House Price Crash Forum

What story?

Its like a sales presentation from any branch of Herbalife.

void of facts and replete with what things might be worth concentrating on the assets.

Vicki, 51, of Uxbridge, west London, said: “I knew I didn’t want to be dependent on the state for the rest of my life.

Vicki now lives with a new partner and they own a string of homes in the city which are rented to people on benefits.

Lucky she isnt running self awareness courses.

Edited by Corruption

Vicki, 51, of Uxbridge, west London, said: “I knew I didn’t want to be dependent on the state for the rest of my life.

Vicki now lives with a new partner and they own a string of homes in the city which are rented to people on benefits.

That was the bit that stuck out the most for me too!

Vicki, 51, of Uxbridge, west London, said: I knew I didnt want to be dependent on the state for the rest of my life.

Astounding !! :)

100% living off the state!!!

Edited by THE BALD MAN

Hi,

Not trying to wind anyone up, but is too good/bad not to share:

Too late! :P

Just show me one atom of physical substance that she has moved from one place to the other in the last 10 years (apart from her legs) and I will give you a free copy of .... Using Other People’s Money: How to Invest in Property. By some, soon to be forgotten, bankrupt estate agent! :lol:

It makes you boil with anger doesn't it? She is typical of most landlords imo, who always seem to have certain set of characteristics: lazy, simple-minded, arrogant, selfish, and a bit dim. All the more galling that people like this get a free ride and basically bailed out by the tax payer, and for doing something that is almost completely unproductive. *****!

It makes you boil with anger doesn't it? She is typical of most landlords imo, who always seem to have certain set of characteristics: lazy, simple-minded, arrogant, selfish, and a bit dim. All the more galling that people like this get a free ride and basically bailed out by the tax payer, and for doing something that is almost completely unproductive. *****!

From the YouTube embedded vid I glanced at the other day, they like to think they're different and special and think outside the box.

Also she was saying something about lease-back deals, options, her investor backers. Possibly not quite as well positioned as the newspaper story made out. Many a landlord likes to make themselves a name in the paper, to attract more deals, project being an 'industry success' and so on.

Where did she get her amazing IT and business degree from? Do we get told what doyen of academia she graced?

“If I can do it, anyone can do it.”

Yes of course, the economy would function superbly well if everybody was working for a mortgage lender as a self employed social housing administrator.

agreed, the drivel she's spewing out is [very] mildly hilarious.

first there's the basic maths whereby at the very most 1 in every 23 households can be landlord to 22 renter households - of course it's far fewer than that when you factor in very widespread owner occupation & the still very large state-owned social housing sector.

more obviously of course there's the irony about her not wanting "to be dependent on the state" & deciding to escape this dependency by seetting up a 'business' whose entire revenue streams are 100% funded by, well, the state.

somewhere I thikn there's maybe an unspoken assumption that what she's done [buying property from owner-occuperis or other landlords & renting it out] is somehow good for society???

there's the slight oddness around dates... firstly graduating in 1995 to first [low end] property bought in 2008 doesn't sound like what you'd call a runaway success story, plus of course there's a vague question around how someone who started in 2008 could progress so quickly to 'owning' 22 pwoperdees, given the modest HPI we've seen since then.

but for me the charm is the in the small details... the greengrocer's apostrophe on 'months' in the very first sentence; the florid language ["...determined...", "...applauded by hard-working families...", " amassed", "scraping by", "shoestring", "not a hardluck story [tho i can only think she means 'not a good luck story'???]"...

very much one to warm the cockles.

Edited by the flying pig

Listen to her presentation. She has 'joint venture partners'. She networks to find joint venture parters' cash. She used money from her parents. They remortgaged their house & released equity to give to her for her 'investments'. I think it stinks & it will probably backfire on her investors. She tells the audience that they are different because they are there and not watching soaps. Pff. WTF is a 'property mermaid'? :)

Listen to her presentation. She has 'joint venture partners'. She networks to find joint venture parters' cash. She used money from her parents. They remortgaged their house & released equity to give to her for her 'investments'. I think it stinks & it will probably backfire on her investors. She tells the audience that they are different because they are there and not watching soaps. Pff. WTF is a 'property mermaid'? :)

22 properties and still doesn't have a pot to piss in, in all likelihood.

Where did she get her amazing IT and business degree from? Do we get told what doyen of academia she graced?

London Poly:

http://sellyourstoryuk.com/2014/06/04/how-i-went-from-a-single-mum-on-benefits-to-a-millionaire/

The dates are all wrong on this one.

'It wasn’t until 2008 that I finally took her first course in how to invest in property.

I ended up spending £20,000 on that one property course! I certainly wouldn’t recommend anyone spends that much money. But the course did pave the way to my current life and I would not be where I am now.'

Really? 2008?? Mortgage lending stopped dead then.

'I ended up spending £20,000 on that one property course! I certainly wouldn’t recommend anyone spends that much money. But the course did pave the way to my current life and I would not be where I am now.

Buying my first sourced property in August 2008 I thought it would be easy … four months later my commitment was being put severely to the test.'

20K? On a course? Really??

'I started investing just as the property market decided to nose dive. When I joined the property training I dragged Bob my other half, Nicki my sister and Lawrence our brother in-law along to join me ….poor things.

We had board meetings in our kitchen and agreed that we would all put £20,000 in a kitty together, they would continue with their jobs (which made them mortgage-able) and I would do all the day-to-day work of finding the properties.'

Another 20K. I thought she was penniless?

'A year later and we had six properties. The first house was easy really – we offered and the vendor accepted but then the market crashed and property investing got really serious. The first mortgage I arranged on Valley Road (our first joint property) turned out to be right on the edge of mortgage fraud !!!! It was terrifying and a real lesson designed to make sure I understood every mortgage agreement I entered into!'

?

'I now have twenty-two properties, with a couple in London although the bulk of my portfolio is in Liverpool.'

Ah Liverpool. That great city which has a huge demand for property.

Maybe she's diversified by buy stuff in South Bank, Middlesbrough?

'My exact net worth in monetary terms is irrelevant, I am rich in so many ways, with my two daughters, my partner Bob – a real saint – of 15 years, life experience, my friends and family. I am able to do what I love and am passionate about. The money is just the cherry on the icing on the cake. I have never lost perspective of what’s important which is, and always been, my family. That’s the biggest lesson I’ve learnt of all.”'

I take it that her net worth is negative then.

Sounds like she bought a load of crappy Northern social housing and is now trying to make money by getting people to pay for her to tell them how she maid million$$$$$$$.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/property-club/9870243/advice-landlords-location-location-location.html

' “House prices in the South East are extremely high, compared with the amount of rent you can charge,” she explains. “If I bought a place in Uxbridge, say, it would cost me £300,000 and I could probably charge £500 per room per month, for rent. In Liverpool I can buy a place for £120,000 and charge £460 per room per month.”'

Balls to both those figures esp. the Liverpool one. For no other reason as the values are too high for LHA.

http://liverpool.gov.uk/benefits-and-grants/housing-benefits/local-housing-allowance/

Bedroom rate Price per week Rate per month Shared £55.55 £240.72

https://www.opencompany.co.uk/company/05487802/oak-house-residents-association-limited

http://www.propertytribes.com/mentor-due-diligence-t-2148.html

Why the fck do you need a 'mentor' to buy a load of dross social housing? To concine you that you are not p1ssingthe money down a hole?

snip

Why the fck do you need a 'mentor' to buy a load of dross social housing? To concine you that you are not p1ssingthe money down a hole?

you dont.

But if you want to sell courses then you need to evangelise and exaggerate like any other Pyramid scheme.

She uses all the key words and rags to riches stories you will find at any herbalife, Amway or any other scheme that needs to recruit rather than sell.

It is a great time to start these types of operation...people are hungry and being made redundant...

parts of that are sneaky - not spectacularly so but at least, well, she makes an effort:

[a] by referencing the £20k she spent on a course, describing it as excessive but not [in the context of the games she'd later make] wasted, she confronts the fears of a skeptical reader head on; &

by referencing the fact that she bought just as prices were about to fall & still did well she tackles probably the other biggest potential fear.

Edited by the flying pig

A mate of mine (who is an accountant) got dragged to one of these "courses" by his other half who wanted to get into the guaranteed upside only business that is BTL.

He was horrified by the financial case that got put up on the big screen. When he pointed out that they hadn't made any provision for voids/repairs/tax; and asked how the numbers looked if mortgage rates increased by 3% he was asked to leave. Apparently most of the other "students" just stayed there, lapping it all up.

A mate of mine (who is an accountant) got dragged to one of these "courses" by his other half who wanted to get into the guaranteed upside only business that is BTL.

He was horrified by the financial case that got put up on the big screen. When he pointed out that they hadn't made any provision for voids/repairs/tax; and asked how the numbers looked if mortgage rates increased by 3% he was asked to leave. Apparently most of the other "students" just stayed there, lapping it all up.

I wish someone had secretly filmed that.