House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Maglev Train Seen Making Washington-To-Baltimore Trip At 311 Mph

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-21/washington-baltimore-15-minute-trip-pushed-in-maglev-plan.html

Imagine whisking past some of the densest road congestion in the U.S. at 311 miles per hour.

That’s the vision of Northeast Maglev, a company seeking to bring a $10 billion Japanese magnetic-levitation train line to the 40-mile (64 kilometer) Washington-Baltimore corridor for 15-minute trips. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Wayne Rogers said he plans to ask for federal funds next year.

“We have been working with the Japanese government and they have said that they will provide half of the money for the first leg and we have private investment that we’re mobilizing as well,” Rogers said yesterday in Tsuru, Japan. “We hope the U.S. government will be submitting some of the funds to finish it out.”

Time for the Simpsons.

How many people could they actually move?

is it single track...in which case its one train on the track....so to make a difference, it would have to have very long trains...which means long walks to get on and off, which makes the journey time longer for the passenger.

We could do with one of those between Leeds and Manchester. About the same sort of distance.

15 minutes - imagine that.

Depends how much it costs and who's paying. If 5 taxpayers have to work 1 hour each to pay for a fancy bit of kit that saves 1 traveller 1 hour that's a net loss of human lifespan, not to mention a probable redistribution of time from poor people to rich ones.

Depends how much it costs and who's paying. If 5 taxpayers have to work 1 hour each to pay for a fancy bit of kit that saves 1 traveller 1 hour that's a net loss of human lifespan, not to mention a probable redistribution of time from poor people to rich ones.

Its not about saving money.

Its about creating it.

loss making works keep the Ponzi rolling a few more years.

Yippee, get more rushed. I wish people would slow down a bit instead of jerking themselves off over every single thing that they can think of to make life more hectic. Still, I suppose it all helps keeping them too distracted to sit back, think, and see the world, and doing that is no good for your mental health these days. Like being the only sober person when everyone else is completely wasted.

I think maglev is great but why is it so expensive? Is it the materials or is it trying to construct in already built up areas? The return on investment must look pretty nasty on that $10bn unless they're going to charge loads for each ticket.

Every inch of it is probably much more complicated than a road or an ordinary railway. At the risk of massively over-simplifying chuck some tarmac down, or some lumps of metal on concrete blocks, vs. having to have a constant line of magnetising gubbins.

Doesn't it have a horrendously high electricity bill too?

Exactly. I don't consider myself to be a pedant, but that misuse of language is really irritating to me.

I've just imagined seen a maglev train that travels even faster, 500mph, and costs nothing to run.

I'm really quite excited about it.

Professor Eric Laithwaite of Imperial College produced may films about maglev in the 60's and 70's. A lot of them seemed to include firing 6 inch nails into blocks of wood, which might put some people off maglev rail travel.

Always a showman, always entertaning, though

'We hope the U.S. government will be submitting some of the funds to finish it out.”

Is this even good English? 'Finish it out'?

Also, why would the government want to submit funds exactly? And, by 'the government', do they mean the citizen taxpayers?

Professor Eric Laithwaite of Imperial College produced may films about maglev in the 60's and 70's. A lot of them seemed to include firing 6 inch nails into blocks of wood, which might put some people off maglev rail travel.

Always a showman, always entertaning, though

And sadly discredited when he threw in his support for Lyall Watson.