House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Rant

GloomMonger

HOLA441

Moved into our rental 3 months ago, agreed everything with the landlord before signing contracts, then just before signing he texts me to say "oh forgot to tell you we will be doing 3 monthly inspections". This irritates me as I feel 6 monthly is adequate, but put up with it. So he comes round yesterday with his wife and berates me for not oiling his wooden kitchen worktops, and tells me to clean the oven. He never mentioned oiling the worktops before. I bit my lip as I have always had good relations with landlords, but this guy has overstepped the mark. He mentioned buying some mastik to seal around the kitchen sink, I will be interested to see if he wants me to do it, because he can shove it. A broken interior door glass pane still hasn't been fixed since we first viewed and the broken lawnmower wasn't replaced all summer. He tells me to use the hand mower until he can get an electric one in the sales! What a c%~#t.

I despise people like this who just because we are renting believe they are doing us a favour by letting us live in their house. Just getting it off my chest.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Moved into our rental 3 months ago, agreed everything with the landlord before signing contracts, then just before signing he texts me to say "oh forgot to tell you we will be doing 3 monthly inspections". This irritates me as I feel 6 monthly is adequate, but put up with it. So he comes round yesterday with his wife and berates me for not oiling his wooden kitchen worktops, and tells me to clean the oven. He never mentioned oiling the worktops before. I bit my lip as I have always had good relations with landlords, but this guy has overstepped the mark. He mentioned buying some mastik to seal around the kitchen sink, I will be interested to see if he wants me to do it, because he can shove it. A broken interior door glass pane still hasn't been fixed since we first viewed and the broken lawnmower wasn't replaced all summer. He tells me to use the hand mower until he can get an electric one in the sales! What a c%~#t.

I despise people like this who just because we are renting believe they are doing us a favour by letting us live in their house. Just getting it off my chest.

With holding the rent until a working mower is delivered and the glass fixed seems quite reasonable IMO, I wouldn't worry about S21 as it doesn't sound like your going to stay there long with a landlord like that. If the tenancy agreement does not mention you servicing his worktop then forget it.

Soon the landlord won't be able to evict you if there are outstanding issues

HOLA445
HOLA446

Worth getting off your chest. Did he raise his voice with the berating?

I'm glad I've only had one amateur/accidental landlord in recent years, and she wasn't so bad!

He's an accidental landlord, still thinks he lives there. It was more the condescending tone like I was 9 years old, and telling me to clean the oven tray, who does that? Maybe the money lenders should start inspecting mortgaged homes to make sure they are maintained sufficiently!

HOLA447
HOLA448

With holding the rent until a working mower is delivered and the glass fixed seems quite reasonable IMO, I wouldn't worry about S21 as it doesn't sound like your going to stay there long with a landlord like that. If the tenancy agreement does not mention you servicing his worktop then forget it.

Soon the landlord won't be able to evict you if there are outstanding issues

We still have 9 months left. He's so tight I can see him trying to take my deposit at the end, can I withhold the final months rent to mitigate this?

Yea, surprised you agreed to the inspections. You don't have to let him in.

Really? I think it's in my contract.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I am sure most owner occupiers clean their ovens. Wooden worktops need oiling on a regular basis, this makes them unsuitable for rental properties.

Not while there's a hole in my **** is it reasonable for a landlord to specify an oven cleaning regime. If it is a problem to him, he should limit tenants to a 6 monthly period and kick them out each time ensuring it it clean at start and end.

Do one.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Not while there's a hole in my **** is it reasonable for a landlord to specify an oven cleaning regime. If it is a problem to him, he should limit tenants to a 6 monthly period and kick them out each time ensuring it it clean at start and end.

Do one.

It's not even that dirty, just the tray and a few burnt chip crumbs where the door opens. I don't spend much time looking at it. And besides, it will be clean when he gets his house back! I need a drink!

HOLA4414

Has your deposit been protected? Accidental (need a new term for these people as nobody forced them to become rentiers) forget that legislation applies to them.

Yep, fully protected. He used an agency, but is too tight to pay for full management.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

We still have 9 months left. He's so tight I can see him trying to take my deposit at the end, can I withhold the final months rent to mitigate this?

Really? I think it's in my contract.

It doesn't matter what's in the contract. You have the right to withdraw access to your home for the duration of the tenancy. The LL can only access in an emergency.

The number of tenancy agreements I've seen with unenforceable terms is shocking.

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

HOLA4419

It doesn't matter what's in the contract. You have the right to withdraw access to your home for the duration of the tenancy. The LL can only access in an emergency.

The number of tenancy agreements I've seen with unenforceable terms is shocking.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how this applies to HMOs? I've lived in ones myself in the past, and felt absolutely powerless to stop the landlord entering the building (which was pretty frequent) because it felt like I didn't have any power over the communal areas.

HOLA4420

And what happens if you don't do what this idiot expects? Might he give you notice releasing you from another 9 months of his idiocy? Oh dear.

I would live as I please, change the lock barrel and refuse to accommodate any other viewings. If the tenancy ends more quickly, so much the better.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424