House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Wales' Rental Market Is Lagging Behind The Rest Of Britain With Almost No Growth Over The Last Year, According To New Figures

Wales' rental market is lagging behind the rest of Britain with almost no growth over the last year, according to new figures

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/waless-rental-market-lagging-behind-8006818

The rental market in Wales is lagging behind the rest of Britain with almost no growth over the last year, according to surprising figures from the Office of National Statistics.

Private rental prices grew just 0.2% across Wales from September 2013 to September this year – the lowest of all the nations and regions considered – according to the Index of Private Housing Rental Prices.

British private rental prices grew by 1.0% in the same period meaning that, for example, a property that was rented for £500 a month in September 2013, which saw its rent increase by the British average would be rented for £505 in September 2014.

But the figures contrast with other surveys which have suggested that the rental market has seen an upsurge in recent months, with rents reported by one estate agent to have had hit a new high in September, although the rate of increase was slowing.

Welsh estate agents reported they were surprised at the sluggish rate of growth after a bumper year for the letting market.

The increase was highest in London during the same period, where it reached 1.5%, while Scotland also saw strong growth in the sector at 1.4%. By contrast, Wales propped up the table at 0.2%, with the north west of England up just 0.3%.

In the 12 months to September 2014, private rental prices increased in each of the nine English regions considered. The largest annual rental price increases after London were in the south west (1.1%) and south east (1%). Rental price increases have been stronger in London than the rest of England since January 2011.

Well, there is a surprise - estate agents reporting rises but the ONS saying "Nah!"?

Reported as bad news, this country is sick in the head.

Reported as bad news, this country is sick in the head.

It's insane, they'd celebrate basic costs going up?

Surely there will always be 'one region in the country lagging' the rest of the country?

Nailed on article really.

EDIT: Crikey - I'm not sure I want to go to Wales....

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-held-slave-13-years-8000483.

There will be a lot more of this in the news as ,this was not an isolated case

So in other words - across the UK rentals fell in real terms over the year - with Wales leading the way.

"I`m compressing the gel on an EA`s head (while taking LSD)"

What is it with Welsh bands and their drugs?

Not helpful at all for renting but

Super Furry Animals - Something 4 The Weekend:

Edited by 8 year itch

"I`m compressing the gel on an EA`s head (while taking LSD)"

What is it with Welsh bands and their drugs?

When you have magic mushrooms growing in your garden its almost a right of passage for a teenager from the valleys even today ,its just some take to much off a liking to it ,but i dare say it has inspired some great music aswell

When you have magic mushrooms growing in your garden its almost a right of passage for a teenager from the valleys even today ,its just some take to much off a liking to it ,but i dare say it has inspired some great music aswell

Well I reckon Budgie are one of the greatest bands to come out of Wales, one of the most underrated heavy rock bands of all time. I saw them as a support band in the 80`s, a time when support bands just got abuse or the punters went to the venue bar, and was blown away, f*uckin` awesome!

Well I reckon Budgie are one of the greatest bands to come out of Wales, one of the most underrated heavy rock bands of all time. I saw them as a support band in the 80`s, a time when support bands just got abuse or the punters went to the venue bar, and was blown away, f*uckin` awesome!

Could not agree more I think their only problem was, they were way ahead of there time,think the lead singer Burke Shelly is/was working in a music/record shop in Cardiff (well according to my teenage daughter anyway) always thought they would get back together at some point