House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battenberg

Co Alarms Going Off.

Last night, about 10 ish the co alarm went off with the warning to move to fresh air. I've got to say it was rather scary.

We've had problems with our antiquated boiler breaking down recently and so I'd moved the alarm from the living, where the gas fire is, to the kitchen. We've also been waiting weeks on quotes to have a new one relocated to our utility room.

I called British Gas and someone came within the hour and disconnected us. There are five of us here plus a cat and dog and I just can't imagine what may have happened if we didn't have the alarm. It is the most bizarre thing because, as warned, there really was no other indication that there was a problem.

Whilst I'm sure there are false alarms with this equipment it isn't something you should leave to chance.

I'd strongly suggest that anyone who doesn't have an alarm goes and gets one. I shall be getting a second one for the living room now. Don't take chances in a rental either even if they service the boiler regularly, or rely on the LL to get one. For the sake of a few quid it's worth getting. The reason I first ever purchased one was because of the ancient CH system that was in our old rental.

I've got 2. One for the boiler in the cellar and one for the upstairs where we sleep. Saying that though the house is so draughty, CO (are you sure that's not what you mean? It's carbon monoxide that is the usual problem not carbon dioxide CO2) would struggle to build up.

When viewing a house, the gas boiler in a bedroom (and I've seen it a few times) makes me want to cry.

I've got 2. One for the boiler in the cellar and one for the upstairs where we sleep. Saying that though the house is so draughty, CO (are you sure that's not what you mean? It's carbon monoxide that is the usual problem not carbon dioxide CO2) would struggle to build up.

When viewing a house, the gas boiler in a bedroom (and I've seen it a few times) makes me want to cry.

The most expensive houses on our street both have gas boilers in the bedrooms. It's insane imo.

The most expensive houses on our street both have gas boilers in the bedrooms. It's insane imo.

Crazy indeed, I though my last place was a bit silly for having it on the landing beside the doors to the bedrooms.

Would be best mounted on an outside wall (with suitable protection), with just the water pipes entering/leaving the house.

Yes you're right, I was referring to carbon monoxide. I've modified the post now. I was never any good at chemistry, I spent most of the lesson outside in the corridor for talking too much.

The Transco fella tried to let next door know because he did say that it can be coming from a neighbours house rather than your own. I pointed out she'd had a new boiler in the last 12 months and he told me the new ones are sealed so shouldn't cause a problem. Still, it has still been put in a bedroom.

Yes you're right, I was referring to carbon monoxide. I've modified the post now. I was never any good at chemistry, I spent most of the lesson outside in the corridor for talking too much.

This is how knowledge gets into other heads! Carbon monoxide is very bad. It will turn you pink and make you dead!

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind put a boiler in the bedroom? Aside from the CO issue even day-to-day it would be annoyingly noisy when it comes on in the morning. Are houses designed any more, or is stuff just slung in wherever it seems to fit?

Crazy indeed, I though my last place was a bit silly for having it on the landing beside the doors to the bedrooms.

Would be best mounted on an outside wall (with suitable protection), with just the water pipes entering/leaving the house.

The social housing houses have had their new bathrooms and kitchens done over the last month.

They have had to have cookers moved so they are against a chimney wall - they've been told it's the law so if your cooker blows up then it doesn't take your house with it.

No different to having a boiler in the bedroom or front room. Gas fires, even cookers in bedsits present the same risks and no one bats an eyelid about those.

Regular qualified inspections and alarms for peace of mind is the way to go. Replacement of old for new even better.

The new kit is far superior under technological changes demanded by the legislators. You can get units now that will auto shutdown boilers where it detects abnormal CO levels.

It can only be a matter of time until they become a compulsory requirement.

No different to having a boiler in the bedroom or front room. Gas fires, even cookers in bedsits present the same risks and no one bats an eyelid about those.

I'm not a fan of any of those either but boiler in a sleeping area? No thanks.

Regular qualified inspections and alarms for peace of mind is the way to go. Replacement of old for new even better.

See the rising blue line on the line graph?

acenturyofhousing_tcm77-307080.png

This is how knowledge gets into other heads! Carbon monoxide is very bad. It will turn you pink and make you dead!

I was a very naughty girl Mr Pin despite being taught by nuns.

I was a very naughty girl Mr Pin despite being taught by nuns.

Nuns are naughty! The purifying nature of Pin will clear the filth out of them. Think of me as half a dirty angel, and quite a competent welder!