House Price Crash Forum

Why Does Religion Still Exist?

bendy

HOLA441

I can only think that it is because TPTB cling onto the hope that there may be some salvation for them after the pain and misery they have dished out in their mortal lives. I saw some news the other day that Blair was pushing some educational dogma entailing tolerance or some other such waffle – a prime example of an arsehole who will hope he’s got a space reserved for his holy actions.

Unfortunately some of the plebs are also taken in by it, whether that be actual belief, social reasons, family pressure or another ridiculous reason.

Discuss the issues!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Unfortunately some of the plebs are also taken in by it, whether that be actual belief, social reasons, family pressure or another ridiculous reason.

Discuss the issues!

Because, however imperfectly manifest, it caters to a basic human psychological need.

I can't help noticing that the replies so far can arguably apply as equally to organised political parties as organised religion.

HOLA446

I can only think that it is because TPTB cling onto the hope that there may be some salvation for them after the pain and misery they have dished out in their mortal lives. I saw some news the other day that Blair was pushing some educational dogma entailing tolerance or some other such waffle – a prime example of an arsehole who will hope he’s got a space reserved for his holy actions.

Discuss the issues!

Yep, I see it as religion scaring us to conform, so that you are not punished (or perhaps rewarded) in the here after....all playing into our fear of the unknown...

I could image Pin becoming a cult leader...

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Because, however imperfectly manifest, it caters to a basic human psychological need.

It's clearly such a basic need that I'm personally utterly devoid of it.

HOLA4410

Well it's a pretty broad question, and I can think of many reasons, which I guess could include... tradition, parental beliefs, hope, comfort, personal encounters with some perceived "higher force", a sense of higher purpose etc.

But I'd suggest that a big part of it is also that our ordinary, everyday life differs from what rational science tells us to believe.

We are apparently the products of blind evolution, competing for survival of the fittest, yet we live in a society that co-operates far more than it competes, and that collectively punishes anyone who does harm to others.

We are told that the universe is in a state of decay and entropy, yet a mother experiences a fetus grow into a child in her stomach, and then into a full-grown adult... in a sense, the exact opposite of entropy.

If we think about our life and bodies, we are an amazing combination of trillions of cells working in a way that we are only beginning to comprehend, and yet rational science tells us that this came about through random, undirected chance.

The reality of our own personal existence seems to contradict the idea of a cold, purposeless universe.

(I say "seems" because I realize this could be a form of the anthropic principle. We feel we're at the centre of the universe simply by virtue of only being able to see the universe through our own eyes. Nevertheless, I can see how that can translate into Purpose and Meaning, and hence Religion.)

BTW... I personally believe in God.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It's clearly such a basic need that I'm personally utterly devoid of it.

Not even a deep-down, teensy weensy bit, just a little?

I'm not suggesting this apples to you but there were plenty of French and Russian revolutionaries who completely refuted the existence of the divine and proceeded to, with no sense of irony, replace it with another dogmatic belief system that ticked pretty much all of the same boxes.

A lot of people, not necessarily all, and not necessarily to the same degree, lap ideology up. Dismissing it as something that's arbitrarily imposed from above on stupid people ignores the possibility that people, sometimes intelligent people, like it, want it.

HOLA4415

Because having made a complete and utter mess of life people desperately hope there's actually something else. If we ceased being a bunch of idiotic creatures ruining our lives by trying to make them easier, fvcking up most of what makes it worth living in the process, religion might die out, but humanity is too pathetic for that.

HOLA4416

....best to keep an open mind, open not closed......I do wonder if people are searching for something but can't quite put their finger on what it is they are looking for......some people may have found it?

....anyway if a religion is a belief, so must atheism be a belief. ;)

HOLA4417

Nope. I've seen that argument used by the religious to attempt to equate their position with the atheists' but it's very much a false comparison. As well as ignoring the whole issue of evidence it widens the definition of "belief" to include absolutely every view, which makes the word meaningless.

HOLA4418

Nope. I've seen that argument used by the religious to attempt to equate their position with the atheists' but it's very much a false comparison. As well as ignoring the whole issue of evidence it widens the definition of "belief" to include absolutely every view, which makes the word meaningless.

That is your belief and I respect that. ;)

HOLA4419

Antony Flew made the distinction between negative and positive atheism. Arguably there's a distinction to made between an absence of belief in God and believing, for certain, that there is no such thing as a God.

Neither of which applied to Flew when he turned a wee bit deist later in life but that's another story.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

We are apparently the products of blind evolution, competing for survival of the fittest, yet we live in a society that co-operates far more than it competes, and that collectively punishes anyone who does harm to others.

Co-operation is a very valid and successful survival strategy, there's nothing about evolution that contradicts it. "Survival of the fittest" is an oft-misunderstood phrase.

We are told that the universe is in a state of decay and entropy, yet a mother experiences a fetus grow into a child in her stomach, and then into a full-grown adult... in a sense, the exact opposite of entropy.

Again nothing against that in the laws of physics and it only sounds like there is if you take a soundbite of it instead of a proper look.

If we think about our life and bodies, we are an amazing combination of trillions of cells working in a way that we are only beginning to comprehend, and yet rational science tells us that this came about through random, undirected chance.

Don't see the problem with that.

The reality of our own personal existence seems to contradict the idea of a cold, purposeless universe.

I completely fail to see how. The idea of some fundamental purpose seems to run contradictory to the reality of our personal existence. The only purposes are those you chose to search for. It seems to me that the only sensible thing to do is try to lead as happy and personally rewarding life as possible, not for any greater reason but because what's the point in doing otherwise? Unfortunately I hate life, mostly due to being surrounded by people who, judging by their actions, have an idea of "happy and rewarding" that's massively at odds with mine (if they're doing it all for some other reason then they're just complete and utter fools).

HOLA4424

....best to keep an open mind, open not closed......I do wonder if people are searching for something but can't quite put their finger on what it is they are looking for......some people may have found it?

Open mind b0llocks, I suppose that means open to the possibility of fairies, goblins and hobbits.

Religion is purely a means of controlling people, using divide and conquer and that`s it.

It would die out if people weren't allowed to commit child abuse on a daily basis in the form of religious indoctrination.

I`m more of an anti-theist than an atheist and I`ve even had idiots claim that atheism is another form of religion which just shows how stupid some folk can be.

Religion, after all, thrives on that stupidity

HOLA4425

Open mind b0llocks, I suppose that means open to the possibility of fairies, goblins and hobbits.

Religion is purely a means of controlling people, using divide and conquer and that`s it.

It would die out if people weren't allowed to commit child abuse on a daily basis in the form of religious indoctrination.

I`m more of an anti-theist than an atheist and I`ve even had idiots claim that atheism is another form of religion which just shows how stupid some folk can be.

Religion, after all, thrives on that stupidity

You are entitled to your opinion.....there are good and bad people in all walks of life.....we are all human after all. ;)

Archived