House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Pleess

Can we please have a Home secretary who can say the word police.

Treresa May is on TV now, addressing the College of Policing and every second word is pleess or pleessing.

A bit like Nick Legg with 'crating'.

Seriously? Is that the worst you can come up with about Teresa May? :rolleyes:

That like criticising a bank robber for not saying please when he robs a bank...

It's like American presidents saying 'nucelar' - drives me nuts.

George and I are complete opposites -- I'm quiet, he's talkative, I'm introverted, he's extroverted, I can pronounce "nuclear."

--LAURA BUSH

The Westminster habit of dropping the t's in words as though it confers some sort of approachable laddishness. It's endemic. First noticed it with Bliar but it is everywhere amongst MP's now - all sides of the Chamber.

Either that or they have been infected by the estuary English they inhabit.

Posh boys should no' drop t's. No' allowed.

Unless you are inviting people to a party (as in social gathering not political grouping). You can go estuary with: "par' ee", or american: "parrrdeeee", but a fully enunciated invitation to a "party" just won't draw in the crowds.

i noticed a few years ago that BBC journos seemed to have undergone the necessary accent reeducation. Can't exactly remember what but I think they all suddenly started saying "lorra" or something. Always seems very odd to me.