House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

Mike Read’S 'ukip Calypso'

Upon first hearing the faux-Caribbean accent just sounds... racist... but would it be called that if he was singing in a German or French or some other accent?

Also, that particular song is famed for the fact that it is sung in a Caribbean accent.

Hmm... just seems very poor judgement at best. Gives the impression that UKIP is populated by out of touch white skinned people.

It's not 'Springtime for Hitler & Germany' is it? Is it?

In 1984 he made an on-air decision in 1984 to interrupt broadcasting the Frankie Goes to Hollywood song "Relax" owing to its supposedly obscene lyrics. Halfway through playing the single, Read lifted the needle on the track, denounced the lyrics as "obscene" and refused to play it again.[

Oh dear. It's just so crap. Like a really, really bad Two Ronnies end of show number. I can't see this helping them.

It's almost like someone forced him to do it to discredit UKIP.

Can't imagine what possible leverage the establishment could use to get an eighties Radio 1 DJ to do what they want though,

It's almost like someone forced him to do it to discredit UKIP.

Can't imagine what possible leverage the establishment could use to get an eighties Radio 1 DJ to do what they want though,

Thought so too.

Being such a figure in Radio and music he should have known better

Radio 4 had a discussion about it and deemed it racist, Apparently because it mentioned illegal immigrants,

Well I am going to chuck my 79p in...

Anything which pi$$es off the chattering classes is ok by me....

If they hadn't called it racist I wouldn't have bothered.

Up there with Joe Dolce

However

Oscar Wilde:.......................The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.