House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest eight

Seamless Music

Guest eight

When I got my first CD player, many years ago, it would play music that spanned across tracks with no stutter, pause or discernible break in the sound at all. Now I do not have a single device, including digital ones, including the car's CD and USB players, that can deal with this phenomenon without inserting even a short break between the tracks. What gives?

They're rubbish? :)

iTunes has gapless playback option, as do many other media players.

I think the fact that specific CDs should be gapless needs to be recorded in the metadata tags for digital files (MP3 etc). I don't know why a gapless CD (live recordings etc) would suddenly have gaps when played on another CD player if it's an original or a direct copy. If it's a CD that you've burned from individual tracks, then I don't know how you would ensure it is gapless on playback....

I've never had this experience, all gapless CDs and digital albums play fine for me on different devices, so you're clearly doing something wrong! ;)

Guest eight

I've never had this experience, all gapless CDs and digital albums play fine for me on different devices, so you're clearly doing something wrong! ;)

I drive a Kia Ceed. Could that be it? :lol:

Unless there's some metadata indicating it AIUI MP3s can't be reliably gapless. Something about them being encoded in fixed length blocks, so the length of the track is always rounded up to the next block. Software could try to see if there's silence at the end of the last block and ignore it but then it's makes the assumption that there's not supposed to be a gap.

Perhaps other formats don't have the same problem, MP3 is pretty old and croaky now.

ITunes on windows played thru an external high quality dac to my HiFi

Does gapless mp3 and lossless playback very well

Dunno about iPods and iPhone etc