House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghostly

The Film Thread

Noticed a few discussions about recent films acrosss divrse threads but no dedicated place for them. Thought I'd create a place for that type of discussion. Please flag up any spoliers.

Recent films I've seen

Gone Girl - Thought it was really good, a must for fans of the 'deluded old scrapper birds' thread. I don't want to say too much about it because it would all be spoilers but it centres around a husband and wife who seem to have a great life until one day the woman disappears. The audience that I saw it with were actually gasping at some parts and I thought they were going to applaud at the end. Most un-British! Only real criticism is it was slightly too long, could have skipped some parts.

Fury - Mentioned this on the dedicated thread (which has since degenerated into a tank battle thread) that it was an enjoyable romp, not too realistic but good way to kill a bit of time.

Ninja Turtles - Had to see this as they were massive in my childhood. Enjoyable but yet another film that tells a story that's already been told a billion times (I'm looking at you Spiderman). Don't think it was necessary to make the film but Hollywood likes cash. Bizarrely not enough fight scenes in it.

Upcoming stuff I want to see: Nightcrawler, Interstellar, The Drop, The Imitation Game, Black Sea.

It was released months ago but Edge of Tomorrow made me laugh, in a good way.

I'm going to cover my @rse and....

***Spoilers follow!!!***

Part Starship Troopers, part Groundhog Day, part constantly restarting a computer game you're really bad at.

I had some reservations before watching the film that the central concept had already been done to death in Groundhog Day. It turned out not to be an issue. The transitions between each 'reboot' were handled well, and with humour.

Edit: the final reel was a loud, overblown CGI fest but that's practically a 'given' for any action/ sci-fi film these days

A Walk Among the Tombstones was a complete load of twaddle...as was Non-Stop. Both were just rejigged versions of Taken.

The Judge - Could have been a great thriller and the first half was building that way, but turned in to a slushy mess towards the end.

Also overly long for no good reason.

2.5 Buckets of Popcorn out of 5

Thought gone girl was over hyped. Not bad but expected a lot more.

Surprise recently was the Secret life of Walter Mitty. I thought it was excellent and I really was not expecting that in the slightest.

A Walk Among the Tombstones was a complete load of twaddle...as was Non-Stop. Both were just rejigged versions of Taken.

Didn't see these but I can imagine. There's an easy way to tell in two words if a film is likely to be shit - 'Liam' and 'Neeson'

The Judge - Could have been a great thriller and the first half was building that way, but turned in to a slushy mess towards the end.

Also overly long for no good reason.

2.5 Buckets of Popcorn out of 5

Thanks for heads up, looked interesting in the trailer but I worried Robert Downey Jr. might just be playing Tony Stark again.

Didn't see these but I can imagine. There's an easy way to tell in two words if a film is likely to be shit - 'Liam' and 'Neeson'

'Adam' + 'Sandler' are even easier.

Didn't see these but I can imagine. There's an easy way to tell in two words if a film is likely to be shit - 'Liam' and 'Neeson'.

Generally I would agree. Though this year he was in "The lego movie" and that was brilliant.

Films I want to see are

Interstellar
The Imitation Game

Mr Turner

I also intend to see what the live operatic broadcasts are like at cinemas - never tried this and there's one coming up I really would like to go to.

Am I the only one who very rarely watches a film?...

No you're not.

The last film I went to the pictures to see was Titanic. It was OK but after it I wondered why I'd bothered to make the effort. A few years ago someone recommended Avatar so I watched it on my laptop on a TV channel and persevered to the end but wasn't really impressed.

I'm sure there are some good films out there but I can't be arsed sitting through hours of sh*te to find one.

No you're not.

The last film I went to the pictures to see was Titanic. It was OK but after it I wondered why I'd bothered to make the effort. A few years ago someone recommended Avatar so I watched it on my laptop on a TV channel and persevered to the end but wasn't really impressed.

I'm sure there are some good films out there but I can't be arsed sitting through hours of sh*te to find one.

General rule of thumb...avoid about 80-90% of Hollywood films, as they're going to be shyte...

General rule of thumb...avoid about 80-90% of Hollywood films, as they're going to be shyte...

I agree with your view.

One film I did enjoy a few years ago was Amelie. A couple of hours of very enjoyable entertainment and escapism.

Not a film...but today I watched all 6 interesting episodes of Grand Tours of the Scottish Islands by Paul Murton. Lovely! Lucky man, doing what he loves and getting paid for it.

Is that because you would have to pay?

:lol: ...as it happens I have loads of the free discs, the ones they gave away in the papers, not watched any of them.....never seem to have the time, can't sit down long enough, mind wanders....I don't know. It could be because it is fiction, something about fiction, same with books...have lots of non-fiction and factual even biographies.....made up stories of make believe not my thing.

Musicals I do quite like though. ;)

I agree with your view.

One film I did enjoy a few years ago was Amelie. A couple of hours of very enjoyable entertainment and escapism.

Not a film...but today I watched all 6 interesting episodes of Grand Tours of the Scottish Islands by Paul Murton. Lovely! Lucky man, doing what he loves and getting paid for it.

IMDB is quite good, as it suggests several similar films to the original title..

:lol: ...as it happens I have loads of the free discs, the ones they gave away in the papers, not watched any of them.....never seem to have the time, can't sit down long enough, mind wanders....I don't know. It could be because it is fiction, something about fiction, same with books...have lots of non-fiction and factual even biographies.....made up stories of make believe not my thing.

Musicals I do quite like though. ;)

You need a disc player! :blink:

IMDB is quite good, as it suggests several similar films to the original title..

Thanks for that I'll have a look on one of these dark winter evenings.

Another film I really really enjoyed was Shallow Grave. Watching the characters all fall apart and scheme against each other over money was a classic for me. Great film

I agree with your view.

Series 1 or 2? I've not downloaded episode 6 of series 2 yet as not sure what day it's on. Passes the time on the tube (not seen series 1). Also been watching Yellowstone but, as the Beeb seems to have extended the availability of some stuff from 7 days to 30 days, they have stopped some stuff (namely Yellowstone) being downloadable. ot good for the tube.

Series 1 or 2? I've not downloaded episode 6 of series 2 yet as not sure what day it's on. Passes the time on the tube (not seen series 1). Also been watching Yellowstone but, as the Beeb seems to have extended the availability of some stuff from 7 days to 30 days, they have stopped some stuff (namely Yellowstone) being downloadable. ot good for the tube.

Recent series. The last episode was on BBC Scotland last night. Now that would be my dream...charter a boat with crew and sail off round the scottish coast and islands!

Sorry to OP as I know this thread is about films.

So I'll mention a film to keep the thread on track. One of my all time favourite films that I've watched a few times is The Shawshank Redemption. Love that film, it has so much about all aspects of humanity it.

Another film I really really enjoyed was Shallow Grave. Watching the characters all fall apart and scheme against each other over money was a classic for me. Great film

I assume you have seen trainspotting ?

Recent series. The last episode was on BBC Scotland last night. Now that would be my dream...charter a boat with crew and sail off round the scottish coast and islands!

Sorry to OP as I know this thread is about films.

So I'll mention a film to keep the thread on track. One of my all time favourite films that I've watched a few times is The Shawshank Redemption. Love that film, it has so much about all aspects of humanity it.

Now I have seen that, the last time I went to a cinema....a very good film indeed.

I assume you have seen trainspotting ?

Yes I did watch Trainspotting once many years ago. Just thought it was OK and it didn't give me anything lasting to ponder. Perhaps because my background is addressing alcohol addiction 25 years ago. Trainspotting, for me, didn't really depict the hell of addiction...perhaps glamourised it a bit. I don't know, maybe I should re-watch now I'm many years from being caught in addiction. I just enjoyed Shallow Grave much more. I always find Ewan McGregor easy on the eye though whatever he's in ;)

On the other hand, a film that left me with a lot to think about regarding mental health and non conformity to the mainstream which IMO plays its part in addiction is One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. Fantastic Film. I watched that a few times. To this day it's horrific what the mental health system does to those who are either unwilling or unable to conform to the mainstream. Many, or perhaps even most, who are unfortunate to land in this situation are maybe addicted to something?

I particularly liked the native american chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest who played dumb then escaped the system when the time and opportunity was right for him.

If you liked that, try these two in a similar vein:

'Very bad things'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124198/?mode=desktop&ref_=m_ft_dskdsk

'The last supper'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113613/?mode=desktop&ref_=m_ft_dsk