House Price Crash Forum
thecrashingisles

Boris Johnson: We Need Free Movement Between Britain And Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/world/let-australians-live-and-work-in-britain-london-mayor-boris-johnson-backs-migration-report-20141103-11fwfn.html

He - and the report - propose a "bilateral mobility zone" agreement between Australia and Britain, modelled on the trans-Tasman agreement between Australia and New Zealand.

Any Australian or New Zealander who wanted to travel to, live and work in Britain would get a free visa – although they would not get immediate access to welfare support.

The same would apply for British citizens who wanted to work in Australia.

"Extra Brits would never be seen as alien," the report predicted.

"Nor would Aussies or Kiwis in Britain. The issue may come down to political climates and the resulting political will.

"It would certainly allow a greater flourishing of our common unity.

"The UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand share the same head of state, the same language and the same common-law legal system. Critically, they are all highly economically developed democracies and there is also a distinct common culture and familial bond between them.

"Taken together this has led some to ask why policies of free movement don't already exist."

Guest UK Debt Slave

There has always been free movement from Australia to Britain. However for most Brits they are not allowed to live and work there.

They want to keep us Brits here, in their "free range" prison camp

If it was as easy to emigrate to America, Canada, Oz and NZ as it was was 30 years ago, all the skilled people would have left already.

I'm married to a US citizen since 2008 and I STILL can't get residency in the USA

Edited by UK Debt Slave

Good god (Uk debt slave).....I have heard about people trying to get their spouse into the UK for 2 or 3 years but this......

Does she have a loud voice or something?

Edit...oh too America....why would you want to do that?

Edited by council dweller

Guest UK Debt Slave

Good god (Uk debt slave).....I have heard about people trying to get their spouse into the UK for 2 or 3 years but this......

Does she have a loud voice or something?

Edit...oh too America....why would you want to do that?

A long long saga that I can't be bothered to go into details about here

Guest UK Debt Slave

We certain need free movement between here and there, so we can sent that posh out of touch idiot there on a one way ticket.

Better just to put Boris and every MP in Wesminster on a boat, float it out into Scapa Flow and sink it.

I wouldn't hesitate to press the big red button with FIRE written on it

Better just to put Boris and every MP in Wesminster on a boat, float it out into Scapa Flow and sink it.

I wouldn't hesitate to press the big red button with FIRE written on it

Join the queue. Just think of all the lives saved.

They want to keep us Brits here, in their "free range" prison camp

If it was as easy to emigrate to America, Canada, Oz and NZ as it was was 30 years ago, all the skilled people would have left already.

I'm married to a US citizen since 2008 and I STILL can't get residency in the USA

Yup. It'll be a one way thing. They know most brits would rather australia anyday.

We're the worlds dumping ground...not the other way round.

Just struck me that Australia is very asian now...would Boris be wanting his "friends" who paid twice what a flat is worth in london to be allowed to move into their executive apartments ?

When I see these sort of stories you realise they will NOT stop immigration. Only the British people can stop immigration by voting UKIP/Independents or by mass protests.

Any Australian or New Zealander who wanted to travel to, live and work in Britain would get a free visa - ...

So he seems to be insisting that they're welcome if they come to work. Isn't that a more onerous condition than for a lot of non-Australians/New Zealanders.

Also it sounds very like UKIP's policy for everyone overseas - plus their policy of trading more with the old Commonwealth..

Not that he would renege on it if elected or anything.

Edited by billybong

Great idea. I can move from one housing bubble. To an even bigger housing bubble!

What happened to the gargantuan 'Australia faces its demons' thread? Love that thread

Edited by aSecureTenant

We do have free movement with OZ, should you have the required skills.

No. You need the right skills. Be the right age. Have a minimum amount of 'investment' money. Have a sponsorship from a company requiring those skills.

Or... if you are an Aussi - You can tip up here and get a job in a bar, get fixed up on the NHS. Tax credits, Housing benefit. Run up loads of credit card debts and then bugger off back to Oz.

No. You need the right skills. Be the right age. Have a minimum amount of 'investment' money. Have a sponsorship from a company requiring those skills.

Or... if you are an Aussi - You can tip up here and get a job in a bar, get fixed up on the NHS. Tax credits, Housing benefit. Run up loads of credit card debts and then bugger off back to Oz.

so why is this not the case in europe?

At least i can understand the aussie toilet attendant saying "no splash..no gash"

One of my ZOPA borrowers did just that. ID skip27 I wonder if he had done it 26 times before.