House Price Crash Forum
Scunnered

Buy-To-Let Boom: One In Five Homes Now Owned By Landlords

Britain's two million-strong army of buy-to-let investors have almost doubled their property holdings in a decade – and they are set to buy up even more homes

Well done them, lets hope each house is worth £20m in ten years. Good on them for providing such an essential service.

Edited by 200p

Britain's two million-strong army of buy-to-let investors have almost doubled their property holdings in a decade – and they are set to buy up even more homes

Well done them, lets hope each house is worth £20m in ten years. Good on them for providing such an essential service.

Indeed. That's exactly what Paragon (mortgage lenders, responsible for the report) say

Paragon welcomed the trend, claiming “the creation of buy-to-let has very much been a force for good. It has helped to shape a private rented rector that is fit for purpose and provides choice, value and flexibility for tenants.”

Pah!

thats 1 in 5 now out of the chains for OO housing completions.

People will find it harder to sell...

It's interesting to observe that once landlords own all the houses and people no longer see the point working hard to buy a house that the government will have to tax the landlords an MORE than they collect in rent to pay their tenants rent.

It's interesting to observe that once landlords own all the houses and people no longer see the point working hard to buy a house that the government will have to tax the landlords an MORE than they collect in rent to pay their tenants rent.

Let's hope so

Obviously the HPC answer to this is to build more houses for these socioeconomic vampires to suck up...

Edited by PopGun

Seems like this is a topic for the CML too. Take a look at the annual conference...

CML annual conference debate: This House believes Britain would be better off were owner occupation to become a minority tenure*

Pro: Peter Hill, chief executive, Leeds Building Society

Con: Moray McDonald, managing director, products, personal & business banking, Royal Bank of Scotland

*Please note that this statement, or its opposite, does not necessarily reflect the views of the CML or either debate participant.

Obviously the HPC answer to this is to build more houses for these socioeconomic vampires to suck up...

And why not? If they want to buy a million more, that's one million more places they also need to rent out, in order to earn any kind of yield on their investment. Plus it means a greater sucking sound when the HPC really hits ;)

Should help the UKIP vote.

with their housing spokesman being a slumlord I don't think so.

UKIP Have got a chance, but they really do need to get rid of the dirty laundry.

these people need to get wise ..NOW.

reverse psychology is a very powerful tool indeed....that being that those who had the most to gain from re-implementing corn laws etc, are being giver substantially more than their hearts desire ON PURPOSE.

suck it up if you want,but like mr creosote..these guys plying you with all you want are trying to make you puke.

it's only wafer thin..........

Sometimes I pretend I own my entire street of houses that I rent out, I brag to my mate "the invisible man" how great an investor I am. The returns on my imaginary investments are practically zero with tenant gaps for months and high insurance due to feral tenants.

Imagination, all the thrills, no spills.

Sometimes I pretend I own my entire street of houses that I rent out, I brag to my mate "the invisible man" how great an investor I am. The returns on my imaginary investments are practically zero with tenant gaps for months and high insurance due to feral tenants.

Imagination, all the thrills, no spills.

That's how BTL works. When the eventual long overdue interest rates start to rise this sector will collapse.

If you are a landlord and living in rented accommodation yourself it's very tax efficient.

I don't see why.

Your rental income is taxed to then pay your own rent. Looks pointless.

Your maintenance bills are tax-free but then you have to pay CGT. Probably not worth it unless going to dodge CGT.

Ahh, see what you mean. All the maintenance and costs on your house become tax deductible.

Drop in the ocean compared to the rent you'd have to pay from taxed income. All the imputed rent from living in a home you own is equally tax-deductible.

I pay rent from taxable income. So if I owned the house I live in, it would be worth over £14k more in my pay packet. If I let out a similar house, there's no way I'd spend £14k/year on maintenance. But I would pay tax on the rent from it.

Edited by porca misèria

all created by government subsidy: housing benefits,artificially low interest rates, full deductibility of interest payments....

I've not been on MSE for a very long time. It's not really changed has it. :)

only gets more unbelievable.

it is good to browse there and see how the other half live. just hold onto your blood pressure. ;)

Make it illegal to rent out a mortgaged property. There is something morally dubious about charging for an essential need that you haven't paid for yourself.

There is no need to change re housing as all parties believe that people want higher house prices .... and most people do. The worst thing in life for many is that their house could have lost money and the very worst thing is that they would sell at a loss. Roughly one third own outright; love HPI or the personal ATM, one third own with a mortgage and love HPI to death and one third rent. So two thirds (OK not all) want HPI and you would need 60% plus renting to effect any change and this will not happen IMHO for decades .... say 20 years.

We'll see. There are two wolves coming up the path for house prices: demographic change and market forces. Demographic change means the majority of the electorate will have been born after 1980 at some point in the 2020s. Market forces mean that a house is only worth what somebody can afford to pay for it, and the real wages that people use to pay for housing continue to collapse.

Everybody seems convinced that the government can keep market forces at bay in the housing market for as long as it wants, so my guess is that everybody is wrong and it will be market forces that do the job even before it become electorally advantageous for a government to do it anyway.