House Price Crash Forum
long time lurking

Dave You Have A Problem

High ranking EU official in scaremongering to keep us in the EU shocker!

Free movement could easily be prevented if we weren't in the EU, Mr Barroso.

Free movement of people is a great idea. The issue is we have the best benefits so they move this way. It's an easy problem to fix without preventing free movement.

Got it in one......free movement is good.....free benefits is bad.....you get out of it what you put into it....you come here because you love to be here not love what you can get for free. ;)

Got it in one......free movement is good.....free benefits is bad.....you get out of it what you put into it....you come here because you love to be here not love what you can get for free. ;)

So its good for the millions of British working class who have had their wages slashed or jobs taken by people from poor countries coming here.

If its so good over there why dont your ilk p7ss off over there without coming back.

It went unnoticed when it was nations of a similar wealth, its been a disaster since the former communist block nations have arrived.

Edited by Corruption

what are the other benefits like i other countries in comparison? For example I know Ireland gives you a lot more than the UK. What's the benefits like in France, Span and Germany for a start? The UK's should be comparable. The only aspect that I guess would not be comparable is landlords benefit, but then the claimant doesn't get that anyway.

And then there's in work benefits, in Ireland child allowance is much higher than the UK, but tax credit's don't exist however if your other half isn't working you get a large tax allowance.

I guess Bulgaria an Romania allowances are much lower but so is the cost of living.

So its good for the millions of British working class who have had their wages slashed or jobs taken by people from poor countries coming here.

If its so good over there why dont your ilk p7ss off over there without coming back.

It went unnoticed when it was nations of a similar wealth, its been a disaster since the former communist block nations have arrived.

Why should you as a person born here, speaking the language, having friends, family and connections and opportunities feel threatened by people that come here with none of the head start we born and bred here have.....

Try making a start in a foreign country on your own, pick any country in Europe you choose....see how far you can go, and what you have to do to make it.....good luck. ;)

Edited by winkie

Free movement of people is a great idea. The issue is we have the best benefits so they move this way. It's an easy problem to fix without preventing free movement.

I agree, we should stop all those pesky ex-pat Brits living in Spain claiming their winter fuel allowance, pensions and being the biggest health tourists of all, only coming 'home' to use the NHS...

No politician is going to shout from the rooftops that the elderly are only 15% of the population, but claiming 40% of the benefits package - it's way safer to blame 'outsiders'...

I agree, we should stop all those pesky ex-pat Brits living in Spain claiming their winter fuel allowance, pensions and being the biggest health tourists of all, only coming 'home' to use the NHS...

No politician is going to shout from the rooftops that the elderly are only 15% of the population, but claiming 40% of the benefits package - it's way safer to blame 'outsiders'...

I don't necessarily agree with winter fuel allowance, free TV licences, travel passes borderline, pension credits should cover for those in greater need........a state pension should be one amount for all who paid into it over many years living and working in country of choice, to be collected wherever they choose to live......apart from that you go to another country, you support yourself.....your choice. ;)

I know it must be hard to come up with a fair system. But it doesn't seem like they have even tried. I would think that if a group of us got a round a table we could come up with something better in a week.

If a person with no money, language, skills can 'steal' your job - you must be pretty shit at whatever you do.

If a person with no money, language, skills can 'steal' your job - you must be pretty shit at whatever you do.

No just cheap

The UK would have "zero" influence if it voted to leave the EU, the outgoing president of the European Commission has said.

The UK electorate already seems to have pretty much zero influence being in the eu so it wouldn't make any difference. The UK politicians don't seem to have that much influence either except that every dodgy policy seems to have the excuse that it came from the eu - but when it comes to real clamp downs they seem free to act in any way they like.

The UK hasn't been making any progress in living standards since entry and seems to have been sliding down the living standards league pretty much since entry.

It's not as if the UK electorate can vote for any particular policy with any real likelihood of it ever being implemented - perhaps with the exception of voting for some MEPs on the issue of whether to be IN or OUT.

Edited by billybong

Grant Shapps is a snake. Always reminds me of that Harry Enfield character, Tim Nice but Dim.

Did he do a character that was just 'dim'?

Jose Manuel Barroso states........"The UK would have "zero" influence if it voted to leave the EU"

I would have to say we have no influence now or in the past over the EU, full stop......they are masters of politics and group synergy (i always think of the Borg)

Barroso has fired a broadside at Cameron....to put him in his place, knowing full well his plan to limit free movement is just all talk in response to UKIP's surge in the polls......there now is only one option left....

Is it right that this 'unelected bureaucrat' can come over here and lecture us on our responsibility to take in any european that turn up here......wars have started for lesser reasons...

Isn't the Euro using the same argument on the UK that the UK used on Scotland?

Not sure what precisely your comment relates to...but I'll have a stab and say what Fromage said...England and Scotland have (more or less) shared fiscal policy and monetary policy. The EU and ECB seem to pretend they can have shared monetary policy but independent fiscal policy indefinitely.

Whether we want Scotland to have the same fiscal and monetary policy as England is another matter...

Edited by Executive Sadman

To be fair, I think free movement of peoples is perhaps one of the great things about the EU.

Having said that, they expanded into far too many poor countries at the same time and that is a massive shock to the system.

I blame Blair. He championed the expansion eastwards at the behest of the USA and was hoisted by his own petard in then being the only large country to open up. And I would guess deliberately underestimating the numbers who would come.

This ^^ Too much too fast.....