House Price Crash Forum

Calais Mayor "uk Benefits" A Magnet For Immigrants

HOLA441

Identification of the root cause of unwanted immigration is more likely to do something to resolve the problem. The UK shooting itself in the foot and leaving the EU will not stop unwanted immigration as long as the UK is seen as the soft touch that it is. Do something about the low wage economy that thrives on housing benefit and tax credit subsidies and the UK will compete on a level playing field with the rest of the EU.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Slave labour and overcrowded slums.....coming to a place near you??.....for some it is something far better than they have ever had before...others get rich from it, the rest see it around them and feel helpless to do anything about it apart from fear it.

Edited by winkie

HOLA445

Amazing a French mayor talks more sense about Britain than any British politician I have heard. Ask a British politician how to fiddle their expense account or how to swap their main residence to maximise profits and they are world class leaders. Benefit system they are totally out of touch.

I know the OP is against UKIP but unless we threaten LIBLABCON with losing power nothing will change. Can't see UKIP as a real answer to anything just a stepping stone we have to use to get some where different.

HOLA446

Maybe be we need to open a work camp for the migrants.

We could shackle them up at night, work them on the roads breaking rocks. Keep them on rations of bread and water. Dock their pay for their flight home. Word would soon get around. Seriously, anyone coming from anywhere hotter will soon want to leave after 1 UK winter living in an shed and not having the right clothes.

The ones on the news last night were purely economic migrants.

Maybe scrapping the rich EU farmers subsidy and letting agriculture develop in Africa would be cheaper than the tax payers subbing farmers, and then having to sub the people who pick the crops??

HOLA447

Spyguy wrote:

"Maybe scrapping the rich EU farmers subsidy and letting agriculture develop in Africa would be cheaper than the tax payers subbing farmers, and then having to sub the people who pick the crops??"

I would not like us to become reliant for our food supply on a continent as unstable as Africa. If I were in Prime Minister my 2 biggest priorities would be to achieve 100% food and energy self suffiency for the UK, even if we had to make painful sacrifices to achieve it.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Maybe be we need to open a work camp for the migrants.

We could shackle them up at night, work them on the roads breaking rocks. Keep them on rations of bread and water. Dock their pay for their flight home. Word would soon get around. Seriously, anyone coming from anywhere hotter will soon want to leave after 1 UK winter living in an shed and not having the right clothes.

The ones on the news last night were purely economic migrants.

Maybe scrapping the rich EU farmers subsidy and letting agriculture develop in Africa would be cheaper than the tax payers subbing farmers, and then having to sub the people who pick the crops??

Really? youre telling me eritrea isnt a country composed entirely of males of working age?!

Well. i'll be!

They come here because we speak english, we have means tested benefits, and the english are too nice for their own good...not even just government, the english. No other peoples of the world would stand for this, they'd hound them out.

Edited by Executive Sadman

HOLA4410

Spyguy wrote:

"Maybe scrapping the rich EU farmers subsidy and letting agriculture develop in Africa would be cheaper than the tax payers subbing farmers, and then having to sub the people who pick the crops??"

I would not like us to become reliant for our food supply on a continent as unstable as Africa. If I were in Prime Minister my 2 biggest priorities would be to achieve 100% food and energy self suffiency for the UK, even if we had to make painful sacrifices to achieve it.

We are reliant on world markets for food. A combination of direct imports and the petrochemical products that have massively boosted production in Europe since 1945.

Sustainable food and energy supplies might just work if we got rid of 90% of the current population. Or thereabouts.

HOLA4411

If I were in Prime Minister my 2 biggest priorities would be to achieve 100% food and energy self suffiency for the UK, even if we had to make painful sacrifices to achieve it.

Haha, WW2 finished 70 years ago - do you really think that Irish, Polish, Spanish, Bulgarians and French are going to stop selling us Potatoes, onions and meat.

The UK should concentrate on more productive things like Germany does, it should not aim to be a 3rd rate country like Poland that just grows potatoes.

The energy efficiency problem is easy to solve with a few more neucular reactors, but the propaganda from the oil industry has spurred a large interest group of NIMBY's to put a stop to that.

HOLA4412

Haha, WW2 finished 70 years ago - do you really think that Irish, Polish, Spanish, Bulgarians and French are going to stop selling us Potatoes, onions and meat.

The UK should concentrate on more productive things like Germany does, it should not aim to be a 3rd rate country like Poland that just grows potatoes.

The energy efficiency problem is easy to solve with a few more neucular reactors, but the propaganda from the oil industry has spurred a large interest group of NIMBY's to put a stop to that.

Its not a question of not trading...its a question of having the ability to not trade, because of war...or because you just want to stick two fingers up at the rest of the world (ie the yanks) who if you dont invade every country with them, or let their companies steal your oil, they go full on psycho towards you, as they have done Russia or Venezuela.

HOLA4413

What the Mayor of Calais suggests is:

i) introduce an ID card system

ii) cut benefits

iii) prison for anyone employing an illegal immigrant in the UK

she should join UKIP :-)

Who would have thought the UK is an Eldorado compared to France, hundreds of thousands of both illegal and legal immigrants fleeing France. I can understand the people of Calais being fed-up but they should never have let the immigrants and people traffikers establish themselves in their town; they've created their own hell really.

HOLA4414

Identification of the root cause of unwanted immigration is more likely to do something to resolve the problem. The UK shooting itself in the foot and leaving the EU will not stop unwanted immigration as long as the UK is seen as the soft touch that it is. Do something about the low wage economy that thrives on housing benefit and tax credit subsidies and the UK will compete on a level playing field with the rest of the EU.

It'll increase the proportion of immigration made-up of the immigrants people really don't want. The talk is always about EU immigrants because people know they can get away with it without being labelled racist, the elephant in the room is never discussed.

She might've done us a huge favour there. Blast through that stupid lie that benefits here are that seventy quid a week or so pocket money.

Can a foreigner succeed where the likes of Frank Field and IDS have hit a brick wall?

The gross national income per capita of somewhere like Ethiopia is $470, the average wage is probably less than half of that. So £36 a week, 10x what they earn there, will seem a fortune (they won't even consider what living expenses are like here). If some country was offering £4000 a week in benefits, no questions asked, they'd have to deal with a flood of chavs trying to get there from the UK.

Spyguy wrote:

WTF? :rolleyes: We couldn't even do that during WW2. Say goodbye to bananas, peaches, pineapples, citrus fruit etc. Maybe you would build masses and masses of greenhouses to grow them and still fail to meet demand (at the expense of other crops).

HOLA4415

It'll increase the proportion of immigration made-up of the immigrants people really don't want. The talk is always about EU immigrants because people know they can get away with it without being labelled racist, the elephant in the room is never discussed.

The gross national income per capita of somewhere like Ethiopia is $470, the average wage is probably less than half of that. So £36 a week, 10x what they earn there, will seem a fortune (they won't even consider what living expenses are like here). If some country was offering £4000 a week in benefits, no questions asked, they'd have to deal with a flood of chavs trying to get there from the UK.

WTF? :rolleyes: We couldn't even do that during WW2. Say goodbye to bananas, peaches, pineapples, citrus fruit etc. Maybe you would build masses and masses of greenhouses to grow them and still fail to meet demand (at the expense of other crops).

Maybe Sir Bob Geldolf could house them?

He made us feed them. He can house them.

HOLA4416

What the Mayor of Calais suggests is:

i) introduce an ID card system

ii) cut benefits

iii) prison for anyone employing an illegal immigrant in the UK

she should join UKIP :-)

Who would have thought the UK is an Eldorado compared to France, hundreds of thousands of both illegal and legal immigrants fleeing France. I can understand the people of Calais being fed-up but they should never have let the immigrants and people traffikers establish themselves in their town; they've created their own hell really.

I think a lot of it is just cultural, not government. Even with various sanctions on free speech, the French/Germans/Italians will gladly give outsiders a piece of their mind without being ganged up on by some bleeding heart types.

While its nice to be nice, the trouble is if everyone else isnt, we get taken for a ride and they all end up bypassing france/germany/italy and ending up here.

HOLA4417

While its nice to be nice, the trouble is if everyone else isnt, we get taken for a ride and they all end up bypassing france/germany/italy and ending up here.

To be fair to the Italians it is absolutely chock full of illegal immigrants at the moment. They rescued 150,000 boat people alone last year, that's a town the size of Bournemouth.

HOLA4418

Maybe Sir Bob Geldolf could house them?

He made us feed them. He can house them.

If he could still feed them they could stay at home.

I can't've been the only one to see at the time that Geldof's famine aid would cause more suffering than it saved. If the problem is more people than the land will sustain, you don't solve it by ramping up the population!

(I could've supported famine relief if it had been accompanied by emergency measures to reduce birth rates to prevent the problem getting worse).

HOLA4419

To be fair to the Italians it is absolutely chock full of illegal immigrants at the moment. They rescued 150,000 boat people alone last year, that's a town the size of Bournemouth.

Yeah, it's Geldof all over again. A few gunboats to sink the illegal migrants might actually work better in the longer run.

Though perhaps the least bad real-life solution for the EU in general and Italy in particular would be a deal to pay North African countries (without welfare systems for aliens) to do the pickups and take them back to the south side of the med.

Oh, and Italy has had the problem for many years. I saw them and heard/read their stories when I moved to Rome in the early '90s. Lots of illegal Africans who'd much rather go back home if they could afford to. The smugglers promise them work, but then just give them a bag of worthless bangles to try and sell illegally in the streets. By the time the victims learn their harsh lesson it's far too late to back out.

HOLA4420

and why don't we send 'em home, well this except may give a clue

It was the bi-weekly meeting of the security chiefs. The President paced the room, frowning, you could feel the storm approaching. "Where are we with drug dealers in St Denis", he asked the prefect. "We need to take back control of the apartment blocks, one by one, make it impossible for the dealers to operate. A guy driving round in a new BMW 7 series, well the tax authorities should be asking where the money is coming from. I'm controlled all the time by the IRS, they say its for my protection." "Yeah, you must be one of the most protected people in the country", chuckled the interior minister.

The prefect hemmed and hawed "it's not easy, the place is full of illegals, squats, slums and shanty towns everywhere, its the third world, it is almost impossible to operate down there, it is a no go zone for the authorities totally chaotic. When we do arrest an illegal the courts release them"[. Another minister interjected "it is impossible to send anyone back, we know where they come from but we can't get visas from their embassies, they don't want them, without a visa we can't put them on a plane."

At this the President exploded in a tirade, "don't want them, well I tell you f***ing what, you tell the f****ing ambassadors that we don't want any of their people, no visas for anyone, they can stay in their sh*tty little countries and forget about shopping for their Louis Vuitton bags on the Champs. Organise a meeting, get the ambassadors from all the countries in here on Monday. I'll give them a dressing down".

Monday came but no sign of a meeting. "Where are they then?" the President asked his cabinet chief. "Oh the meetings been cancelled, or rather was never organized. The foreign office won't do it, not in our diplomatic interests they say". "Look, don't they understand the f***ing boat is sinking?", the President was furiously waving a piece of paper "another case that is completely mad, this man, an illegal immigrant raped two women. He gets 11 years and serves 7, do we kick him out at the end of his sentence. No, he is released and rapes a woman in her flat. He's arrested and released by the courts and rapes another woman the same day. Ten years we've known about this man, his crimes, he's been arrested 3 times and raped 4 women and no one in this country can do anything about it. I tell you what, there is no state left, no republic. I can't get behind every civil servant, every policeman, every judge and make sure they are doing their job. The people can't take it any more, what are the civil servants waiting for? That people take to the streets with their hunting rifles? It will end in catastrophe!"

HOLA4421

Yeah, it's Geldof all over again. A few gunboats to sink the illegal migrants might actually work better in the longer run.

Though perhaps the least bad real-life solution for the EU in general and Italy in particular would be a deal to pay North African countries (without welfare systems for aliens) to do the pickups and take them back to the south side of the med.

Oh, and Italy has had the problem for many years. I saw them and heard/read their stories when I moved to Rome in the early '90s. Lots of illegal Africans who'd much rather go back home if they could afford to. The smugglers promise them work, but then just give them a bag of worthless bangles to try and sell illegally in the streets. By the time the victims learn their harsh lesson it's far too late to back out.

HOLA4422

The poor, needy and uneducated are exploited everywhere, even in this country....always money to be made from them, exploited by their own people in their own lands......I agree if their homelands were made to be places of safety and peace not war and famine most would stay, people don't need much to live, even their land is being stolen from them from beneath their feet by other rich countries.......over the last fifteen years we have taken in and helped many thousands of asylum seekers, now there are thriving communities living and working here.....people with contacts want to be with people like themselves, speak their language....this is a global problem and requires a global solution.

We should be working with their governments to get their own homes in order or help them to move to new safe countries closer to their home..... ;)

HOLA4423

The poor, needy and uneducated are exploited everywhere, even in this country....always money to be made from them, exploited by their own people in their own lands......I agree if their homelands were made to be places of safety and peace not war and famine most would stay, people don't need much to live, even their land is being stolen from them from beneath their feet by other rich countries.......over the last fifteen years we have taken in and helped many thousands of asylum seekers, now there are thriving communities living and working here.....people with contacts want to be with people like themselves, speak their language....this is a global problem and requires a global solution.

We should be working with their governments to get their own homes in order or help them to move to new safe countries closer to their home..... ;)

Hmm, did the West not do this with Jews/Israel/Zionism.

How about a new, safe, empty country?

Rural Ireland it is then.

HOLA4424

How do we make all the problem countries in Africa so wonderful that no one wants to leave? I really don't think that it is a possible goal for even the wisest person in the world.

HOLA4425

Hmm, did the West not do this with Jews/Israel/Zionism.

How about a new, safe, empty country?

Rural Ireland it is then.

Nothing wrong with living in Africa......Why it has good fertile land and resources that others are fighting over, all people want is something to call their own...not got that not got anything.

How do we make all the problem countries in Africa so wonderful that no one wants to leave? I really don't think that it is a possible goal for even the wisest person in the world.

Wonderful means healthy thriving communities that feel safe and secure with fresh water and land to feed animals and grow crops...being able to trade with others. ;)