House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Home Nas Drive For Mac, Pc And Android

I'd like to get a NAS drive to use at home for photos, video, etc. Is it possible to format it so it can be accessed by Mac, Windows and Android devices?

I'd also like to back it up with a Time Machine drive on my Mac - is that possible?

Thanks.

You might want to check this one which just turned up for £25 on hotukdeals.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/netgear-readynas-102-25-77-with-free-delivery-amazon-sold-buyur-2032383

Any idea if what I propose to do is possible? My main concern is the time machine bit, and whether a NAS can be shared between mac and pc. I could google it of course, but you folk are so knowledgable and helpful.

This is the one I use:

http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?sn=822&c=351&sc=514&t=522&n=3388

Whatever you get, make sure it's up to the job on CPU and RAM...cheapies tend to skimp on both and struggle to keep up with the basics IMO

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/49582-importance-cpu-ram-nas-enclosure.html

Also make sure you only load it with HD's that are fully compatible with your NAS (I've burned through a few cheap HD's in the past by not using certified disks)

Any idea if what I propose to do is possible? My main concern is the time machine bit, and whether a NAS can be shared between mac and pc. I could google it of course, but you folk are so knowledgable and helpful.

Yes, it should be possible. You would need to partition the drive into different drives and file formats for each individual system. I have not looked at NASs for awhile so have no idea whether one would come with that funcitonality/software already built in.

I suspect that you would need to look around for a third party bit of software or pay a bit more for a NAS that has that funcitonality.

Perhaps you need to look at an app called DROID NAS - which allows you to see an Android device via Wi Fi from a Windows or Apple device?

I'd like to get a NAS drive to use at home for photos, video, etc. Is it possible to format it so it can be accessed by Mac, Windows and Android devices?

I'd also like to back it up with a Time Machine drive on my Mac - is that possible?

Thanks.

Yes, certainly possible.

I've used a NAS to backup an iMac, MacBook Pro and a PC (bootcamp on the iMac) for a couple of years now.

That looks a lot more sophisticated than the Seagate GoFlex I chose - mainly because it was cheap.

Only problem I find with Time Machine is that every 6 weeks or so it insists on creating a completely new backup from the MacBook, which may well be something I've incorrectly configured but is nonetheless irritating.

As a more reliable and simpler backup I also use CarbonCopy and just clone the Mac HD's and can boot from these if necessary.