House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will!

I Have Knackered My Macbook

I bought a MacBook Pro in March of this year from the Apple Online Store by debit card. No problems.

This morning I when I closed it I caught the power adapter connector (about 4mm deep) between the top left corner of the keyboard and the bottom left corner of the screen. I now have a column of dead pixels about 3cm wide on the left side of the screen.

The AppleCare Protection Plan explicitly excludes accidents, I'm either going to have to pay for a new screen (not cheap I'm sure) or argue that the goods were not of satisfactory quality as the amount of damage sustained by the screen is greater than would be expected from application of such a small amount of force and ask for a repair or replacement under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Any other suggestions?

I bought a MacBook Pro in March of this year from the Apple Online Store by debit card. No problems.

This morning I when I closed it I caught the power adapter connector (about 4mm deep) between the top left corner of the keyboard and the bottom left corner of the screen. I now have a column of dead pixels about 3cm wide on the left side of the screen.

The AppleCare Protection Plan explicitly excludes accidents, I'm either going to have to pay for a new screen (not cheap I'm sure) or argue that the goods were not of satisfactory quality as the amount of damage sustained by the screen is greater than would be expected from application of such a small amount of force and ask for a repair or replacement under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Any other suggestions?

Don't tell them it was an accident, say you did it deliberately.

Go the while hog and make a YouTube video crushing it in a vice. If it goes viral with Apple haters the advertising will pay for a new one.

:lol: Love the suggestion. But unfortunately Apple is not easily named and shamed.

I had a late 2005 iBook which was prey to kernel panic, quite obviously due to a batch of motherboards with dodgy soldering.

It turned into one of the longest ever threads on several Mac forums, but I think only in Finland did a guy ever get compensation. The cure was to throw away the working Airport Express card and use an external wifi antenna . . . a bit inelegant, but not a lot else you could do.

I feel for the OP . . . years ago I accidentally spilled coffee on the keyboard of a portable when computers cost a lot more than they do now.

My tip . . . get a non-working/spares repairs MacBook on ebay and cannibalise the screen. There are a lot of disassembly instructions on the net and You Tube.

Are there visible marks on the screen/computer? If not, perhaps pop into an Apple store, and tell them the screen's gone wonky. There's a good chance they'll fix it no questions asked.

As a temp fix, perhaps adjusting the under/overscan might at least give you something you can work with. I think this application might let you do it:

http://www.madrau.com/index.html

Are there visible marks on the screen/computer? If not, perhaps pop into an Apple store, and tell them the screen's gone wonky. There's a good chance they'll fix it no questions asked.

As a temp fix, perhaps adjusting the under/overscan might at least give you something you can work with. I think this application might let you do it:

http://www.madrau.com/index.html

That's what I'd do, and chance my arm...I've heard they'll just lift the old one out, and put the new one in there and then...I think those screens are LG, and to get a proper one (not a crappy third party one), the retina display one is prob the best part of a couple of hundred quid...

Doesn't the 'Genius Bar' charge you 70 quid or so just to 'look at' something? As I remember, I didn't have a great consumer experience there with my iBook. And that, I discovered later, must have been well known to them as a manufacturing defect.

No insurance unfortunately.

No external signs of damage.

I hadn't considered fibbing and saying it just stopped working out of the blue. They might not believe it because it was working fine for six months before this happened and the pattern of dead pixels looks like it might be diagnostic of a certain kind of damage.

Doesn't the 'Genius Bar' charge you 70 quid or so just to 'look at' something? As I remember, I didn't have a great consumer experience there with my iBook. And that, I discovered later, must have been well known to them as a manufacturing defect.

If you've got AppleCare, then you shouldn't be..

£559 for a new 15" Retina display. Ouch.

The problem is a design flaw that makes it too easy to catch the power adapter connector between the keyboard and the screen, but the guy behind the counter wasn't going to go for my 'not of satisfactory quality (durability)' argument. He even had an 'X' (as in OS X) tattoo on his wrist.

The problem is a design flaw that makes it too easy to catch the power adapter connector between the keyboard and the screen, but the guy behind the counter wasn't going to go for my 'not of satisfactory quality (durability)' argument. He even had an 'X' (as in OS X) tattoo on his wrist.

I take it that was the "genius" bar..

Try these people http://www.applerepairsinlondon.co.uk/macbook-screen-replacement.asp

Otherwise you'll be looking at house insurance..

Yeah, he figured out there was a crack inside the display. Unfortunately there are a dent and some scratches on the outer casing and even though they're unrelated to the display problem they weaken my argument that it's not been accidentally damaged.

:wacko:

Worth trying at an apple shop.

I've had them fix a macbook at no charge. They like happy customers who are more likely to buy Apple products again and to recommend it to their friends.

Sorry, should have made it clear. That *was* the apple shop. Tried them first for the reason you give. Now in for repairs for 10-14 days.

*giggles*

I think this will be as affective as anything else. :)

Effective! Miss Bell! See me after assembly. :unsure:

Sorry, should have made it clear. That *was* the apple shop. Tried them first for the reason you give. Now in for repairs for 10-14 days.

It's just possible you might get a different reaction in another apple shop.

The build quality of Macs isn't what it was. The old black laptops were wonderful . . . (Wallstreet, Pismo) . . . you could drop them down a flight of stairs . . . and fix and upgrade them yourself.

Apple keyboards have always been rubbish. I have used Macs since the 80s and I like the OS, but now I mainly use a hackintosh netbook and laptop and a mac mini . . . the hardware isn't up to snuff.

The build quality of Macs isn't what it was. The old black laptops were wonderful . . . (Wallstreet, Pismo) . . . you could drop them down a flight of stairs . . . and fix and upgrade them yourself.

Apple keyboards have always been rubbish. I have used Macs since the 80s and I like the OS, but now I mainly use a hackintosh netbook and laptop and a mac mini . . . the hardware isn't up to snuff.

I thought hackintoshes were rubbish? Work OK for you then?