House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Online Address Label Printing?

Does anyone know of a UK online mailing address label printing service that allows you to do a mail merge with your own contacts on your desktop?

i.e. - you use their label templates online, upload your contacts, do a mail merge and they then print the labels and mail them to you?

Does anyone know of a UK online mailing address label printing service that allows you to do a mail merge with your own contacts on your desktop?

i.e. - you use their label templates online, upload your contacts, do a mail merge and they then print the labels and mail them to you?

No, but

Are you planning on posting ? perhaps lots, or even just a modest amount.

If so Baker Goodchild could do the whole lot for you.

No connection, but can recommend. Good value. They might even do just the labels.

Think that mailmerge and label printing is so common that not something that perceived as additional service - no access to laser printer? the required software should be free.

Thanks guys.

Basically have a neighbour who has his contacts on his ipad and wishes to print his contacts onto sticky mailing labels via his HP printer.

He downloaded the Avery app for the ipad and went through the wizard to choose a template, import his contacts, etc, but everytime he gets to the preview & print option it reconfigures the addresses without any spaces between the road address, suburb, city, postcode and country. Plus it also puts the postcode ahead of the city - definitely in the US format.

I had a look and can't find any settings to change the app to UK so it is pretty pointless for the UK it seems.

Thanks guys.

Basically have a neighbour who has his contacts on his ipad and wishes to print his contacts onto sticky mailing labels via his HP printer.

He downloaded the Avery app for the ipad and went through the wizard to choose a template, import his contacts, etc, but everytime he gets to the preview & print option it reconfigures the addresses without any spaces between the road address, suburb, city, postcode and country. Plus it also puts the postcode ahead of the city - definitely in the US format.

I had a look and can't find any settings to change the app to UK so it is pretty pointless for the UK it seems.

Bummer, was thining maybe avery app. Suggest export and get into Excel, then re-order columns and then into avery. Probably best done on PC ;-)

Bummer, was thining maybe avery app. Suggest export and get into Excel, then re-order columns and then into avery. Probably best done on PC ;-)

Yeah, it undoubtedly is best done on a PC. You have some editing functions in the avery app but they are things that, IMPO, need to be done with a mouse and not a finger.

I tried rearranging the addresses manually - and thought that I had cracked it when the address appeared in UK format correctly - but when I clicked on the preview & print option it basically screwed everything up again.

My 86 yr old neighbour - lovely chap - just got his new ipad and wants to do as much as possible on it.

It's interesting that when I first got into computing printing things like labels and envelopers was a notoriously painful and random process.... and decades later it is still not simple.

I tried to point out to my neighbour that even when you get the templates right when you actually print out the labels your own printer can also screw up where the printing actually goes on the labels.

Hence why I was looking for an online service. There probably isn't such a thing because it is so hit and miss. Printing return labels online is a no-brainer but address labels from a contacts DB is a tad different.

Thanks - being doing that.

It doesn't drag the address over from the Apple Contacts as individual fields though. It displays the first name last name as one field... but then it displays the street address, suburb, city, postcode, country as one field. So you can't add spaces between the fields as there is just one field known as address.

Maybe it isn't recognising the input format? Ie. Can you format contacts differently (different field separator for instance) before uploading/importing them?

Maybe it isn't recognising the input format? Ie. Can you format contacts differently (different field separator for instance) before uploading/importing them?

The contacts were manually entered directly into the ipad Contacts - they weren't imported from a third party. So there appears to be something wrong with how the Avery app is importing the Contacts as part of the mail merge.

I assume it must work in the US so I wonder if when you have an ipad set as the United States for its default locale that the address fields in Contacts are indeed separate.... but when the ipad is set to the UK that the address field is just one field.

But surely others would have picked up on this long before now one would have thought.

I experienced something similar with Avery templates on Windows back in the mid/late 1990s.

Fair enough. I'm not an iPad or Avery user, just 'thinking out loud'.

The link I posted seemed to be UK specific, so the app is probably locale aware.

I'm sure there's an answer one way or another somewhere...