House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Run Silent, Run Deep

I don't know, but the title got me all excited about a putative debate of the various merits of the us submarine war in the pacific v the Nazi scum uboats in the Atlantic.

So, what do we make of the hunt for the submarine off Sweden?

Allegedly the sub in question is the quietest and deepest diving sub in the Russian navy.

As seas go the Baltic is not that deep.

The average depth is only about 180 feet (30 fathoms) .

Maybe the Russians have simply run aground.

It would not be the first time that has happened

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_S-363

US submarine crews back from tours in the Pacific used to eat blocks of butter - just slice it and eat it. I assume there was some D3 / fat thing going on there after being under the sea for so long.

Our guys probably needed the same but perhaps rationing meant they did not get it.

US submarine crews back from tours in the Pacific used to eat blocks of butter - just slice it and eat it. I assume there was some D3 / fat thing going on there after being under the sea for so long.

Our guys probably needed the same but perhaps rationing meant they did not get it.

Can you put dates on that? Was it before or after nuclear engines and indefinite underwater renewal of air supply?

I believe the swedes used to call Russian submarines "budget boats" as the navy would always report detecting them off Stockholm just as the defence budget was about to be divided up...

As seas go the Baltic is not that deep.

The average depth is only about 180 feet (30 fathoms) .

Maybe the Russians have simply run aground.

It would not be the first time that has happened

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_S-363

So if it is this particular sub then it can't get away by going deep.

I wonder if they are sat on the bottom now just silent and waiting. Must be about 36 hours already.

So if it is this particular sub then it can't get away by going deep.

I wonder if they are sat on the bottom now just silent and waiting. Must be about 36 hours already.

Time for a few depth charges :ph34r:

The target of the first ever large-scale Commando raid was the fish oil production facility in the Lofoten Islands in 1941. The reason given at the time was that the fish oil was used to make vitamin capsules for U-boat crews.

The target of the first ever large-scale Commando raid was the fish oil production facility in the Lofoten Islands. The reason given at the time was that the fish oil was used to make vitamin capsules for U-boat crews.

Fascinating.

Fascinating.

To anyone interested in fat soluble vitamins *and* military history, completely irresistible.

Apparently, according to leading military historian Ross Kemp, it was Vitamin A they were after.

re. British submariners probable fat soluble vitamin requirements. Except for maybe in the Far East, their typical patrols were much shorter than their US/ German counterparts.

re. British submariners probable fat soluble vitamin requirements. Except for maybe in the Far East, their typical patrols were much shorter than their US/ German counterparts.

Good point.

Time I re-read Red Storm Rising. First read it when I was 13 and loved it. Found a copy in a bin when I was 24 and re-read it- yep, still as great. I'm 35 now...

I don't know, but the title got me all excited about a putative debate of the various merits of the us submarine war in the pacific v the Nazi scum uboats in the Atlantic.

People forgetting the British submarine war in the Meditteranean again. :(

To anyone interested in fat soluble vitamins *and* military history, completely irresistible.

Apparently, according to leading military historian Ross Kemp, it was Vitamin A they were after.

I'm suddenly imagining a radically innovative submarine design, where the sub has a 'mouth' and can chase and 'eat' huge shoals of mackerel, processing them into handy little vitamin capsules on the fly (on the swim?), then 'shitting' out pellets of bones and scales. Could all this be made to work alongside the more traditional functions of a nuclear propelled war machine? Worth a crack I reckon.

I believe the swedes used to call Russian submarines "budget boats" as the navy would always report detecting them off Stockholm just as the defence budget was about to be divided up...

Something to do with the current pacifist left wrong government there...