House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Tastes (Food)

Partly based on the assumption that we like the tastes of things that are in some way beneficial to us.

Why do cheap cuts of beef taste (and especially smell during cooking) so horrible? It must be providing all the same energy and protein and other chemicals. Why does cooked chicken taste so weird if you try and reuse it in a cooked dish. Why do boiled potatoes taste so different from baked potatoes, and boiled (old) potatoes in their skins taste horrible. Why do things like stews, hotpots, hearty soups often taste better the next day? Why are some oils quite tasty (rapeseed, olive) and others are revolting (sunflower, thistle) and the one that's supposed to be best, fish oil, is positively foul.

And why do some tastes combine so badly. Why do dishes with multiple meats seem so odd? (There are a couple of example, e.g tagines, but it seems pretty rare the world over). Tea and coffee. Oranges and lemons. Why does lime juice go so well with many asian dishes and lemon juice with mediterranean dishes, but not the other way round, despite being so similar? Why are beans good in chilli, but just weird in curry (that might just be habit).

Just wondering.

A lot of it is indeed cultural. People from different culinary cultures won't necessarily share your tastes. We in Blighty (along with other traditional trading nations) are privileged with a much wider range of world cuisines than most of the world.

But - for example, I can take a dish that is to the British taste mildly spiced, and get reactions from an Austrian friend who finds it too hot to eat, to a Singapore friend who finds it rather bland. Or to take another example, there are dishes I find too salty for my taste, but which an Italian would insist on smothering in lots more salt.

On the other hand, some flavours just work beautifully together. Peas and mint. Tomatoes and basil. Fennel and ginger. Onion, garlic and chilli. Port and stilton. Stop it, I'm making me hungry :blink:

On the other hand, some flavours just work beautifully together. Peas and mint. Tomatoes and basil. Fennel and ginger. Onion, garlic and chilli. Port and stilton. Stop it, I'm making me hungry :blink:

after and eights

Cook from basic natural, seasonal, and healthy food stuffs.....pick and mix the foods and flavours, herbs and spices you prefer....no artificial flavourings, no preservatives or no colourings.....agree slow cooking is good, and something slow cooked is better the day after it is cooked. ;)

Cook from basic natural, seasonal, and healthy food stuffs.....pick and mix the foods and flavours, herbs and spices you prefer....no artificial flavourings, no preservatives or no colourings.....agree slow cooking is good, and something slow cooked is better the day after it is cooked. ;)

Ideal for slow eaters.

Ideal for slow eaters.

Bolting it down.....thus unable to taste, tend to eat more, generates wind and indigestion......savour every mouthful. ;)

Bolting it down.....thus unable to taste, tend to eat more, generates wind and indigestion......savour every mouthful. ;)

Oh dear, I am rather good at that!

Why is dog meat so utterly delicious?

I'm not sure it is, it's more that you work up a good appetite chasing after them in the park.

I'm not sure it is, it's more that you work up a good appetite chasing after them in the park.

Are you Korean, Mr Kim?

Why do cheap cuts of beef taste (and especially smell during cooking) so horrible?

Which ones? How cheap? I've often not liked brisket - but otherwise I usually like cheap beef such as stewing steak and braising steak and love the smell when they are cooking.

Oranges and lemons. Why does lime juice go so well with many asian dishes and lemon juice with mediterranean dishes, but not the other way round, despite being so similar?

Can't say I know the answer.. but as some interesting trivia, the oil that gives oranges and lemons their distinctive smell/flavour (limonene) is actually exactly the same molecule in both fruits except one is structurally the mirror opposite of the other.

These types of molecules with equal/opposite partners are known as chiral molecules.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/molecule/04exp.htm

Can't say I know the answer.. but as some interesting trivia, the oil that gives oranges and lemons their distinctive smell/flavour (limonene) is actually exactly the same molecule in both fruits except one is structurally the mirror opposite of the other.

These types of molecules with equal/opposite partners are known as chiral molecules.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/molecule/04exp.htm

They also make a fantastic mix for those hot summer days. Squeeze about ten oranges (smallish moroccan ones are great for it) with a couple of lemons, and you have a jug of juice more delicious than anything the supermarkets will sell. Too good even to mix with gin or vodka.

A lot of it is indeed cultural. People from different culinary cultures won't necessarily share your tastes. We in Blighty (along with other traditional trading nations) are privileged with a much wider range of world cuisines than most of the world.

But - for example, I can take a dish that is to the British taste mildly spiced, and get reactions from an Austrian friend who finds it too hot to eat, to a Singapore friend who finds it rather bland. Or to take another example, there are dishes I find too salty for my taste, but which an Italian would insist on smothering in lots more salt.

I'll have to try some Austrian food as anything spicier than roast beef and Yorkshire pudding as too hot for me to eat.

I'll have to try some Austrian food as anything spicier than roast beef and Yorkshire pudding as too hot for me to eat.

Extra hot raw fresh grated horseradish...Mmmmmmmmmm

Wimp! You need some chicken naga!

Wimp! You need some chicken naga!

Interesting you should say that.

On the rare occasions that I've eaten at an Indian restaurant (I always order steak and chips with no sauce), my fellow diners seem to treat it as a competition to force the hottest curries they can stand down their throats, from the expressions on their faces they don't look like they're really enjoying it.

On the rare occasions that I've eaten at an Indian restaurant (I always order steak and chips with no sauce), my fellow diners seem to treat it as a competition to force the hottest curries they can stand down their throats, from the expressions on their faces they don't look like they're really enjoying it.

You have clearly met my good old mate John, who goes for the hottest ever!

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to curry. I like it mild and creamy but I do have a penchant for lime pickle with papadum.