House Price Crash Forum

Bupa Advert - Treating Adults Like Children

Fed_Up

HOLA441

Truly bizarre advert in my opinion.

From the images of children running around and painting pictures you'd assume it's about a child, but no - it's about a 34 year old woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaLqAOBSFg

"Growing up, my family always had BUPA healthcare, it probably saved my life" [citation needed]!

"They found me a hospital to be near mum and dad"

Am I out of the loop here? Is it common for grown adults to have their health insurance needs paid for by their parents?

HOLA442

Truly bizarre advert in my opinion

Because the people who made that ad aren't talking to you.

I find it amusing sometimes to pick out all the little subliminals woven into ads and try and piece together the profile of the target demographic. Sometimes amusing, sometimes a little depressing.

HOLA443

Am I out of the loop here? Is it common for grown adults to have their health insurance needs paid for by their parents?

My best guess would be that the ad is pitched at women in their late 20s to 30s, BC1 class (too much of a twang in the accent for Upper Middle class), who aspire to private health care but are feeling the pinch a bit and need a little nudge by way of a reminder of their own mortality and that their parents managed to afford it when they were raising their kids.

(They probably managed to afford a decent sized house as well, but let's not go overboard)

Afaic the ad may as well be in Chinese.

HOLA444

Trying not to appear too cynical here, but it's blatantly over my head for me too.

There seems to be a resurgence of ads aimed at the aspirant underclass at the moment, and not just on ITV3 in the chavslots; I'm thinking in particular of that glorified catalogue club that harps on about having a kitchen like the celebs' or a 60" telly, all for £3.45 per week ... first week's payment only £1!

HOLA445

Subliminal messaging, the 34 year old woman is being reminded that she has been acting like a child for all of her life and needs to grow the fuk up.

Her fertility is about to start dropping rapidly and she has yet to find a man, and even if she did, it'd be uncomfortable bringing one back to her childhood bedroom where she lives and has all washing and cooking done for her by mum and dad.

Hence the need for BUPA to provide further rounds of IVF after the NHS ones have been used, some point in the future when she finds a man,

Simples.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Any ad that sell through fear or emotion are best ignored...... ;)

I have neither fear nor emotion. I do not watch adverts. I just "do stuff"! :blink:

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Archived