House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Riedquat

Nosey Doctors

After getting nagged by both family and work to register with a doctor since everyone has decided I'm depressed (true enough but IMO anyone who isn't depressed about the way everything is going needs their head checking) I've gone along, but the surgery is insisting on sticking their nose in the typical nanny state sounding crap that we get all too often and is part of what's pissing me off so much in the first place.

I can easily enough lie about whatever they simply ask (e.g. alcohol) but they're also insisting on measuring weight and height and blood pressure. I object to this because I find it unacceptable to insist on this, but if I refuse and they then refuse to register me are they denying me access to medical treatment? After all it's something that they'll never ask again, so weight and blood pressure measurements will end up out of date before long anyway, and I strongly believe that they've got no business checking anything at all unless I ask them to or a doctor thinks it's relevent to something I'm seeing them about. By all means offer this, that's good, insisting is disgusting.

Tell them having seen what life is like for those working in a state sector bureaucracy your outlook on life has improved.

It is out of control though. I am looking to launch a charity record called 'just say no to statins' to put these greedy state-sponsored drug pushers in their place.

Tell them having seen what life is like for those working in a state sector bureaucracy your outlook on life has improved.

It is out of control though. I am looking to launch a charity record called 'just say no to statins' to put these greedy state-sponsored drug pushers in their place.

Great idea. I stopped taking mine a month ago while I have a course of antibiotics that clash with statins. Had to point this out to the gp though. I haven't felt better in years. I'm going to seriously consider whether I go back on them in January.

It's not got to the point yet where I've mentioned any problems to them, this is all to register in the first place (I'd never bothered after moving here since I hadn't needed a doctor).

I have a "terminal" illness. They still ask me for BP etc., and I get scowled at when I ask them this is going to prolong my life, how?

My prescription induced illnesses include cataracts from steroid use for hay fever (and they screwed up the operation making the sight worse) and crippling tendonitis from ciprofloxacin antibiotic, which could be permanent.

I would assume they have targets to get a percentage of their practice on statins, BP meds etc.

I don't expect them to be able to do anything whatsoever. I'm mostly doing it because I'm getting fed up with the nagging, and at least it means something gets put down officially at work when it's noted I'm not doing as much as I was and am snapping at people rather more often.

Why on earth do you object to letting the doctors measure your height, weight and blood pressure. Surely these are fundamental measurements that are yardsticks to measure changes that are occurring?

Refusal would indicate that you are more than depressed.

If you are depressed then perhaps it would be a good idea not to lie about your alcohol intake? Is that why you don’t want any registration examinations, in case alcohol use is high lighted?

Just asking

Why on earth do you object to letting the doctors measure your height, weight and blood pressure. Surely these are fundamental measurements that are yardsticks to measure changes that are occurring?

Because it's a conversation starter to getting you on some drugs you almost certainly don't need. 'Oh look, your BMI says you're technically obese, have some of these drugs', 'you've got high blood pressure, have some more drugs' and 'ok so a close relative has recently died this isn't some normal grief that will heal with time it's depression, have even more drugs'.

'What's that you say, new ailments since you started taking the drugs, almost certainly coincidence, and in any case we've got more drugs for that'

I can easily enough lie about whatever they simply ask (e.g. alcohol) but they're also insisting on measuring weight and height and blood pressure. I object to this because I find it unacceptable to insist on this, but if I refuse and they then refuse to register me are they denying me access to medical treatment? After all it's something that they'll never ask again, so weight and blood pressure measurements will end up out of date before long anyway, and I strongly believe that they've got no business checking anything at all unless I ask them to or a doctor thinks it's relevent to something I'm seeing them about. By all means offer this, that's good, insisting is disgusting.

Sorry to hear that people around you are worried you're depressed.

Whether you are or not, most people go through patches of it at some point in their lives so it wouldn't be that unusual.

Hopefully some knowledgeable posters will be along at some point to advise whether there's a way to see a doctor without those checks.

In the mean time perhaps you could use it as an excuse to treat yourself to a decent holiday.. a change is as good as a rest and all that :)

Is there a pill for paranoia?

No you just need horrid neighbours who will make you paranoid.

And just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not talking about you.

Because they'll just use it to nag about things like weight. I know I need to lose some weight, I don't need nagging about it.

Because it's none of their fvcking business to check anything unless I ask them to or have good reason to suspect it might be relevent to something else I want sorting out. It's another symptom of nosey, interfering nannying crap that I'm completely sick of. It's not paranoia. I'm not worried about it revealing anything I don't want to know about, or being misused. I just completely and utterly despise that attitude that would think about insisting on it in the first place. I'm not being checked for becoming an astronaut or deep sea diver when it's necessary to ensure that my health is up to it.

In the mean time perhaps you could use it as an excuse to treat yourself to a decent holiday.. a change is as good as a rest and all that :)

The crap that gets me down will still be here when I get back. Most people (including most of HPC, since "more building" is part of it) want it, so it isn't going away.

Because they'll just use it to nag about things like weight. I know I need to lose some weight, I don't need nagging about it.Because it's none of their fvcking business to check anything unless I ask them to or have good reason to suspect it might be relevent to something else I want sorting out. It's another symptom of nosey, interfering nannying crap that I'm completely sick of. It's not paranoia. I'm not worried about it revealing anything I don't want to know about, or being misused. I just completely and utterly despise that attitude that would think about insisting on it in the first place. I'm not being checked for becoming an astronaut or deep sea diver when it's necessary to ensure that my health is up to it.

I get what you're saying. This stuff grips my sh!t too but more so when it comes to weighing and measuring my kids.

I get what you're saying. This stuff grips my sh!t too but more so when it comes to weighing and measuring my kids.

I can imagine. It would be fine, good even, if they offered a checkup upon registration. Insisting on it however is a completely different kettle of fish.

Recently joined a new doctors, there was a section asking about alcohol intake by units. Left it blank. The receptionist pulled me up on it asking if had missed it. I said no, i did see it.

I remember my father was in hospital with COPD. A doctor came out and said it was life style that had brought him to this.

Of course the doctor never thought to ask what he had done for a living.