House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Job Interviews Over The Internet

So, I applied for this job - you know new opportunities and that. I get through to the interview stage, there was I thinking I would do the old masonic shake with the manager; but I get this:

----

Well done, you have been invited to complete a video interview by xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Video interviews are really convenient! You can choose your own time and place but it must be completed before xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All you need is an internet connection, a webcam and a microphone – and to help you along have a look at this xxxxxxxxxxxxx for hints or tips.

In short what you need to do is:

1. Log into your video interview:
    Click this URL - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Choose your password
  3. You will be taken through a brief test to make sure you have appropriate internet connection, sound and video quality.
  4. You are then given the chance to do a practice interview. You can play around with this and practice as often as you wish - you can even log out at this stage and log back in later (before the deadline of course).
  5. When you are ready you can begin the real interview. Just like a face-to-face interview this is the real thing! You cannot stop or re-do the questions and you will not be able to see the questions in advance. Once you are done the interview is automatically sent to us.

You will shortly receive another email from xxxxxxxxxxxx with more information and contact details should you have any technical problems.
Best of luck.

--

Wow, I'm 34 years old. If I was xx(older age) needing to get a job and don't know about "computers" I'd be screwed! Don't think I'll be taking on any big interest only mortgages in future.

Wow, I'm 34 years old. If I was 59 needing to get a job and don't know about "computers" I'd be screwed! Don't think I'll be taking on any big interest only mortgages in future.[/size][/font][/color]

What an ageist remark. I'm 62 and can build, maintain and even program computers. My friend who is 67 can, too. My 88 year old mother orders her groceries and buys online. Perhaps we're unusual but I think not. Sweeping statements ought to be avoided.

I took it out sorry. I'd hope to be retired by 50 and toddling around on the golf course, sipping champagne by then and out of this rat race.

I do speak to people in that age bracket and signpost to the internet in my work - and I do get the "I don't have a computer" remark, and that could be any age - like can't afford a computer!

Even at 34 - I am not really up to date with the latest technology, and not really that interested anymore. My computer is nearly ten years old, and I run Windows 7.

It is scary how businesses are not even wanting to meet you face to face these days.

Are they just going to put together a compilation of bad interviews, stick them up online and make money out of them?

I don't think so - this is a FTSE 100 company

I took it out sorry. I'd hope to be retired by 50 and toddling around on the golf course, sipping champagne by then and out of this rat race.

Yeah? Best of luck with that plan. Can you see that big white light heading in your direction? That is Life. The Universe heard your plan and is about to tear it up into a 1001 little pieces. Drink lots of real ale and hold on tight to a towel.

:)

Haha! I don't think many 34 year olds look that far in the future - they're probably looking only as far as the weekend. That's my niche :) But if the white light comes, then I'll die trying.

I do speak to people in that age bracket and signpost to the internet in my work - and I do get the "I don't have a computer" remark, and that could be any age - like can't afford a computer!

Even at 34 - I am not really up to date with the latest technology, and not really that interested anymore. My computer is nearly ten years old, and I run Windows 7.

It is scary how businesses are not even wanting to meet you face to face these days.

Businesses not wanting to meet potential employees face to face are sure to get it wrong more than they get it right. So best you don't take the interview.

I was retired by 51 and have used the down time learning more about computers than I wanted to. Plus a couple of extra languages. :)

Thanks for the advice, and sorry once again for the bad statement.

----

I have until the 3rd of November to have a go at the webcam interview, and I am not in desperate need for a new job. It would have been nice to poke my head around the premises, ask some off the wall speculative questions, get a feel and the vibe of the place, and say hello to staff behind the scenes etc.

The job you see on paper might be the same everywhere - on paper, but it isn't - it can vary a lot from location to location.

(And sorry everyone, I can't reveal what I do)

Job interviews are a two-way process. This particular company has obviously forgotten that and therefore fails.

+1

They are looking for someone who is desperate enough that they don't even expect any of their questions to be answered.

It is just possible that the whole thing is used to screen out the hopeless, then the ones who politely refuse to go along with the webcam nonesense get invited to the real interview. But I doubt it, its more likely just another shit employer that you should avoid.

It sounds like this is not an interview as such, more a video diary that you have to make for the potential employer.

If it was a genuine video interview, then there is no problem. It just saves some travel and acts as a bit of a test of technology.

If it's a video diary, which requires no effort from the other side, then I'd sack it off unless you are really desperate. The odds will be near zero if the company doesn't have to invest any effort.

I recently put a job ad up. Central London, junior role, although in financial services, offering £25k. I had it on the web for less than a week and had 400 applications. So you can see why employers start to try to narrow down the pool by putting obstacles in the way. The problem is that the people you want to employ are the ones that are already quite busy and quite rightly look down their nose at pathetic hoop jumping exercises.

Whenever I've moved jobs, it had been without fail to a company that has invested time and shown flexibility in the recruiting process. Offering interviews at inconvenient times and requiring pre screening with an HR numpty or some psychometric testing is a bad sign for a potential employer.

Job interviews are a two-way process. This particular company has obviously forgotten that and therefore fails.

Absolutely! :blink:

But... but, but it is a FTSE 100 company!

For this quarter at least...

I am convincd some companies actually employ people as part of the selection process. Seven years ago I accepted a job offer in the face of every instinct telling me it was "wrong", because I was more worried about being out of work than I should have been. I knew I'd made a mistake by the end of the first week and resigned several weeks later when I'd found something better - it was seven minutes from handing my letter over to walking off the premises for good. I got the impression my manager was used to that sort of thing.

If they ask you to get your tits out, I would suggest the interview is a hoax.

Unless the job offered is that of wet nurse...

This sounds more like some kind of initial assessment than an interview proper. I've done a couple of recruitments which have involved interviewing via video (because both interviewees have been out of the country). The first was absolutely no problem and quite impressive given the candidate was somewhere fairly off the beaten track in Africa at the time. We ended up hiring him. The second was an utter disaster. The lady couldn't get the technology to work at her end at all and had given us a pay as you go phone UK number as the only contact point while she was in the US. Needless to say her ten quid credit was burned in minutes on roaming charges. Sadly, she wasn't quite good enough compared to the other candidates either.

It's a joke isn't it?

What sort of job demands that you don't turn up for the interview?

If I was applying for the job of, say a FAX machine then maybe, or even as the office toaster; a quick browse of my profile on ARGOS would be ok, but for an actual job, with real moving people? I'd be the internet dating slut that's only good for one thing.

No sir, This waffle maker is staying at home. :unsure:

It would be dangerous for many people to do a video interview if they're in the comfort of their own home, possibly nervous, with the internet in front of them. All it takes is a few clicks in a new browser window then your mind will wander and all the other end can now see is you grimacing and making slight jerking movements. Before long companies may start an Omegle-style interview process where they click next to find the right candidate and within the first hour they will be faced with a barrage of genitalia guaranteed. Still, a vast improvement on most interview processes.

It's a joke isn't it?

What sort of job demands that you don't turn up for the interview?

If I was applying for the job of, say a FAX machine then maybe, or even as the office toaster; a quick browse of my profile on ARGOS would be ok, but for an actual job, with real moving people? I'd be the internet dating slut that's only good for one thing.

No sir, This waffle maker is staying at home. :unsure:

As has already been pointed out, it's simply a first screen.

The proportion of entirely unsuitable candidates that can be discarded by telephone or webcam is huge and saves any company a lot of time and money.

It sounds like this is not an interview as such, more a video diary that you have to make for the potential employer.

If it was a genuine video interview, then there is no problem. It just saves some travel and acts as a bit of a test of technology.

If it's a video diary, which requires no effort from the other side, then I'd sack it off unless you are really desperate. The odds will be near zero if the company doesn't have to invest any effort.

I recently put a job ad up. Central London, junior role, although in financial services, offering £25k. I had it on the web for less than a week and had 400 applications. So you can see why employers start to try to narrow down the pool by putting obstacles in the way. The problem is that the people you want to employ are the ones that are already quite busy and quite rightly look down their nose at pathetic hoop jumping exercises.

Whenever I've moved jobs, it had been without fail to a company that has invested time and shown flexibility in the recruiting process. Offering interviews at inconvenient times and requiring pre screening with an HR numpty or some psychometric testing is a bad sign for a potential employer.

I jacked all that stuff in years ago, on the one hand it's is hard to tell how good or bad people are just from a face to face, but equally I have never felt that extensive testing helps weed people out either, in fact rather the opposite as it tends to pass the responsibility over to something else.

When I have been asked to take extended tests at interviews I have simply refused and given a detailed reason why. I have had both positive and negative experiences from it but count myself lucky to have not ended up working for some of those companies giving the negative.

I work in IT and it's very easy to tell if somebody is bluffing, you don't need hour long tests, just 2 or 3 specific questions about the technology. If an employer can't come up with them then that speaks volumes.