House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Overpriced Stuff

I mean things that seem to be "systemically" overpriced, rather than just being expensive, probably due to absence of effective competition (but 'm not sure why)

1. Things regularly (but not often) available at large discounts:

Bedding, cutlery.

2. Things subject to "furious non-competition".

Phone charges, double glazing.

G*llette Mach 3 razor blades.

Re: Cars being overpriced. The price of cars have certainly crept up over the last 5 years. Remember the 'Rip off Britain' campaign of the early 2000s? It was cheaper to order a right hand drive car in Europe as opposed to a local dealership. It's like the British car buying public has suddenly forgot how expensive new cars are to buy!

Replacement passports. Well, most state documents and licenses.

I may be alone in thinking that a passport isn't outrageously overpriced. It would be great if everything was made to such a high standard.

Cars.

Ludicrously overpriced. Top-spec Ford Fiesta is £18,000. Even a bad one is £11-12K.

Some cars. Dacia has brought back substantial value and it is a delight to see so many of them on the roads.

Er, houses.

Are you trying to get this dragged ON-topic sirrah?????

Ink cartridges are ridiculous. I don't get on with remanufactured ones. Ebay helps but it is hit and miss.

If I needed a home printer it would be a laser printer for this single reason. How much is ink F F S?

May items you buy in a pharmacy.....for coughs and colds and other minor ailments.....stick to honey and lemon and a paracetamol, does just as good as job.....or this:

Grow+Your+Own+Drugs+by+James+Wong.png

I don't want to get too economic in off topic but I would say that is a different function to some of the other 'rent seeking' monopoly effects.

So you believe the price is reflective of the cost of manufacture and distribution rather than state enforced IP?

So you believe the price is reflective of the cost of manufacture and distribution rather than state enforced IP?

Why is fake lego such inconsistent quality. Tight, loose, thick, thin, you name it. It there some sort of restriction on the 3rd party quality control?

To be fair to lego, it just works.

That's not the real price, it's a Kite flying possibly a pricing algorithm?

Maybe but you won't find it for less than £300. It get a lot worse than that for LEGO collector pieces primarily aimed at adults:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-STAR-WARS-10143-DEATH/dp/B000FTXNRI/ref=sr_1_5?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1413362038&sr=1-5&keywords=lego+death+star+3

LEGO STAR WARS 10143 - DEATH STAR 2
by LEGO
Price: £1,775.00
Only 1 left in stock.
Dispatched from and sold by LTD EDITION.
5 new from £1,400.00 3 used from £999.99