House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Nhs Hospital Staff Banned From Drinking Tea Or Coffee On The Job Because It Looks Like They're Not Working Hard Enough

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/nhs-hospital-staff-banned-from-drinking-tea-or-coffee-on-the-job-because-it-looks-like-theyre-not-working-hard-enough-9806903.html

Medics and other staff have been banned from drinking tea or coffee in public areas at three Leicester hospitals.

The ban follows complaints that having a hot drink in front of patients gives the impression staff are slacking.

It applies to outpatient clinic reception areas at Leicester Royal Infirmary, Glenfield Gneral Hospital and Leicester General Hospital.

Staff were informed of the ban in an e-mail from Michelle Scowen, matron for clinical support and imaging, who said the move followed complaints from patients and employees.

She said of the sight of staff enjoying a cup of tea or coffee: “Clearly this activity has given the wrong impression to staff and the public that clinic staff are not working as hard as they might be.

“Members of the public are frustrated by long waiting times during clinics and for appointments and are inflamed by seeing members of staff enjoying hot and cold drinks at the reception desks.

“Our priority must be to ensure that we are not compromising our high standards by presenting a poor impression to the public and staff who visit our departments.”

And yet 5h1t management isn't a problem and is actively promoted within the NHS!

You know the economy is fecked when schemes like this get implemented.

You wouldn't expect any front office staff to be taking their breaks in full view of their customers/patients/clients, this seems reasonable, it's just about professionalism

Rarely see checkout or customer services staff drinking in front of customers. In many offices receptionists are discouraged from drinking in front of visitors at the desk, as are hotel and so on front desks...

I'm sure there are a lot of examples of bad/OTT management in the public sector, but I'm not sure this is one of them.

Eating/drinking in front of customers is simply not polite or necessary. Provided there are quiet places where they can easily do this away from the public I don't see the issue.

I would never eat or drink in front of a customer unless I was going to offer them one as well. That's common courtesy!

You wouldn't expect any front office staff to be taking their breaks in full view of their customers/patients/clients, this seems reasonable, it's just about professionalism

Rarely see checkout or customer services staff drinking in front of customers. In many offices receptionists are discouraged from drinking in front of visitors at the desk, as are hotel and so on front desks...

Speaking as an NHS employee who, who n 33 years has NEVER had a tea break, this is complete ******.

Um, what they said. I pretty much always have tea or coffee on my desk but I'm not customer-facing.

Um, what they said. I pretty much always have tea or coffee on my desk but I'm not customer-facing.

Some personal experience of this, at an NHS facility in Yorkshire, got given an arbitrary appointment and a number to call in order to get thru to the reception to change said appointment if necessary (work commitments). The phone number was never answered so I had to take holiday to make the appointment. Whilst waiting in the waiting room the was a phone constantly ringing on the reception desk, never got answered, whilst staff swanned around eating biscuits and drinking tea ignoring it. Myself and other people in the waiting room were deeply irate.

A lot of the people paying taxes and earning less than NHS staff don't get the luxury of letting the phone ring even when they're on break

Very very unprofessional

The phone number was never answered so I had to take holiday to make the appointment. Whilst waiting in the waiting room the was a phone constantly ringing on the reception desk, never got answered, whilst staff swanned around eating biscuits and drinking tea ignoring it

That was more or less my experience when my dad had his hip done. Dr was great. Other staff generally didn't take the slightest pride in the job they were doing.

I presume all the nursing/administration staff are on minimum wage recruited off the nearest dole queue these days?

I spray water on myself to look like I've really worked hard, and leave everywhere with evidence that work has been done.

84408746-caucasian-business-man-sweating

Maybe not. But if like me, you're part time and don't get a break in your 5 hour shift, it's inevitable that you'll need to eat, or at least drink, in front of the patients in the waiting room. If any comment, I say "I'm human just like you."

And we haven't anywhere quiet to go, unless you count the toilet. This in an 8 year old, purpose built surgery.

Some personal experience of this, at an NHS facility in Yorkshire, got given an arbitrary appointment and a number to call in order to get thru to the reception to change said appointment if necessary (work commitments). The phone number was never answered so I had to take holiday to make the appointment. Whilst waiting in the waiting room the was a phone constantly ringing on the reception desk, never got answered, whilst staff swanned around eating biscuits and drinking tea ignoring it. Myself and other people in the waiting room were deeply irate.

A lot of the people paying taxes and earning less than NHS staff don't get the luxury of letting the phone ring even when they're on break

Very very unprofessional

The eating and drinking is irrelevant to them ignoring the phone. Having worked on reception and having a cup of tea it didn't stop me from answering the fecking phone when it rang.

Eating/drinking in front of customers is simply not polite or necessary. Provided there are quiet places where they can easily do this away from the public I don't see the issue.

I would never eat or drink in front of a customer unless I was going to offer them one as well. That's common courtesy!

I thought Londoners could not stop eating in public ... http://womenwhoeatontubes.tumblr.com/

The eating and drinking is irrelevant to them ignoring the phone. Having worked on reception and having a cup of tea it didn't stop me from answering the fecking phone when it rang.

demarquation brothers...our workers are either on their break, drinking tea and eating cakes, or they are workers working. They are not both...everybody out!

There is nothing more annoying than being in a slow queuing environment waiting for attention when there are staff behind the counter, ignoring you, not so bad if they are filing/copying, writing, whatever, but very bad if they are chatting and lounging.

Saying that, having a cuppa on the desk, grabbing a swig every now and then while dealing with the queue is, IMHO, perfectly acceptable.

demarquation brothers...our workers are either on their break, drinking tea and eating cakes, or they are workers working. They are not both...everybody out!

There is nothing more annoying than being in a slow queuing environment waiting for attention when there are staff behind the counter, ignoring you, not so bad if they are filing/copying, writing, whatever, but very bad if they are chatting and lounging.

Saying that, having a cuppa on the desk, grabbing a swig every now and then while dealing with the queue is, IMHO, perfectly acceptable.

It's the unanswered phones that bug me. More than once I've been tempted to wander to the other side of the counter and answer it in front of the other queuing patients --

"Sorry, we're ignoring your call at this time, but you are important to us. Please try again later".

Caffeine makes people concentrate and work harder. Do the hospital users who complained want to be seen by people who are tired and unfocused?

Caffeine makes people concentrate and work harder. Do the hospital users who complained want to be seen by people who are tired and unfocused?

I don't think anyone is talking about banning Tea and coffee.. This is just about whether it is good to do it in front of customers.

A nurse would see it as "I'm just having a (well deserved) 15 minute coffee break". The customer sees it as "I've been waiting here for half an hour to speak to someone and all the nurses are sat around drinking coffee".

It's all about perception.

I don't think anyone is talking about banning Tea and coffee.. This is just about whether it is good to do it in front of customers.

A nurse would see it as "I'm just having a (well deserved) 15 minute coffee break". The customer sees it as "I've been waiting here for half an hour to speak to someone and all the nurses are sat around drinking coffee".

It's all about perception.

Right, always look like you are over worked, under paid etc. Sadly this is the world we live in these days. This isn't the good old days where people wander in the local post office and chat about the weather, and people leave their front doors open. Those times are gone forever.

Queue. Get served, ohhh bad weather today isn't it, bang, out you go, NEXT.... and so on.

Hot drinks anywhere there is public access brings a risk of them being knocked over on a child and some scalding injury. Any kettles I ever find away from staff rest areas, like stairwells and the like I confiscate. Hot drinks every half hour, outside breaks, means a knock on break for a piss a short while later.

Right, always look like you are over worked, under paid etc. Sadly this is the world we live in these days. This isn't the good old days where people wander in the local post office and chat about the weather, and people leave their front doors open.

It depends on the situation.. If there is no one waiting then there's no problem having a chat with customers.

If you are in a long queue at the supermarket and the check out staff stop to have a long talk with their mate about last night's Xfactor.. You start to get annoyed.

Hot drinks every half hour, outside breaks, means a knock on break for a piss a short while later.

And there's the example of OTT management ;)

Hot drinks anywhere there is public access brings a risk of them being knocked over on a child and some scalding injury. Any kettles I ever find away from staff rest areas, like stairwells and the like I confiscate. Hot drinks every half hour, outside breaks, means a knock on break for a piss a short while later.

do you employ smokers?

Once Ebola hits the health system ....its going to change everyone's hand to mouth actions in public areas in the NHS anyway ....

Breaks shouldnt be done in punters visable areas if you are providing a service , particularly if its stretched.

Its common sense .

Is this post serious or a satire highlighting a whole bunch of problems with rules and managers?