House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver2

Malicious Website Accessed By My Son Via Pop-Up Leads To Third Party Mobile Subscription Costs. Help.

Long and short of this is I left my son on my android platform tablet to watch a cartoon this afternoon while I painted my shed and he entered a competition (not intentionally he's 3 years old).

I only found out as the company sent me an sms informing me that I entered a competition 3 times and have billed my three account £15 so far and £4.50 per week plus £1.50 for each additional unsolicited message thereafter. I phoned three who confirmed this and said there is nothing they can do as it's a third party agreement I have entered into :(

I have texted STOP to the companies 6 digit code and their terms state unless confirmation is received back from them (which it has't) then I am to assume I haven't unsubscribed from their service.

The email address they provide for correspondence goes unanswered according to other people who have fallen victim to this as does their standard telephone (area code 0203) where a voice recorded message asks you to leave your name and mobile number and they say they get back to you within 48 hours (and they don't).

So in addition to the STOP sms I've left a message on their answer phone and an email both requesting that they unsubscribe me from their competitions and services.

I also intend to send a letter by recorded delivery to their PO Box address (ominous in itself).

Other than that what should I do? Would changing my mobile number through my operator do the trick if all else fails?

Lessons learned.

LongTom, children should not have the internet every day! It'scary!

LongTom, children should not have the internet every day! It'scary!

They don't... it's the w/end I'm on my own I've got jobs to do and I don't want him under my feet armed with a paint brush of dubious chemicals and a ladder he was trying to climb. It's not an every day thing - that said I take your point.

You haven't entered into any agreement, and on that basis i`d contest the charge with the operator. If they won`t sort it out terminate the contract.

This is a slippery company and I haven't got the fight in me. I explained to my network operator that the competition page states that by entering the competition you afe over 16 years of age (which he was't) but they don't care. I could not pay my bill but then I'd trash my credit rating which won't do me any favors come re-mortgage. I just want it to stop here and draw a line under this.

Good finds there thanks Bloo Loo.

ThePiltDownMan: prizefun

I've decided the simplest solution is to change my mobile number asap and master reset the tablets removing all malware/apps and put them out of harms way or fleabay!!

Fixed line and mobile service providers won't do anything for you unless you really kick up a fuss. They passively earn millions from this kind of thing, as they do with toll fraud like VoIP hacking.

Hotairmail and Blobbloblob have it right between them. The mobile companies make a fortune from this. It will come down to the ombudsman.

Can you contact your card provider and cancel your card on the phone?

I suggest you try the Moneysavingexpert forums as I suspect they will have covered similar in the past.

This is a slippery company and I haven't got the fight in me. I explained to my network operator that the competition page states that by entering the competition you afe over 16 years of age (which he was't) but they don't care. I could not pay my bill but then I'd trash my credit rating which won't do me any favors come re-mortgage. I just want it to stop here and draw a line under this.

so block the number.

tell your phone provider this was done accidentally by your young son..and the terms of this accident stipulate he was below age of consent to enter...and you did not give consent.

say this is malicious "malware" type nigerian phone lottey scam or something

that way you are legally covered.

so block the number.

tell your phone provider this was done accidentally by your young son..and the terms of this accident stipulate he was below age of consent to enter...and you did not give consent.

You will need to raise this as a formal written complaint to the network. Follow their complaints procedure, and make it clear that:

1. Your son is below the age of consent as stated by the service

2. You wish have attempted to cancel several times, but the service provider has failed to acknowledge or act on repeated requests

3. You wish the network provide to block all further "reverse charge" text messages from this company with immediate effect

4. You wish the charges for the unauthorized and unsolicited (i.e. those sent after you sent the "STOP" notification) messages to be refunded in full .

If you don't get a satisfactory resolution from the network provider (and in general they tend to be reluctant to give them, as these services are very lucrative for them), then complain to the ombudsman, who do tend to be rather more reasonable.

At the same time, you should complain to "phone pay plus" which is the regulator for premium rate and subscription services.

In particular, you should make clear to PPP that you have repeatedly asked the company to cease the service and that they have failed to do so. While PPP generally won't be able to get you a refund, they can and do shut these scam companies down.

There's a thread on giffgaff forums about the same thing where there's an app installed that creates a message in the outbox. That SB7Media has loads of brand names.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Unsolicited-text-to-65222-waiting-to-be-sent-in-outbox/td-p/12169150/page/6

If it were my tablet I'd backup the data and do a full factory reset, although maybe you want to preserve the details if it goes to ombudsman.

You will need to raise this as a formal written complaint to the network. Follow their complaints procedure, and make it clear that:

1. Your son is below the age of consent as stated by the service

2. You wish have attempted to cancel several times, but the service provider has failed to acknowledge or act on repeated requests

3. You wish the network provide to block all further "reverse charge" text messages from this company with immediate effect

4. You wish the charges for the unauthorized and unsolicited (i.e. those sent after you sent the "STOP" notification) messages to be refunded in full .

If you don't get a satisfactory resolution from the network provider (and in general they tend to be reluctant to give them, as these services are very lucrative for them), then complain to the ombudsman, who do tend to be rather more reasonable.

At the same time, you should complain to "phone pay plus" which is the regulator for premium rate and subscription services.

In particular, you should make clear to PPP that you have repeatedly asked the company to cease the service and that they have failed to do so. While PPP generally won't be able to get you a refund, they can and do shut these scam companies down.

Thank you.

I couldn't have asked for a more comprehensive 'to do' list which I will including the complaint route laid out here.

Could this have happened if your tablet was using wifi?

The tablet was using wifi albeit a mobile phone tethered 'hot' spot. I have in-app purchases disabled in settings by the way.

Unbelievably, I got a call this morning from this competition service provider and they've agreed to refund the charges and block my number in future.

Money not in the bank yet. We'll see!! I can stop blowing hot air now.

The tablet was using wifi albeit a mobile phone tethered 'hot' spot. I have in-app purchases disabled in settings by the way.

Unbelievably, I got a call this morning from this competition service provider and they've agreed to refund the charges and block my number in future.

Money not in the bank yet. We'll see!! I can stop blowing hot air now.

thats amazing...you secured the unit yet still got caught...

Hopefully a happy outcome though.