House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

A Sense Of Unreality

I get this really frequently.

This is quite a decent summary of it:

Also:

As David Byrne says it doesn't feel like my house, girlfriend, car, job. Anybody else?

And are those my feet?

I get this really frequently.

This is quite a decent summary of it:

Also:

As David Byrne says it doesn't feel like my house, girlfriend, car, job. Anybody else?

And are those my feet?

For most people it isn`t their house or car, it is the banks/credit companies, don`t know about the girlfriends feet though.

What is reality?

After much turmoil and thinking about this question I've came to believe/accept that it's my individual experience at any moment. Of course what is going on in the world around me affects my reality so I experience it as not so good/great/indifferent depending on wider issues and how I relate/adapt to them.

My reality's been great today. Took my sister, her 2 grandchildren plus 2 dogs and my 2 dogs to a fairly remote coastal spot in D & G in my campervan. Sun, eating outside, exploring, making rock stacks, writing our names in the sand with shells, dogs chasing each other/playing/seeing lots of wild geese and listening to the tide come in.

Then I watched 4 BBC 2 episodes presented by Paul Merton who is exploring the more remote Scottish Islands. Lovely programmes! However, like everyone, life/reality isn't always so carefree!

In the past I've experienced, IMO, quite severe feelings of unreality, even confusion about the world I live in. But like everything else those feelings passed and have been replaced. Now I just try to do things I enjoy as much as possible in this crazy world!

Perhaps you question things a lot? I always have and it's taken me to dark times sometimes but overall I've came through it with a live in the moment attitude along with a resolve to try to change what I can to make life enjoyable for me.

Feels like that. None of this is real is it?

The all too few peak experiences I've had in my life have left me suspecting that there may be something very real going on but most of us, most of the time are not connecting with it.

I'm not sure that modern life; with its mundane comforts, stresses and distractions, helps very much.

Heavy doses of psychedelics or organised religion might help some, but I'm not sure I'm personally cut out for either.

Being outside feels like a step in the right direction.

The all too few peak experiences I've had in my life have left me suspecting that there may be something very real going on but most of us, most of the time are not connecting with it.

I'm not sure modern life; with its mundane comforts, stresses and distractions, helps very much.

Heavy doses of psychedelics or organised religion might help some, but I'm not sure I'm personally cut out for either.

Being outside feels like a step in the right direction.

Yes, IMO if you do nothing else other than spend a part of each day near some sort of natural environment, trees, duck pond, anything green, real countryside, then you are stepping in the right direction (The city lifestyle, buses, tube, gridlocked traffic, tension around strangers etc. is poison to the human soul)

....failing that, just take loads of psychedelics.

My wife asked me yesterday 'do you ever feel weird being an adult?'

The answer is yes. And none of this is real.

The problem is with the human lifespan. 100 years max for most people. Nothing, not even the blink of an eye. To put things in perspective more time elapsed between the building of the great pyramid and the reign of Cleopatra than between the reign of Cleopatra and now. Yet we're all still wrapped up in 'now'. What is here and what is now? What is this thing that feels so real yet is so unimportant? In a thousand years we might be a footnote in history if we're lucky, people might skip over the Norman invasion straight to some other event that has not yet happened, rendering all of this inconsequential and unreal. The Norman invasion might not even be remembered.

All your energy, all your productivity and contribution to humanity, hopes, dreams, kids, work, gone. If you can achieve the sense of unreality you're on the right path.

Maslow defined each persons reality with a triangle, some say, a pyramid.

The higher up the triangle, the less grounded, ie real, the World becomes in your mind.

I think life as I perceive it much of the time is absolutely not real...

One minute I'm racing to get a bus...it's the most important thing in the world...anyone who gets in the way is an obstacle, a frustration...life depends on making that appointment...then when I get there, it's running behind...I had all the time in the world. I made enemies out of folks who were just going about their day. One day my chest will tighten and I'll remember...oh yes, it didn't matter...too late now...why did I hurry :)

It really is shadows in the cave stuff...the mind is a powerful projector. Whatever we drop in the slide machine, that's what beams up on the wall. And it all looks so real...so scary...so important...

Time to unplug Frank...life is a dream within a dream...maybe that isn't your beautiful wife, or your beautiful car...

You can still have fun with them mind :)

P

That was a bloody good post

Maslow defined each persons reality with a triangle, some say, a pyramid.

The higher up the triangle, the less grounded, ie real, the World becomes in your mind.

As was this one. A house needs a foundation. ;)

I think life as I perceive it much of the time is absolutely not real...

One minute I'm racing to get a bus...it's the most important thing in the world...anyone who gets in the way is an obstacle, a frustration...life depends on making that appointment...then when I get there, it's running behind...I had all the time in the world. I made enemies out of folks who were just going about their day. One day my chest will tighten and I'll remember...oh yes, it didn't matter...too late now...why did I hurry :)

It really is shadows in the cave stuff...the mind is a powerful projector. Whatever we drop in the slide machine, that's what beams up on the wall. And it all looks so real...so scary...so important...

Time to unplug Frank...life is a dream within a dream...maybe that isn't your beautiful wife, or your beautiful car...

You can still have fun with them mind :)

P

Eeek!

Maybe it's thinking too much. I did try to explain to somebody about having a model in your mind and the world fitting into it but hitting the occasional problem when the world misbehaved.

To reference Father Ted again this was for Dougal; replace dreams with models.

efatherteddreamsreality2.gif

I need to start doing more routine stuff like cleaning the car and less thinking. That way the reality (whatever that is) starts making up ground on the model that I put upon it.

Ask him if you can rent it off him. It's win win.

P

For him it would be win win. The asking rent is double what I'm currently paying nearby and likely to be met.

Millions of people doomed to unreality.

Guest eight

Good topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

I'm big on solipsism - the thing is, I find it hard to escape certain bounds in my life, and keep bumping into the same people or at least moving in the same circles, sometimes completely unintentionally. Which suggests that either I'm wrong on the solipsism, or I've got a really, really rubbish imagination.

If solipsism was correct then I somehow should be able to live like a king in a reality of my own creation.

Feels like that. None of this is real is it?

You wouldn't be the first to seriously philosophise over this question. I am on the fence, and it depends what we mean by real :)

You wouldn't be the first to seriously philosophise over this question. I am on the fence, and it depends what we mean by real :)

I did that intellectualising bit as a student. Sensory impulses forming a world construction and none of it may actually be real.

However it was a thought exercise and I didn't believe any of it. Of course it was real.

I would still like it all to be real but it doesn't feel as real as it did.

Most of the world (well, the small bit I regularly see) feels unreal these days. Extreme cases are very touristy places like Grasmere, which have totally lost any claim to reality but the dull, ugly, monotonous mess most of us live in suffers from the same problem. We've created too many environments that don't feel like a proper part of the world but some intrusion from another. Bad weather usually makes things seem slightly more real.

Guest eight

Perhaps you are dying?

but the dull, ugly, monotonous mess most of us live in suffers from the same problem. We've created too many environments that don't feel like a proper part of the world but some intrusion from another. Bad weather usually makes things seem slightly more real.

Speak for yourself, there are many great places where you can live in this world (even inside the UK, you don't have to move to a tropical island), nobody is forced to live in a 60's concrete tower block in Middlesbrough or in shabby 30's terraces in east London.

I spent some time listening to NLP, Paul McKenner and self hypnosis mp3's. You learn that you can change your reality by changing your perception of things that are happening.

People will witness an something (911, help-to-buy, etc.) and experience, perception and reality of the event.

Speak for yourself, there are many great places where you can live in this world (even inside the UK, you don't have to move to a tropical island), nobody is forced to live in a 60's concrete tower block in Middlesbrough or in shabby 30's terraces in east London.

And most of them still have that unreal feeling around them. What great places there are to live in the UK are usually at the extreme end of ludicrous house prices.

I did that intellectualising bit as a student. Sensory impulses forming a world construction and none of it may actually be real.

However it was a thought exercise and I didn't believe any of it. Of course it was real.

Yes, I think most of us go through some kind of thought experiment such as this at some point in our lives. But it does depend what we mean by real. This subjective sensory experience is all that we have (well, most of us non-mystics anyway), and so of course it feels like our ultimate reality. But, like the Matrix films suggested, what if this is some kind of self-created virtual reality? We would never know until we were suddenly disillusioned in some way (on the death of this material body, through use of psychotropic plants etc), and that what is actually real (or a 'higher' reality) is something quite different to what we experience on a daily basis during our short lives on this planet. That 'something' could perhaps be best described as something akin to the 'soul', or 'consciousness'. What you are feeling could be due to some kind of disconnect between that larger reality and your current experienced reality. I sometimes have similar feelings, a bit like being an actor playing the part of my life, some kind of disconnect, and I wonder if such feelings should spur me to reassess my life, its current direction, and whether this is really what I am on this Earth to achieve, but perhaps such musings are a bit too wacky, even for the wonderful world of OT?! :)