something rather than doing it for them (so to use SNACR's example - become someone who shows others how to make cabinets rather than make them yourself). You might not believe you have sufficient skills - but likely you already have than 99% of the population (and likely 70-80% of the railway enthusiast population). Plus it's perhaps something you can do on the side on a job - until or unless it grows.

HOLA4411

Thanks for that. RMWeb seems to have a reputation for being detail-obsessed but I'm finding them a helpful, friendly bunch and they seem to be the same towards anyone trying to do something no matter what the detail. To be honest most model railway people seem to be (there are always a few exceptions but that's true of anything).

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

After the nagging "They'll need to do this / you'll need to tell us that" on the forms they flung at me and the receptionist insisted on the other day when I went along today and pointed out my objections to the nurse who was supposed to do it all said that she was quite happy not to measure, record, or insist on anything. A tiny sliver of faith in people restored.

HOLA4414

After the nagging "They'll need to do this / you'll need to tell us that" on the forms they flung at me and the receptionist insisted on the other day when I went along today and pointed out my objections to the nurse who was supposed to do it all said that she was quite happy not to measure, record, or insist on anything. A tiny sliver of faith in people restored.

Well if she forced you to have your BP measured it'd be through the ceiling anyway.

HOLA4415

when I went along today

Not an expert obviously, but I think if you're in a position to pop along to the doctor's and assert your point of view, you're probably not in too bad shape. I think generalised grumpiness, like sadness, is the sort of thing that can tend lead to depression, but is not specifically part of it. Depression is more like, not being able to cope with life on a day to day basis.

HOLA4416

It's rather more complicated than that.

There are good days and bad days, yesterday was one of my better ones. Also, since the insistince thing is part of the whole pissing me off part then it's easy enough for me to go on about it.

Perhaps the extreme borderline suicidally depressed can't cope with day to day life but that doesn't mean that anything less isn't. Many days I've been barely able to get any work done due to feeling to sick and angry to concentrate (or want to bother). The minimum necessary functions can still carry on.

Generalised grumpiness has been my state of mind for years.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It is SAD time of the year and I'm very surprised a medical related off topic thread has made it to four pages without vitamin D tablets being mentioned.

Same here, first thing I would ask the GP is to check my Vitamin D levels rather than useless tests like weight and blood pressure.

Once you know how deficient of Vitamin D you are you can then try to up your level and see if that helps with your depression too (it will certainly help your immune system so it will benefit you in any case).

HOLA4420

Well if she forced you to have your BP measured it'd be through the ceiling anyway.

Just the fact of going to the dr can send people's BP up anyway.

We were living in Abu Dhabi when I was pregnant for the 2nd time and it was a 45 min drive from our desert construction camp to the hospital. Every time I went they were nagging me about having put on too much weight, or not enough. Whatever I did wasn't right, and BP was always raised.

I took to seeing the company dr on site first, getting him to take my BP and sign it. Invariably OK. So I would show them this, and tell them it was all their nagging, and the mere thought of it, sending my BP up.

Patronising (enough to raise BP anyway!) answer was that I should not be worrying myself about my BP, dear!

You can't win...

HOLA4421

Just the fact of going to the dr can send people's BP up anyway.

Yup. I've had a 24 hour monitor on cos mine is a bit high at the docs/nurses.

I have extreme allergy to sitting waiting in a room for an appointment that will almost certainly be very delayed.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I do (or did, don't seem to have done much recently) go walking quite a bit. Usually leaves me feeling angry (roadbuilding over the fells in the name of "footpath repair", more like bloody vandalism). Disused mine exploration get me out too, although there's less of that as well since the exploration society I was a member of stopped and I'm not mad enough to go on my own. Seen some "interesting" things doing that, such as some abandoned dynamite and detonators left at the side of the tunnel.

Crikey, dynamite can get very unstable after a few years.

I used to explore old hearthstone mines in Surrey. They built the M25 over a lot of them. I was wondering if they had anything to do with the 'pothole' that closed the M25 today, but the mines were further to the west, near Reigate.

HOLA4424

It was more than a few years old, the dynamite would probably have broken down even further by then, probably nothing left of the nitroglycerin (not that I was going to poke it to find out). The detonators on the other hand might well be very unstable. Still, took as wide a berth past the lot as possible.

Found a photo of the same spot after a bit of Googling, https://www.flickr.com/photos/87961617@N00/3228963563 (not my picture)

HOLA4425

Crikey, dynamite can get very unstable after a few years.

I used to explore old hearthstone mines in Surrey. They built the M25 over a lot of them. I was wondering if they had anything to do with the 'pothole' that closed the M25 today, but the mines were further to the west, near Reigate.

A bit like you then? Use dynamite quickly, before it goes off!

Archived