House Price Crash Forum

Run Silent, Run Deep

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

Time I re-read Red Storm Rising. First read it when I was 13 and loved it. Found a copy in a bin when I was 24 and re-read it- yep, still as great. I'm 35 now...

Try this, of you like that:

Rising Tide: The Untold Story of the Russian Submarines That Fought the Cold War

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I'm suddenly imagining a radically innovative submarine design, where the sub has a 'mouth' and can chase and 'eat' huge shoals of mackerel, processing them into handy little vitamin capsules on the fly (on the swim?), then 'shitting' out pellets of bones and scales. Could all this be made to work alongside the more traditional functions of a nuclear propelled war machine? Worth a crack I reckon.

Shouldn't you be talking to a patent lawyer before posting here? ;)

HOLA443

What we should really fear is ebola carrying pygmies in midget submarines

I instantly thought of ebola and the World War Z book where they hide out in a submarine but unfortuantely zombies don't breathe and live foreverish underwater.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Mysterious ‘Russian sub’ off Sweden may be Dutch – Defense Ministry source

Sweden being neutral should regard Russian or Dutch submarines as, diplomatically speaking, entirely equivalent.

Unless there was a submarine with demonstrably no military purpose. Maybe someone in the Jacques Cousteau tradition?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Didn't think it worth mentioning, being well known as the only truly honourable and necessary underwater campaign in history...

Hmm... why do you say that?

Was not the War in the Atlantic necessary for both sides? The Germans trying to starve the UK into submission by sinking its supply ships. Us by trying to stop them doing so.

For the Germans their underwater campaign was very necessary.

Anyhow, back to Sweden. The Swedes have clearly been tipped off by NATO.

Either one of our subs or one of our sensor nets picked up what the Russkies were up to? Or perhaps Comms was intercepted. Or perhaps one of our birds flew overhead and spotted this sub. Fascinating.

It probably is one of the smaller subs. I imagine NATO would very much like to get its hands on that one that goes deep and quiet. Then again, the Russians just moved one of their big boys to Kalingard so...

What if the Swedes have actually found it and are currently just sitting above it... waiting.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Was not the War in the Atlantic necessary for both sides? The Germans trying to starve the UK into submission by sinking its supply ships. Us by trying to stop them doing so.

Anyhow, back to Sweden. The Swedes have clearly been tipped off by NATO.

Either one of our subs or one of our sensor nets picked up what the Russkies were up to? Or perhaps Comms was intercepted. Or perhaps one of our birds flew overhead and spotted this sub. Fascinating.

It probably is one of the smaller subs. I imagine NATO would very much like to get its hands on that one that goes deep and quiet. Then again, the Russians just moved one of their big boys to Kalingard so...

What if the Swedes have actually found it and are currently just sitting above it... waiting.

The sub was spotted by a member of the public supposedly. Don't find it hard too believe, the area of this archipelago is pretty big. Relying on the navy or tech won't work.

HOLA4415

Necessary perhaps, honourable? Rarely has it been suggested that was the case. On the other hand the chaps in the British submarines...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Sweden being neutral should regard Russian or Dutch submarines as, diplomatically speaking, entirely equivalent.

Unless there was a submarine with demonstrably no military purpose. Maybe someone in the Jacques Cousteau tradition?

Captain Nemo?

HOLA4418

Maybe Holland want to spook Sweden into joining NATO

Apparently the new government in Sweden is less pro NATO than the new one.

Also, like most EU countries, the Swedes have cut back heavily on their military since the Iron Curtain came down and they also moved from a conscription army to a volunteer army - still in the process - from about 2010.

They have got rid of half their tanks - unlikes the Dutch who got rid of them all. Cut back on the numbers of people in the military. Reduced the air force, etc, etc.

Most importantly, perhaps, is that they have removed the Gotland brigade from the island of Gotland - this is considered, by some, to be strategically important for control of the Baltic.

I've done some googling this evening and it seems that whilst eyes have been on the Ukraine that there has been an awful lot going on up in the Baltic over the past year.

HOLA4419

Apparently the new government in Sweden is less pro NATO than the new one.

Also, like most EU countries, the Swedes have cut back heavily on their military since the Iron Curtain came down and they also moved from a conscription army to a volunteer army - still in the process - from about 2010.

They have got rid of half their tanks - unlikes the Dutch who got rid of them all. Cut back on the numbers of people in the military. Reduced the air force, etc, etc.

Most importantly, perhaps, is that they have removed the Gotland brigade from the island of Gotland - this is considered, by some, to be strategically important for control of the Baltic.

I've done some googling this evening and it seems that whilst eyes have been on the Ukraine that there has been an awful lot going on up in the Baltic over the past year.

Running joke in Sweden when I grew up and about to do the national service was that softies and men who like men got sent there. But yeah lots of Russian airplanes testing Swedish defenders. Now this.

HOLA4420

Running joke in Sweden when I grew up and about to do the national service was that softies and men who like men got sent there. But yeah lots of Russian airplanes testing Swedish defenders. Now this.

Was conscription men only - I can't remember. Just wondering how equal equal Sweden was.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Was conscription men only - I can't remember. Just wondering how equal equal Sweden was.

men only. Women could sign up at some point, late nineties maybe? My platoon had two women. 2 out of three at the regiment.

HOLA4424

One upside of Sweden scaling its armed forces back is that the military surplus market has been awash with cheap, pristine equipment that's been in store for forty, fifty or more years; meths stoves, frame rucksacks with leather straps, peculiar-shaped objects that look like they may have something to do with skis, pretty much everything you'd need for the Heroes of Telemark re-enaction experience. Except the jumpers, you might have to knit one yourself, or ask your mum.

HOLA4425

One upside of Sweden scaling its armed forces back is that the military surplus market has been awash with cheap, pristine equipment that's been in store for forty, fifty or more years; meths stoves, frame rucksacks with leather straps, peculiar-shaped objects that look like they may have something to do with skis, pretty much everything you'd need for the Heroes of Telemark re-enaction experience. Except the jumpers, you might have to knit one yourself, or ask your mum.

The jumpers were pretty much the cool bit - plus the blue skiing smock and wooly hat worn by Kirk Douglas.

Those rucksack frames with leather straps - any non-hiking uses?

Archived