House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Prof Suspended For 9 Months For Being Sarcastic In Job Interviews

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2806338/University-Warwick-professor-suspended-nine-months-accused-sighing-sarcastic-job-interviews.html

Professor at top university was suspended for nine months after he was accused of sighing and being sarcastic during job interviews
  • Thomas Docherty was banned from University of Warwick in January 2014
  • He was accused of giving off 'negative vibes' and undermining authority
  • The English professor was banned from campus and writing references
  • Also banned from giving PhD guidance or contact with undergraduates
  • His suspension was lifted last month and he will be cleared of allegations
  • University and College Union have blasted university's handling of case

I'm screwed then if sarcasm becomes illegal in the workplace. Critical thought is dead.

Only happy positive thoughts about how wonderful everything is to be allowed. Although I think doing it in a job interview is unfair, but then again if your listening to blatent bu11sh1t it would be too hard to resist...

He wins the Pin Medal, for "having fun in the workplace", which will soon be a crime! :wacko:

Sounds very childish.

Suspension seems a bit odd though.

Perhaps they thought he was having a stress related nervous breakdown and thought 9 months peace and quiet might do him good? !

While undoubtably rather trying to be on the receiving end of it, a good cop/bad cop approach is quite a common one in interviews.

In my experience, world weary sarcasm seemed to be requirement to get a professorship.

I suspect the real problem here is that too many paying students were being put off forking out for Warwick by his interviewing technique.

While undoubtably rather trying to be on the receiving end of it, a good cop/bad cop approach is quite a common one in interviews.

You know when the police asked you to drop in for a chat those times, that they weren't offering you a job.. Right ?

;)

Have to say I've never been on the receiving end of sarcasm / good cop bad cop in any job interviews I've ever had. Given that you are usually going to be working closely with these people I think I'd think twice about whether I really wanted to work for them.

Fun sarcasm's not so bad.. but sneering sarcasm and bad cops wear thin incredibly quickly!