House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lifes a game

Londoners Must Earn £100K Per Year

100k minimum, I would have thought. Even 100k doesn't go far in London.

It does beg the question.....what if you earn £30K a year...like most normal people.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Thats why London is the biggest recipient of Housing Benefit.

It's also worth noting, that earning £100K per annum puts you in the top couple of per cent of earners in the UK ( if not the world ) and yet.....YOU CAN ONLY AFFORD A S***Y STARTER FLAT.

COLLAPSE TO FOLLOW

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

It's also worth noting, that earning £100K per annum puts you in the top couple of per cent of earners in the UK ( if not the world ) and yet.....YOU CAN ONLY AFFORD A S***Y STARTER FLAT.

COLLAPSE TO FOLLOW

I think a 100k salary would put you in the top 0.5% of earners.

From memory, 50K is in the top 5%.

People always tend to think other people earn lots of money.

Look at the low (and falling) income tax receipts - the majority of the UK are on less than 10k + tax credits, or working cash-in-hand.

People are esp. dumb when it comes to selling a house.

When my mum bangs on about xyx being up for sale for xyz pounds I point out the salary it require to buy.

Then I ask her is she knows any of the, roughly, 5 people in the area earning that much and whether they need another house.

She then says, 'Oh they can let it out'

I then point there is no market for 3+ bed room houses due to housing benefit changes and the market for rentals is even worse than the selling market.

She then tells me Im being stupid and she's sure things will work out.

The next day she'll come back from work and tell me xyz's friend at work has been trying to sell their house for 8 years.

(This is the North by the way).

Londoners must earn £100,000 per year before they can afford a home:

That'll be the target to look forward too for wage inflation then.

Complete rubbish......two people earn to £50k each......or half the price of a starter family home.

Or move to a place where one person earns £50k or two people earn £25k....and a starter family home is twice as big and twice as nice. ;)

Complete rubbish......two people earn to £50k each......or half the price of a starter family home.

Or move to a place where one person earns £50k or two people earn £25k....and a starter family home is twice as big and twice as nice. ;)

Or take your last months salary and f**king leave.

That's you you tell them to stick their ponzi up their banker ar*es.

There's an Account Director job, half way down the page, paying £42,000-£45,000 per hour. Sign me up.

Isn't 'account director' just poncy London-speak for bottom grade sales spiv?

Pretty sure, don't forget the 1 million who commute in every day.

More than 1 million. It was 1.4 million in 2010.

London's resident working age population was 5.4 million (April 2013 - March 2014). The working age employment rate was 72.8%, ergo just over 3.9 million of the resident population in employment.

Plus the above commuters. I make that 5.3 million.

London prices are just completely moronic at the moment. £400k for a 2-bed flat shoehorned into the top of a house, in a shit area (I know it very well) with no parking or garden. I wouldn't even pay £100k for it. In the past these properties were bought by low earners working in supermarkets etc.

Even on a salary of £60k (which is damn good for London) with a large deposit you wouldn't be able to get a mortgage for it.

I don't know what the average earners are supposed to do. Yeah, you can commute in from the suburbs, but the journey is hell, costs a fortune and can add an extra 2 hours to your day.

Plenty to go at:

Found 146 jobs for over £100,000

http://jobs.theguardian.com/jobs/london-greater-/over-100-000/

These are jobs including Chief Executive. Now, what sort of house would you expect to find a CEO living in? I had a quick look on right move for 3 to 4 bed houses in Central London and you are realistically looking at £5 million. However, I suspect that £100K per annum will not be sufficient to warrant buying one of these. Lets say the poor old CEO has to settle for a 2 bed apartment, Lets go a few pages in on the search results on rightmove to be fair: £2 million. OK, our poor CEO might have to settle for a bedsit?

These are jobs including Chief Executive. Now, what sort of house would you expect to find a CEO living in? I had a quick look on right move for 3 to 4 bed houses in Central London and you are realistically looking at £5 million. However, I suspect that £100K per annum will not be sufficient to warrant buying one of these. Lets say the poor old CEO has to settle for a 2 bed apartment, Lets go a few pages in on the search results on rightmove to be fair: £2 million. OK, our poor CEO might have to settle for a bedsit?

I would say those top paying jobs go to people that don't have to worry about paying a mortgage....... Thousands of Londoners in the top jobs are already high net worth people.....their wages are their spending money, free to spend as they feel fit, here there and everywhere.

Isn't 'account director' just poncy London-speak for bottom grade sales spiv?

Most people can't sell to any meaningful degree and it shows not just in their career progression but also their personal lives. Nothing whatsoever happens until someone sells something - No Production required, no service workers required, no back office workers required and obviously no tax receipts so no State workers.....

Nothing sells itself.

That kid who is bashing the phones all day and taking abuse that the so called workers or academics won't sully their hands with learns more in a year than most people in a lifetime about human relationships - which in a globalised world is a skill that perhaps will be the West's only USP.

So slag sales off all you want but that kid will one day be your boss and rightly so

Most people can't sell to any meaningful degree and it shows not just in their career progression but also their personal lives. Nothing whatsoever happens until someone sells something - No Production required, no service workers required, no back office workers required and obviously no tax receipts so no State workers.....

Nothing sells itself.

That kid who is bashing the phones all day and taking abuse that the so called workers or academics won't sully their hands with learns more in a year than most people in a lifetime about human relationships - which in a globalised world is a skill that perhaps will be the West's only USP.

So slag sales off all you want but that kid will one day be your boss and rightly so

fair enough, not in sales by any chance are you ;-)

I would say that a lot of stuff sells itself. Stuff that is a necessity, such as cars, trucks, hardware, tools and the list goes on. The stuff that will sell in the future for a second, and third time is stuff that works and works well. I don`t need a salesman to tell me what is good/best. I work that out for myself.

A brand can sell itself once and sell a lot but if it is no good in the long run the brand can goes down the pan. An item that works well and does the job intended and has some staying power will sell by word of mouth.

People are learning and becoming savvy consumers. Yes they can still be sold stuff but they refuse to be hoodwinked a second time. What is happening to UK supermarkets is a prime example. Its not just advertising that promotes Aldi. It`s the best type of marketing that is working for them, and that is word of mouth.

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

I would say that a lot of stuff sells itself. Stuff that is a necessity, such as cars, trucks, hardware, tools and the list goes on.

So I have a choice of 10 different trucks how exactly do I choose ? and please don't say logic. Human buying behaviour is to decide on emotion and justify on logic, or 10 restaurants or tools Own brand, de Walt, Stanley, Bosch, Wolf. In reality how I am even aware of these ? because I have been marketed to and then sold to. They will have different features, price points and specs but ultimately you will buy a something you 'perceive' is correct

Ultimately how do you know it's a necessity ? the sales and marketing the teams have created the gap into which to sell

Edited by Greg Bowman

fair enough, not in sales by any chance are you ;-)

I am by default created my own business and learnt to sell (never sold for anyone else) but was originally a technologist and had the same view of sales as most non sales people. The fascinating thing is a lot of people who dismiss sales would actually be fantastic sales people because it's a process and every element can be taught, nurtured and refined.

Natural sales people get off the mark quick in their careers but plateau (think Del boy) Many senior sales people on 6 figure incomes are ex technologists, Accountants or engineers the trick is they understand process