House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Nationwide Charges

Just doing my 2013 accounts. I noticed that I was overdrawn with Nationwide to the tune of 500 quid for 24 hours and only have a 300 quid overdraft limit. I have a considerable sum saved with them.

For this I got a

1.50 interest charge

15.00 paid item fee

20.00 overdraft fee

I guess now they get all their money from the BOE magic singing money tree they don't really care about their customers.

Just doing my 2013 accounts. I noticed that I was overdrawn with Nationwide to the tune of 500 quid for 24 hours and only have a 300 quid overdraft limit. I have a considerable sum saved with them.

For this I got a

1.50 interest charge

15.00 paid item fee

20.00 overdraft fee

I guess now they get all their money from the BOE magic singing money tree they don't really care about their customers.

Phone them up and say you have not gone overdrawn before (unless you do so often) and it was a short oversight etc, and I'd be surprised if you don't get a refund.

I have been 'caught' a handful of times on bank and building society accounts, and through missing the payment deadline on credit card statements.

99.99% of the time I am in credit and pay off credit card statements in full and they can see that.

i have always got a refund of any fees levied and interest charged.

For this I got a

1.50 interest charge

15.00 paid item fee

20.00 overdraft fee

500 quid isn't trivial. But as someone said, might be worth complaining to them.

If that was really just one day, then your £1.50 interest is an APR of 198%.

Yes, and if your phone call doesn't work go into one of the branches that still have a manager and make it clear if it is not refunded you want a branch cheque NOW and withdraw all your funds. It's only by complaints that large firms change behaviour.

Yes, and if your phone call doesn't work go into one of the branches that still have a manager and make it clear if it is not refunded you want a branch cheque NOW and withdraw all your funds. It's only by complaints that large firms change behaviour.

And be prepared to move your account.

500 quid isn't trivial. But as someone said, might be worth complaining to them.

I will complain, I'd only just noticed it but it dates from some time back. They hide the 15 quid fee so I hadn't seen it. If they gave decent interest on savings I might let it go. I will move some of my money now anyway. Not sure where to mind.

I will complain, I'd only just noticed it but it dates from some time back. They hide the 15 quid fee so I hadn't seen it. If they gave decent interest on savings I might let it go. I will move some of my money now anyway. Not sure where to mind.

Personally, I have never chosen the 'complaining' route as they are perfectly entitled to make the charges if they are in the T&C

BUT, for someone whose account is always in credit, or who always pays their credit card statements in full, they will realise that it is simply a 'timing' error and they will take the 'reasonable' approach.

So just explain the situation.

Well, it's always worked for me, even if it's not until a few months afterwards that I notice, like you.