House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpewLabour

Fury (Film)

Just wondering if any of you war film aficionados had seen this yet?

I went to see this earlier today and thought it was a pretty good film - fairly gruesome in places - but I came away thinking that something was missing. I don't know what, but it wasn't a classic, which was unfortunate, as it had the makings of one.

The performances were decent, the battle scenes were convincing, and it was a nice touch that they actually used a genuine Tiger I in the filming (the first time one had been used since 1946, apparently), but still there was something lacking.

Id be interested in hearing opinions.

Never been able to like any Brad Pitt films personally. I don't know why. I took a particular dislike to that 'Inglorious Bestards' one mainly because I thought that the entire story was 'Yanks win WW2' and a tad insulting to everyone else.

SpewLabour - can I ask you what other WW2 films you rate so I can get a gauge of what else in the genre you consider good or bad?

Never been able to like any Brad Pitt films personally. I don't know why. I took a particular dislike to that 'Inglorious Bestards' one mainly because I thought that the entire story was 'Yanks win WW2' and a tad insulting to everyone else.

SpewLabour - can I ask you what other WW2 films you rate so I can get a gauge of what else in the genre you consider good or bad?

Id count classics to be

Battle of Britain

The Dambusters

The Longest Day

possibly A Bridge Too Far & Saving Private Ryan.

Brad Pitt was totally different to the role in Inglorious Basterds - that was the standard Quentin Tarantino style film that wasn't really supposed to be taken seriously

I took a particular dislike to that 'Inglorious Bestards' one mainly because I thought that the entire story was 'Yanks win WW2' and a tad insulting to everyone else.

Yes, especially since it was Russia that won WWII.

Yes, especially since it was Russia that won WWII.

That too is a wrong and insulting statement to everyone else.

The blunt, harsh reality is that it took the combined might of the British Empire, the Russians, the Yanks and large numbers of Poles, Czechs, etc, etc, etc, to finish off Germany.

In fact, if they did not have the Allies' best general as their leader the outcome would have been even more uncertain.

However, at this point on a Sunday evening I am more interested in contemplating that Coleman girl from Doctor Who than the theoretical outcome of WW2.

Id count classics to be

Battle of Britain

The Dambusters

The Longest Day

possibly A Bridge Too Far & Saving Private Ryan.

Brad Pitt was totally different to the role in Inglorious Basterds - that was the standard Quentin Tarantino style film that wasn't really supposed to be taken seriously

Ah, OK.

The consensus of many professional reviewers is that, yes, Fury is technically well-made, and impressively gritty, but lacking in thematic depth e.g.

I've seen comparisons to Sam Peckinpah in more than a couple of reviews*. Though I believe 'Fury' lacks the BJ gone terribly wrong scene that helped make 'Cross of Iron' the masterpiece that it is.

Edit: *I think because of the elegant, reverent treatment of violence and maybe, also, the clumsy depiction of women.

The consensus of many professional reviewers is that, yes, Fury is technically well-made, and impressively gritty, but lacking in thematic depth e.g.

I've seen comparisons to Sam Peckinpah in more than a couple of reviews*. Though I believe 'Fury' lacks the BJ gone terribly wrong scene that helped make 'Cross of Iron' the masterpiece that it is.

Edit: I think because of the elegant, reverent treatment of violence and maybe, also, the clumsy depiction of women.

BJ gone wrong? I don't recall that. Oh yes, hang on - the Russian female soldier and the young german soldier in the barn?

BJ gone wrong? I don't recall that. Oh yes, hang on - the Russian female soldier and the young german soldier in the barn?

I'm partial to Peckinpah films but he really didn't like or trust women very much. Most of his films feature at least one scene of a woman sticking something into someone's back or biting something off.

Joshing about that particular scene aside, Cross of Iron impressed my young mind for its depiction of being on the receiving end of tanks, and because it was set on the Eastern Front. Virtually unique for an English language film in its day.

I'm partial to Peckinpah films but he really didn't like or trust women very much. Most of his films feature at least one scene of a woman sticking something into someone's back or biting something off.

Joshing about that particular scene aside, Cross of Iron impressed my young mind for its depiction of being on the receiving end of tanks, and because it was set on the Eastern Front. Virtually unique for an English language film in its day.

If you look at the map of where those battles were set you can see that they were on a tiny bit of the Crimea. It looks so small when compared to the vast distances of the German-Soviet frontlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Campaign

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Offensive

In Saving Private Ryan there's a scene where a German captive is released, rather than being executed by the platoon. Later on the same German turns up in battle and kills one of the platoon.

In Fury something along the opposite lines happens, which I read as possibly a finger being stuck up at Spielberg. If so, +1 to Fury.

In Saving Private Ryan there's a scene where a German captive is released, rather than being executed by the platoon. Later on the same German turns up in battle and kills one of the platoon.

In Fury something along the opposite lines happens, which I read as possibly a finger being stuck up at Spielberg. If so, +1 to Fury.

Thanks for the Spoiler alet Nuggets. Anything else you wish to tell us about it?

I quite enjoyed it. Not sure about it's accuracy and there was a particular scene in the middle of the film which I thought shouldn't have been included but overall easy watch. Would maybe even watch it again.

Thanks for the Spoiler alet Nuggets. Anything else you wish to tell us about it?

I was quite careful not to give anything away. There's no clue as to what is going to happen at any point in the film.

In Fury something along the opposite lines happens, [...]

The German captive's executed rather than being released, and then he doesn't turn up later and kill one of the platoon?

I quite enjoyed it. Not sure about it's accuracy and there was a particular scene in the middle of the film which I thought shouldn't have been included but overall easy watch. Would maybe even watch it again.

I know the scene you mean. I didn't mind that too much - just felt the ending was a little far fetched.

Don't want to say too much as some people may want to see it.....

The German captive's executed rather than being released, and then he doesn't turn up later and kill one of the platoon?

I can't answer that without giving the game away about the ghosts.

I know the scene you mean. I didn't mind that too much - just felt the ending was a little far fetched.

Don't want to say too much as some people may want to see it.....

Does the ending involve Brad Pitt penatrating Hitler's bunker - no puns - and singlehandedly killing Hitler & Eva before taking Himmler prisoner whilst singing 'Yankee Doodle Dandy'?

Does the ending involve Brad Pitt penatrating Hitler's bunker - no puns - and singlehandedly killing Hitler & Eva before taking Himmler prisoner whilst singing 'Yankee Doodle Dandy'?

I think you've seen Inglorious Basterds one too many times....!

I think you've seen Inglorious Basterds one too many times....!

Is that what happens at the end? I have never managed to get through more than about 30 minutes of it from the start... and I think I have seen about 10 minutes towards the end.

My guess is that the tank, a Sherman, also affectionately known as The Ronson, didnt catch fire at the first sign of a German Tank.

Thats what was missing.

World War Z and 12 Monkeys are basically required viewing if you are going to survive the ebola epidemic when it comes to Swansea.