House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wurzel Of Highbridge

Selling A Car On Ebay

I put my car up for sale to end on Saturday evening at 5pm. So far I have over 100 watchers and biddings around £600, expecting to make around £1500 looking at sold prices of similar cars.

The only problem I have is the idiots.

The keep messaging me with cash offers (it's an auction sale), but are not prepared to bid. I would have thought that anyone seriously interest would come for a test drive or to look at it.

Why would you be prepared to make a cash offer but not bid? It's not like I am going to cancel the auction!

So far I have had 5 of these individuals contact me.

From experience, they're probably sick of searching and just want to get it over with, but they're probably also worried the bidding will go beyond what they're prepared to pay.

Also, you'll have to pay about £150 in fees if you get your asking price so accepting an offer could work out better for both parties.

Scammers?

I know somebody who sold his car through ebay and didn't get the money.

And somebody who was selling a boat got a lot of messages from a very persistent bloke who basically wanted to know where it was moored. Sensibly they didn't tell him and he got really narked, they were (correctly IMO) suspicious that when he knew where it was he might just remove it for free.

Normal people who want to buy don't do this funny business, anybody who is is best ignored.

Normal people who want to buy don't do this funny business, anybody who is is best ignored.

I've done plenty of deals like this, admittedly not for cars (one motorbike though) and I can confirm that I am not a scammer! Maybe I'm not "normal" though...

• Mr Pin Likes EBay!I buy loads of shit!

I've done plenty of deals like this, admittedly not for cars (one motorbike though) and I can confirm that I am not a scammer! Maybe I'm not "normal" though...

Do you do teh pestering thing though? That's the scammer hallmark, a normal person would just move on.

From experience, they're probably sick of searching and just want to get it over with, but they're probably also worried the bidding will go beyond what they're prepared to pay.

Also, you'll have to pay about £150 in fees if you get your asking price so accepting an offer could work out better for both parties.

eBay fees seem to have gone down for the occasional car sale.

http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/introduction-ebay-fees

Listing fee auction = £10

Final valuation fee = 1% final selling price (min £20 max £35)

I wouldn't come around to look at a car with the intention to then go and bid. If I like it then I want to take it away there and then.

If I were to bid I would probably do so without looking, which would limit my budget to something very low in billy bargain territory.

In my experience if the winning bidder of a completed car auction turns up and pays cash without a hitch then you've been very lucky.

It can be a lot less hassle to have someone arrive, make a sensible offer, take the cash and cancel the auction. At least that way it's done and dusted.

HOWEVER whilst this used to be a great option. These days you have to pay a fee based on the price that it was up to when you cancelled the auction. I think you get a couple of free passes on cancelling auctions before this happens though.

If someone wins and doesn't turn up, you have the bother of reporting a non payer, getting the fee cancelled and finally being able to relist it 2 weeks later.

It's because of all this fuss that I've just scrapped my last two bangers. Technically they would have been worth more on eBay, but the extra few quid isn't worth the bother of dealing with idiots. £1500 is way out of this range though.

(null)

There's probably a book in the weird encounters buying and selling on ebay has produced.

The problem with car auctions is no-one is going to travel to view then go home and bid to maybe win. In most cases people will bid to win and (rightly in my view) walk away if they then find there's an issue.

I remember going to pick-up one car and it was clearly producing moist coolant laden farts from the head, indicating gasket failure. Bloke then admitted it and offered to knock the cost of repair off. I said it wasn't enough, in any case, and I was distrusful there were no other issues. He went mental and started slamming the doors shouting if you win the auction you have to buy it. A neighbour then came out and started complaing about all the noise he was always making (clearly some history between them) it escalated into them tussling with each other through the boundary hedge and I took the opportunity to leave - wasn't some rough estate either, actually a fairly reasonable part of Stevenage

Another time picking up a car, I was trying to reverse the trailer up to his garage to winch the car out. The bloke was some know it all, who was apparently a trailer reversing expert, and kept saying you want to turn the wheel the other way through the window and did I want him to do it. Because of the way cars were parked it was very difficult to get enough steering lock on to make the trailer turn but, I finally relented and passed it over to his expertise whereby he promptly demolished his garden fence. His wife then came out bawling 'he'll have to pay for that' until she realise he was driving whereby they had a mini domestic where she asked him what he was thinking doing it when he struggled to reverse out of the drive at her sisters - as I say definitely a book in it

For every chancer trying to offload a knackered car, on ebay, though there's another looking to exploit feedback to get money knocked off when they arrive to collect. Shame a special chancers internet auction site can't be set-up where they can all merrily rip each other off.

I bought and sold my last several cars through eBay without much of a hitch. Only one was a complete banger, it looked dodgy at the time but I needed a car there and then (2007) because my trusty 90's Rover 214 had blown up. If I bid without viewing then I just bite my lip and pay as it's an auction, I also pay auction prices and expect to get auction prices.

I just bought a black Vivaro from eBay described as good condition, it was relisted because it had bad stone chip damage and lots of scratches. I got it the second time around £750 cheaper than the original bidder had offered. I would have never paid what the first buyer paid because I had viewed it and test driven it. Even then it turns out to have a slow puncture and a tiny fuel leak which results in you having to manually prime the thing after leaving it sit for two weeks. I have almost finished the bodywork now (T-cut & touch up paint) and it looks £750 better for it.