House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Economic Exile

Dark Nights Are Here. Do You Like Or Loathe Them? What Do You Do?

When I was younger I used to get very down in the dark nights phase.

I wouldn't say I like the dark nights, however over the years I've learnt to put them in perspective so I no longer loathe them.

One way of looking at the onset of the dark nights/short days is that it's only 55 days until the winter solstice then only another 41 until it's light till about 5pm then it gets better every week. Not much time out of 365 days in a year!

The weather here has been wet and windy the past couple of days and it's been ok to get the stove on and draw the curtains.

It can be a problem though to fill the long evenings. I read, listen to music/radio, sometimes do crafty stuff and watch an occasional tv programme. Sometimes when it's better weather I go to local dark places to just enjoy nature looking at the sky. Of course I spend more time on the internet during the dark nights.

Locally there used to be evening classes like pottery, oil painting etc but they have been axed. Pity because I liked doing stuff like that.

How do other forum members cope with the long dark evenings?

I want to win the lottery merely so that I could sod off to Oz or NZ or somewhere sunny for 4 or 5 months during the winter.

I get very miserable - which is more miserable than normal. I slow down and grind to a halt.

I will be spending a month in Thailand - miss the worst of the short days and also the company Christmas lunch ☺.

Last year I spent the festive season with YouTube and learnt a lot about the Justice League.

I want to win the lottery merely so that I could sod off to Oz or NZ or somewhere sunny for 4 or 5 months during the winter.

I get very miserable - which is more miserable than normal. I slow down and grind to a halt.

Yes, I find I'm more lethargic during the short daylight time. I would guess most people are because of the lack of light.

A lottery win would be ideal to go travelling to the sun, however life isn't usually ideal! It's good to dream sometimes though.

I will be spending a month in Thailand - miss the worst of the short days and also the company Christmas lunch ☺.

Last year I spent the festive season with YouTube and learnt a lot about the Justice League.

Nice one!

I'm not a festive season fan apart from the family christmas dinner. The rest I ignore.

Yes, sometimes when my interest is sparked I'll research stuff during the dark nights. I enjoy that and there's always new stuff to learn about.

Why do we still have to do it?

I don't really care as it's only an hour but it all seems utterly pointless,

If Scotland wants to do it then fine, do it but why inflict it on the rest of the UK?

Nice one!

I'm not a festive season fan apart from the family christmas dinner.

I'm not even a fan of that, I fly to China or NZ every other year and always fly out on Christmas Eve so that I'm in the sky on Christmas Day :-)

Why do we still have to do it?

I don't really care as it's only an hour but it all seems utterly pointless,

If Scotland wants to do it then fine, do it but why inflict it on the rest of the UK?

Misery loves company.

When I was younger I used to get very down in the dark nights phase.

I wouldn't say I like the dark nights, however over the years I've learnt to put them in perspective so I no longer loathe them.

It's not so much the shorter daylight hours that bother me it's the messing around with the clocks and plunging us into darkness rather than the decline in evening light being a gradual one.

+2

Depressing. It means it's too dark in the evening to nip on the plot for anything. Not a huge problem but there are times when being outside is needed and not enough daylight time.

I was quite surprised a few years ago when I really did think I struggled witg darker nights and less daylight.

I was "on the carpet" again at work, in trouble for a run of late starts and absences.

"I think I've got this Seasonal Affective Disorder", I said looking all forlorn and miserable (it was late October/ early November as I recall).

"Bullsh1t", my boss replied. "You're twice as bad in the summer!"

He then pulled out a printed copy of my clocking in times for the last 12 months and proceeded to show me that, I was indeed twice as bad in the summer - at least.

Not sure what that means, except I used to be a lazy bugger! I do FEEL as though I feel worse when the nights draw in but to be honest I think a lot of it is psychological. I can be just as tired or down in the summer with heat and dehydration.

P

Is that how the Co-Op got into trouble ? ;)

I always think I"ll use horrible dark wet evenings to do all the things I don't get around to in the summer, sorting out cupboards, paperwork, etc. Only I hardly ever feel like doing them. Curling up on the sofa with a good book or a good drama on the telly is so much more enticing. Took up the piano again a couple of years ago after many decades and that's a lot better than getting round to the tax return, too.

The dark doesn't depress me - I enjoy the seasons, having lived for years with just Hot and Very Hot. The only month I really hate is January - all the Christmas lights gone and no signs of spring yet. Does anyone who gets SAD use a light box or daylight bulbs? If so, do they help?

Does anyone who gets SAD use a light box or daylight bulbs? If so, do they help?

I used one. Yes, it helped but it also gave me teribble migraines. But I heard the news ones are better.

I saw in Aldi last week that they were having SAD alarm clocks for £24.99 this week.

.....it`s pretty neat to see the hands of my watch go back automatically ......it`s something to look forward too after the long hard winter!

There's a man who's easily pleased!

I like the summer. There, I've said it.

This is now a countdown to the shortest day when I can start looking forward to summer again. There is something entirely fundamental to our being in this that is reflected in Stonehenge; summer is the best time.

I used one. Yes, it helped but it also gave me teribble migraines. But I heard the news ones are better.

I saw in Aldi last week that they were having SAD alarm clocks for £24.99 this week.

Not SAD but LED light brightening steadily to replicate dawn before the alarm (in my case: birdsong) goes off so you are awakened naturally without the big jolt of an alarm. Bought one last week - absolutely brilliant. IIRC these used to be about £100, if I had known how good they were I'd have paid that.

Yes, I use a Daylight Therapy Lamp which I bought from Maplins, to help me sleep better at night. Something to do with melatonin levels. I work from home, so I use it for several hours in the day if I'm going to be staying in. It feels a lot like daylight, although not sunlight unfortunately.

There's a man who's easily pleased!

I like the summer. There, I've said it.

This is now a countdown to the shortest day when I can start looking forward to summer again. There is something entirely fundamental to our being in this that is reflected in Stonehenge; summer is the best time.

If we were hunter gatherers still we would would now be further south.

Not SAD but LED light brightening steadily to replicate dawn before the alarm (in my case: birdsong) goes off so you are awakened naturally without the big jolt of an alarm. Bought one last week - absolutely brilliant. IIRC these used to be about £100, if I had known how good they were I'd have paid that.

Ah, OK. Sounds lovely.

You could just leave the curtains open once you've gone to bed? :blink: