House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Brown And The Long Game

paradox

HOLA441

How about this...?

A while ago GB was hoping to get into Number 10 as soon as possible and it was in his interest to postpone a HPC.

Now he sees David Cameron, he sees Blair hanging on, he will not be Prime Minister any time soon, therefore he wants to get the inevitable HPC over and done with ASAP. The sooner the better.

He reckons that by the election of 2009 we will be over the worst of the HPC, looking forward to the Olympics and Mr Prudent will be able to claim he has seen us through an oil price induced slowdown or recession.

He now realises that we need a slowdown or recession now (remember we were due one a while back) so that he can have a pick up in time to win the next election.

It is a long game planning for a feel good factor in 2009, what better way to bring it on than a good old HPC right now. Maybe he will even tell all the new happy FTBers that he did it for them.

And how many BTLs vote labour anyway.

Just an idea....

Edited by paradox

HOLA442

How about this...?

A while ago GB was hoping to get into Number 10 as soon as possible and it was in his interest to postpone a HPC.

Now he sees David Cameron, he sees Blair hanging on, he will not be Prime Minister any time soon, therefore he wants to get the inevitable HPC over and done with ASAP. The sooner the better.

He reckons that by the election of 2009 we will be over the worst of the HPC, looking forward to the Olympics and Mr Prudent will be able to claim he has seen us through an oil price induced slowdown or recession.

He now realises that we need a slowdown or recession now (remember we were due one a while back) so that he can have a pick up in time to win the next election.

It is a long game planning for a feel good factor in 2009, what better way to bring it on than a good old HPC right now. Maybe he will even tell all the new happy FTBers that he did it for them.

Just an idea....

I didn't get that... were not just talking 'paradox' we are talking 'deep paradox' if that is what is going on. All I saw was Gordie jumping into bed with Nationwide and Halifax (the biggest VI scumbags in the banking system) with his 75% equity deal (I mean WTF - I buy a house, put my heart and soul into making it nice, and any profit I make from a sale 25% of my hard labour goes to the government (I already pay my taxes) and the bank - I already pay interest). And what if I want to sell and the market has fallen. Do the government and the bank get to tell me that I can't because its the wrong time for them???

HOLA443

How about this...?

Just an idea....

I sort of agree with where you are coming from,but the voters have slightly longer memories than that.

....not far of the attention span of your average goldfish but long enough to remember pain for a couple of years.

HOLA444

How about this...?

A while ago GB was hoping to get into Number 10 as soon as possible

, therefore he wants to get the inevitable HPC over and done with ASAP. The sooner the better.

Just an idea....

Er no. A nice idea. But I'm afraid that no one will be able to stop the HPC (with an economic recession) at a certain point or slow it down or introduce it at a certain time. The economy is simply too complex made up of so many individual financial decisions. Getting it over and done with quickly is a nice idea (although not for everyone) but not really achievable.

I am sure lots of BTLs vote Labour - why wouldn't they?

HOLA445

Public boredom will do it for Gordon as much as a HPC.

The longer he is around the less the voters will want him.

I have said before that his life is shaping up to be a Shakespeare tragedy - rampant ambition, pride and ego, and yet he will never get what he most craves.

Edited by Starcrossed

HOLA446

Public boredom will do it for Gordon as much as a HPC.

The longer he is around the less the voters will want him.

I have said before that his life is shaping up to be a Shakespeare tragedy - rampant ambition, pride and ego, and yet he will never get what he most craves.

interesting analogy!

and let's not forget that Blair, as the incumbent, has the most bearing on when he goes. GB is largely at the mercy of TB's whims in that respect. If TB sees this as his "legacy" term, then he'd better get a move on though.

I suspect those two are pretty much at war trying to smear each other's reputations. In that respect, they will both succeed.

HOLA447
HOLA448

How sad.

They had such an opportunity in 1997.

:(

Shakespeare would have considered this fitting retribution on a country that had abandoned the "Divine Right of Kings". Muck about with the Given Order at your peril!

Me, just the usual bunch of pathological types we get running the show scrapping to be pack leader.

The horrible truth is that all this directly affects most of us in many ways.

HOLA449

I am only half serious about the Brown conspiracy theory and it would be almost too Machiavellian.

However there is a point to be made - people have long memories yes - but the main thing is how do they see things going forward - are they getting better or getting worse.

The tragic problem with Brown is that he claims to have manufactured the longest boom ever, but he has also been well and truly shafted by Blair. All booms, even long ones, have to end sometime. And Blair has just hung on and on - not allowing Brown to get out before his so called boom ends.

Therefore, if he reckons there are going to be choppy waters ahead, his best bet is for this to happen ASAP so that things will be improving by the next election.

On the other hand, I am not really suggesting he is trying to bring about a HPC - and certainly the shared ownership schemes are designed to prop prices up.

Starcrossed is right. He is just a tragic figure

Doooomed, as Colonel Frazier would say.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

well i would agree with one thing.

gordon brown knows there is, and has been for a while, a massive housing/lending bubble.

he knows how much a young person has to shell out for a 2 bed terrace.

and he knows this money supports the generation aboive financially.

he knows.

that was his plan.

to buy votes.