House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Lockheed Martin - Compact Fusion

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/compact-fusion.html

It’s no secret that our Skunk Works® team often finds itself on the cutting edge of technology. As they work to develop a source of infinite energy, our engineers are looking to the biggest natural fusion reactor for inspiration – the sun. By containing the power of the sun in a small magnetic bottle, we are on the fast track to developing nuclear fusion reactors to serve the world’s ever-growing energy needs.

Compact Fusion
WEABT-header.jpg

It’s no secret that our Skunk Works® team often finds itself on the cutting edge of technology. As they work to develop a source of infinite energy, our engineers are looking to the biggest natural fusion reactor for inspiration – the sun. By containing the power of the sun in a small magnetic bottle, we are on the fast track to developing nuclear fusion reactors to serve the world’s ever-growing energy needs.

FUSION VS. FISSION
More than 50 years ago, nuclear power through fission was the excitement of its day. People tried using it to power almost everything, even planes. In the end, operational hurdles prevented fission from widespread use.

While fission continues to power our nuclear reactors today, fusion offers a cleaner, safer source of energy.

Fission occurs when one atom is split into two smaller fragments, creating an explosion of sorts and resulting in the release of heat energy.

Fusion is the process by which a gas is heated up and separated into its ions and electrons. When the ions get hot enough, they can overcome their mutual repulsion and collide, fusing together. When this happens, they release a lot of energy – about one million times more powerful than a chemical reaction and 3-4 times more powerful than a fission reaction.

Energy created through fusion is 3-4 times more powerful than the energy released by fission.

HOW COMPACT FUSION WORKS
Nuclear fusion is the process by which the sun works. Our concept will mimic that process within a compact magnetic container and release energy in a controlled fashion to produce power we can use.
A reactor small enough to fit on a truck could provide enough power for a small city of up to 100,000 people

Building on more than 60 years of fusion research, the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works approach to compact fusion is a high beta concept. This concept uses a high fraction of the magnetic field pressure, or all of its potential, so we can make our devices 10 times smaller than previous concepts. That means we can replace a device that must be housed in a large building with one that can fit on the back of a truck.

A small truck to power a small town???

Are they really this close?

Sounds like Rossi's e-Cat to me, no wonder the USPTO refused him the patent, that would have prevented the US military-industrial corporations such as Lockheed Martin to profit from this.

http://ecat.com/

We already have the sun, and it seems to work! Fusion is rubbish, because it makes hydrogen into helium, which is only good for divers and party balloons. We are probably better off keeping the water, or we will end up like Easter Island. :blink:

Unlike Rossi's e-cat, this idea doesn't invoke physics which is known not to occur. The principle here is the same as conventional fusion, namely magnetic containment of a super-hot deuterium plasma, but with a different shape of magnetic field which is supposed to be more compact.

It doesn't sound utterly implausible at first glance. Whether the device actually works as planned or is buildable remains to be seen.

I'm not convinced.

Multinational projects have been throwing billions at this problem since the 50s or 60s. The infrastructure they've built and discarded in the effort makes the pyramids look like sandcastles. And yet, some minor speculative project team are saying, "hey, it's done - we'll deliver it in a large suitcase in a fortnight".

Multinational projects have been throwing billions at this problem since the 50s or 60s. The infrastructure they've built and discarded in the effort makes the pyramids look like sandcastles.

That's what happens when you reward failure. You never get success.

We already have the sun, and it seems to work! Fusion is rubbish, because it makes hydrogen into helium, which is only good for divers and party balloons. We are probably better off keeping the water, or we will end up like Easter Island. :blink:

Pin, what have you got against party balloons FFS?

That's what happens when you reward failure. You never get success.

Indeed, too many academic empires threatened by agile innovation, has to be stopped

Don't they need helium for MRI machines?

Don't they need helium for MRI machines?

Helium's needed for all kinds of things and is running out quite quickly. There's a lot of research at the minute looking at replacing it.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/compact-fusion.html

A small truck to power a small town???

Are they really this close?

except they still need more energy in than it generates.

Still, small steps.

Then again, maybe power tools would help to do up all those bolts they showed a girly doing up with a spanner.

I've got a lot against them because Helium does not naturally occur on Earth and we are running out of it. It is very useful for things such as MRI scanners as Sarah stated.

It does occur naturally, as a result of radiioactive fission, and the world's reserves are extracted from natural gas. The US started storing it underground for military balloons, and have in the past few years been selling it off.

The problems with helium are that it's atoms are so small, and single atoms, it is hard to contain, and it's atoms are so light they easily achieve ecape velocity and escape into space from our atmosphere.

I thing that in a generation's time people will shudder that we wasted it on party balloons.

Even if we get fusion working it seems unlikely it would be the source of that much helium, seeing as it doesn't need much fuel to begin with.

Sceptical about claims like this being anywhere near working but at least it's not trying to claim the existence of the type of physics that make Star Trek look like a Nobel prize winner. These ideas are worth pursuing. The expense is high and the chances of success low but the potential rewards are massive.

I thing that in a generation's time people will shudder that we wasted it on party balloons.

It's funny to have a squeaky voice for a couple of minutes!

I wasn't aware that we were pursuing nuclear fusion as a way to manufacture helium for party balloons, I thought it had something to do with being a virtually unlimited source of useful energy?

It's funny to have a squeaky voice for a couple of minutes!

In 2114, everyone will have unlimited energy, wear bacofoil pants and shirts, and have squeaky voices from all the helium.

I have seen the future.

In 2114, everyone will have unlimited energy, wear bacofoil pants and shirts, and have squeaky voices from all the helium.

I have seen the future.

Every famous futurist, of the 20th century, seemed to drastically underestimate the amount of people, sitting in their underpants, watching funny videos of cats.

Every famous futurist, of the 20th century, seemed to drastically underestimate the amount of people, sitting in their underpants, watching funny videos of cats.

Now that is the future, and sadly we are here already. :blink:

I agree. I have a degree in Physics, but I can still see a ******** waste of money, funding loon research, when I look hard enough!