House Price Crash Forum

Nosey Doctors

Riedquat

HOLA441
My view is that unless people are forced to think a bit deeper about the state of the world then mostly they will not. Lots of people are caught up in their career, image, internet, obsessions, hedonistic idiosyncratic world views etc. I can't relate to them but that's just how it is and I also suspect that lots of people aren't content with life.

I think that too, and it's easy enough to be reasonably happy if you don't stop to look and think and keep the distractions coming. It doesn't sound like something to aspire to though - "ignorance is bliss" and the thing about the happiest person in the world is probably the least intelligent. It may be the way to get the best life out of the world as it is but if it's stopping us from getting the best possible life at all then it's a tragedy.

Or I could be arrogantly dumping what I want on others and claiming that they just don't realise that they really want it too. Might be correct but why should anyone belive that?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

GP's get performance pay for measuring basics like bp, weight etc of their patients. I wouldn't take it personally - they just want the money.

Mind you the government has started paying a £55 "bonus" for every new diagnosis of dementia, so watch out if your GP keeps asking you what year it is, and who's the current PM!

Some angle going on there. Disqualified from voting if diagnosed with dementia, maybe.

HOLA445

It's not got to the point yet where I've mentioned any problems to them, this is all to register in the first place (I'd never bothered after moving here since I hadn't needed a doctor).

Forget the checks for a moment.....what do you think a doctor could do for you that you couldn't do for yourself? Are you feeling pressurised by you family to go because they care for you and are worried about your progress and feel they can't help you alone?

Have you thought about going on a retreat for a few weeks to get away from everything, meet new people from all different places and walks of life, recharge your battery, open your mind....many are charitable organisations do some research.....you are the best person to help yourself in the first instance, there is plenty you can do for yourself to change things if you feel things could be better.....down to you.

HOLA446

winkie's advice is good. Even a little more exercise - like regular brisk walks at lunchtime - can buoy up your mood a little, particularly at this time of year.

One of the things that helped my mood considerably was simply to avoid the news - particularly TV news. I'm happy to scan the headlines at the BBC/Guardian/Telegraph - but rarely dip into the stories nowadays. The events discussed in the news makes almost no difference to the average person's life anyhow. TV news seems to be more insidious though - so I no longer allow it to. Also, I found adjusting my news sources a little helped. If you are geek, for example, Wired's relentless optimism helps balance the tech scare stories found elsewhere.

Annoying though they are, the height/weight/BP - and likely urine sample - are good basic diagnostic tests which taken together can give a fuller picture. They might even help reveal an underlying cause for your depression (if you have it). It's wrong that the GP should insist on them, of course, but I guess it's the price of entry nowadays.

Personally, I don't think the world has got worse in my lifetime. It's different, sure - and perhaps you're now looking at it through jaded adult eyes rather than with the fresh discovery of a child.

BTW I made the move back to the countryside a couple of years ago. I now work from home, and commute to the office once a week. If you can manage it, I highly recommend it. There are still plenty of wild(ish) places with low populations out there.

HOLA447

If you are looking for a move to a remoter part of the UK, don't necessarily assume that there are no job opportunities as it is possibly an issue that has been thought about previously. E.g. I believe some power plant pension admin work was moved to the north of Scotland to provide opportunities for employment for spouses of workers at Dounreay. Depending on what you're interested in it might be the case that tolerating being in the general area of large installations in remote areas brings other work opportunities for office type work. Sullom Voe on Orkney may be likewise (Orcadians are very laid back, the lifestyle may suit you to a tee)

Chin up!

HOLA448

It is SAD time of the year and I'm very surprised a medical related off topic thread has made it to four pages without vitamin D tablets being mentioned.

I think the winter time has a really profound effect on peoples moods. Centuries ago people would just spend more time indoors and possibly cope better that way.? Nowadays we have to go through the pretense that life and work goes on as normal. The hamster wheel needs to be kept turning.

The other thing I have noticed is if you are the one to voice your opinion about all the woes in the world this gives everyone around you the the chance to feel better off than you, then you become the problem and someone who needs help, others can avoid their own ills while feeling superior by helping.

HOLA449

Some angle going on there. Disqualified from voting if diagnosed with dementia, maybe.

The only angle, IMO, is that they want to be seen to be 'doing something' about dementia. As if diagnosis is 'doing something' when there is no cure and often far too little help or support available even after diagnosis.

HOLA4410

Weird, I was playing with a bag of very fine lead shot (it's for adding weight to model railway vehicles before you start to wonder) when you said that.

Man, if there's one hobby that's been rendered completely joyless by the advent of the internet and new technology then that's the one. No wonder you're depressed.

Stop reading rmweb and thinking that you have to be building a replica of Birmingham New Street in P4 to be somebody (seriously, I think some nutter is doing just that) and you'll probably feel a lot better.

HOLA4411

Man, if there's one hobby that's been rendered completely joyless by the advent of the internet and new technology then that's the one. No wonder you're depressed.

Stop reading rmweb and thinking that you have to be building a replica of Birmingham New Street in P4 to be somebody (seriously, I think some nutter is doing just that) and you'll probably feel a lot better.

Actually I quite enjoy it. I'm making a model of Kirkby Stephen and have a thread on RMWeb about it. Even had a couple of photos posted on it by a signalman who works there. I've gone for EM instead of P4 and am finding it obviously more work than just chucking down some ready-made bits but far more satisfying. Doing a little bit of work on it is a good distraction (unless it's railways in general that have p1ssed me off, ripping up old signalling and sticking up electrification to make another contribution to a more rushed, uglier, and less characterful world is another thing that gets me down).This is it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Forget the checks for a moment.....what do you think a doctor could do for you that you couldn't do for yourself? Are you feeling pressurised by you family to go because they care for you and are worried about your progress and feel they can't help you alone?

Probably. I don't think the doctor will be able to do anything useful.

Have you thought about going on a retreat for a few weeks to get away from everything, meet new people from all different places and walks of life, recharge your battery, open your mind....many are charitable organisations do some research.....you are the best person to help yourself in the first instance, there is plenty you can do for yourself to change things if you feel things could be better.....down to you.

I'm off work next week and probably going up to Scotland for a few days. I don't have a few weeks to go anywhere. However doing any of that is working from the assumption that it's me that's the problem. I had a bad patch several years ago where it was me. This is not - I think others should feel this way, and if they did we wouldn't have anywhere near as much of the crap. Again that probably sounds arrogant but I'm not in the mood to dress it up in more polite words. This has been building up for years.

In general I don't mind winter, at least on a good day. I'll probably go skiiing some time after Christmas and I prefer cool weather to hot. Early sunsets are a bit annoying though.

HOLA4414

I think doctors are best steered cleared of, can't see how they can help with depression anyway. Try physical remedies like walking miles.

My own doctors are supermarkets, not actually sure who my real doctor is..basically the blood pressure and cholesterol tests

Doctors are very condescending about these checks...eg. one suggested what is the point of cholesterol checks if you are obese. Err. I think I can work out if I am obese.

HOLA4415

Elite and model railways, that must be an unusual mix of interests.

And disused mines, and astronomy, and beer. There's not all that much that I can't find some sort of interest in but those are probably the main ones.

I went for working model trains when I failed to make a working Cobra MkIII :)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Actually I quite enjoy it. I'm making a model of Kirkby Stephen and have a thread on RMWeb about it. Even had a couple of photos posted on it by a signalman who works there. I've gone for EM instead of P4 and am finding it obviously more work than just chucking down some ready-made bits but far more satisfying. Doing a little bit of work on it is a good distraction (unless it's railways in general that have p1ssed me off, ripping up old signalling and sticking up electrification to make another contribution to a more rushed, uglier, and less characterful world is another thing that gets me down).This is it.

Oh my!

What's a sieve gun.

Madness!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

A minority, me included, want to take full responsibility for their own health and only go to a doctor when necessary and do not take kindly to being told what is going to happen. If I visit a doctor it is for a professional diagnosis and advice on appropriate treatments for that particular ailment, I will then decide how to proceed.

Too true. 7 months after I had a bad stroke the consultant discharged me, saying that I had recovered as much as possible and that if I could take the dog for a short walk twice a week that's pretty much be it for me. I was devastated.

Not sure if he was using reverse psychology on me, but the next week I was at the gym, sports massage and swimming whI've all got me mobile enough to start work again after 6 years and wheelchair unnecessary. So much for his expensive medical education and years of training and so-called experience with stroke patients. I was only 50 at the time and very fit so gym was second nature. The usual stroke patient is in their 70's. :unsure:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

It just looks like you have a personality that is prone to obsessing over things. When that obsessing is focused towards landscaping model railways it produces excellent results if it veers off on to the world's problems it will inevitably result in personal misery as they can't be solved by one person carefully applying glue with the right paintbrush.

I know this sounds glib and armchair Freud but it really seems to come across strongly. It's obviously not to be taken lightly but is a job and lifestyle change to something that gives you less time to think feasible. I think such an occupation might be possible without the pendulum swinging too far the other way to over-stressed and run ragged.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

It just looks like you have a personality that is prone to obsessing over things. When that obsessing is focused towards landscaping model railways it produces excellent results if it veers off on to the world's problems it will inevitably result in personal misery as they can't be solved by one person carefully applying glue with the right paintbrush.

I know this sounds glib and armchair Freud but it really seems to come across strongly. It's obviously not to be taken lightly but is a job and lifestyle change to something that gives you less time to think feasible. I think such an occupation might be possible without the pendulum swinging too far the other way to over-stressed and run ragged.

Some things I obsess over, others not. Besides to me what you're calling "obsession" is me calling "putting effort in and doing a good job". Half-arsed any-old-crap-will-do is something we need to discourage in people and replace with more effort.

Archived