House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Virgin Galatic Down - Broke Up, Crew Missing.

Being reported on BBC & Zerohedge now.

Ss2 blew up. Came down in pieces. At one of debris sites.

Parabolicarc.com (@spacecom) October 31, 2014

Back in Mojave now. Ss2 had trouble with engine burn, blew up, came down in pieces near Koehn Lake.

Parabolicarc.com (@spacecom) October 31, 2014

:(

If I remember right, a technician was killed by one the engines detonating in a test burn a year or two ago. Surprising as the hybrid engines they are using should be very safe...

Very sad but why can't some people just talk plainly (oops) anymore. The virgin team said the vehicle had suffered an "in flight anomaly" which sounds almost benign considering its obviously in small pieces all over the desert.

Very sad but why can't some people just talk plainly (oops) anymore. The virgin team said the vehicle had suffered an "in flight anomaly" which sounds almost benign considering its obviously in small pieces all over the desert.

I suspect it's a mixture of PR speak together with the language used by people who work in the field. The black box voice recordings of pilots are filled with similar phrases rather than "OMFG, we're doomed". Like motor racing, it tends to attract boring sounding, calm under pressure types.

Sadly, it's not surprising. Back in the 80s, I think I remember one leading space scientist saying the construction of the ISS would lead to deaths simply on the basis of probability of failure over that number of flights. Space flight is anything but safe. They were proved right, of course.

Sadly, it's not surprising. Back in the 80s, I think I remember one leading space scientist saying the construction of the ISS would lead to deaths simply on the basis of probability of failure over that number of flights. Space flight is anything but safe. They were proved right, of course.

The same is true, of course, for roads, railways, canals, cycle paths etc. Modern society has a great deal of difficulty with the basic reality of sh1t happens.

I suspect it's a mixture of PR speak together with the language used by people who work in the field. The black box voice recordings of pilots are filled with similar phrases rather than "OMFG, we're doomed". Like motor racing, it tends to attract boring sounding, calm under pressure types.

Well right in the respect that people have died during space flight but wrong in the respect that no one has yet died in activities relating to the ISS, either during construction or operation as far as I'm aware.

Richard needs to put his name forward for the first few flights....that hamburger moment to prove your product is safe.

I believe the original plan was to make 200+ test flights before any paying passengers would be allowed on board.

The sad part is that people have been saying for years that the engine design they picked wasn't safe enough for a commercial vehicle, and now it looks like they've been proven correct. I believe it's the only manned vehicle using a hybrid rocket engine, which has some theoretical advantages compared to traditional engines, but can also display a lot of the problems of solid rockets (e.g. a bumpy ride and a tendency to toss chunks of fuel into the exhaust).

I'm getting a cheap ticket, by booking up in advance, before they finish getting it right!