House Price Crash Forum

Gchq More Dangerous To Privacy Than Nsa

Errol

HOLA441

GCHQ continues to use data techniques outlawed in US, say campaigners

GCHQ, the Cheltenham-based monitoring agency, is collecting “bulk personal datasets” from millions of people’s phone and internet records using techniques now banned in the US, according to Privacy International.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/08/privacy-international-gchq-data-techniques-outlawed-usa-freedom-act

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Fake phone masts installed across London to listen in on all mobile calls

More than 20 fake phone masts have been tuning in to mobile phone conversations across the capital, with the police unable to confirm who is operating them.

The Stingray masts, which tap into the communications data of mobiles, are supposedly used to listen in on criminals by intercepting information intended for the network provider.

However, because the masts are unable to differentiate between criminal communications and regular users, they sweep all the information available to them, meaning millions of people are potentially having their telephone data sent to a third party.

http://rt.com/uk/266269-fake-phone-masts-london/

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Controversial GCHQ Unit Engaged in Domestic Law Enforcement, Online Propaganda, Psychology Research

The spy unit responsible for some of the United Kingdom’s most controversial tactics of surveillance, online propaganda and deceit focuses extensively on traditional law enforcement and domestic activities — even though officials typically justify its activities by emphasizing foreign intelligence and counterterrorism operations.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/06/22/controversial-gchq-unit-domestic-law-enforcement-propaganda/

• 3 months later...
HOLA447

New Docs Reveal UK Snoopers' Bill Will Give Agencies the Power to Hack You

Further details have finally been revealed on what is included in the British government's controversial Investigatory Powers Bill. According to the Times, MI5, MI6 and GCHQ will be given the authority to hack into smartphones and computers belonging to members of the public.

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20151021/1028868566/new-docs-snoopers-charter-right-to-hack-public.html

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Dear Auntie Olga,

The cow is in the field.

The spring is late this year.

My cat has a runny nose.

Love HR

Oh no! I now have to kill an Albanian diplomat with a pointed poisoned kipper. :blink:. Assuming I can find an Albanian diplomat with said kipper, before anyone else suggests it. :unsure:

HOLA4411

Oh no! I now have to kill an Albanian diplomat with a pointed poisoned kipper. :blink:. Assuming I can find an Albanian diplomat with said kipper, before anyone else suggests it. :unsure:

Albanians can easily be spotted as they have no skin pigmentation. The diplomats have white bowler hats and briefcases.

Good hunting.

HOLA4412

Facebook Caught Secretly Lobbying For Privacy-Destroying "Cyber-Security" Bill

There’s a privacy destroying bill moving through Congress called the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act, or CISA, and it’s imperative that the American public stop it in its tracks. Here are a few bullet points on the bill:

• All privacy policies effectively null and void. Companies can share any private user data with the government, without a warrant, as long as the government says it is being used for a “cybersecurity” purpose.
  • In exchange, companies are given blanket immunity from civil and criminal laws, like fraud, money laundering, or illegal wiretapping (if a violation was committed or exposed in the process of sharing data).
  • Data is shared with a wide array of government agencies, from the FBI and NSA, to the IRS and local law enforcement. Many of these agencies have been breached within the last year and have outdated security systems, opening up the doors to even more cyber attacks.
  • Companies that play along can get otherwise classified intelligence data from the government, including private information about their competitors.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-27/facebook-caught-secretly-lobbying-privacy-destroying-cyber-security-bill

HOLA4413

Facebook Caught Secretly Lobbying For Privacy-Destroying "Cyber-Security" Bill

There’s a privacy destroying bill moving through Congress called the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act, or CISA, and it’s imperative that the American public stop it in its tracks. Here are a few bullet points on the bill:

• All privacy policies effectively null and void. Companies can share any private user data with the government, without a warrant, as long as the government says it is being used for a “cybersecurity” purpose.
  • In exchange, companies are given blanket immunity from civil and criminal laws, like fraud, money laundering, or illegal wiretapping (if a violation was committed or exposed in the process of sharing data).
  • Data is shared with a wide array of government agencies, from the FBI and NSA, to the IRS and local law enforcement. Many of these agencies have been breached within the last year and have outdated security systems, opening up the doors to even more cyber attacks.
  • Companies that play along can get otherwise classified intelligence data from the government, including private information about their competitors.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-27/facebook-caught-secretly-lobbying-privacy-destroying-cyber-security-bill

Facebook is the CIA.

HOLA4414

Albanians can easily be spotted as they have no skin pigmentation. The diplomats have white bowler hats and briefcases.

Good hunting.

I think you mean Al Beanos, Arabic gentlemen that like nothing better than a "slap up meal" which consists of a mountain of mash with sausages sticking out of it! :blink:

HOLA4415
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Snowden condemns Britain’s new surveillance bill

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has voiced his opposition to the Investigatory Powers Bill, which was unveiled Wednesday by the British government, saying ministers are “taking notes on how to defend the indefensible.”

Snowden: By my read, snoopers charter legitimizes mass surveillance. It is the most intrusive and least accountable surveillance regime in the West.

https://www.rt.com/uk/320899-snowden-surveillance-snoopers-charter/

• 5 months later...
HOLA4417

Not a surprise:

Good chance spies are hoovering up your personal data in bulk, documents show

British security services “routinely” collect personal data on bulk from thousands of public and private organizations, including confidential medical and financial records, newly-disclosed documents show.

The previously-confidential files, obtained by campaign group Privacy International (PI) as part of an ongoing legal case challenging the collection of bulk personal datasets (BPDs), have revealed “the staggering extent to which the intelligence agencies hoover up our data.”

https://www.rt.com/uk/340470-spies-mass-surveillance-data/

HOLA4418
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4419
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4420

Britain’s mass surveillance bill rubber-stamped by House of Lords

A sweeping new surveillance regime is set to become UK law before the end of the year after the Investigatory Powers Bill passed through the House of Lords on Wednesday.

As Snowden says - ' The UK has just legalized the most extreme surveillance in the history of western democracy. It goes farther than many autocracies'.

https://www.rt.com/uk/367296-mass-surveillance-bill-law/

• 3 months later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Not sure what all the fuss is about. I don't think the Boys and Girls in Cheltenham have time to read your LOLCats posts.

Let's face it, they have finite resources and like any other organisation they'll need to target activity where it makes a difference.

Personally I'd double or treble their budget, as unlike the US and Europe, we seem to be able to keep the bad boys at bay, without having to have tonnes of machine gun wealding soldiers and police everywhere. 

I am currently in Miami, and the US Coastguard boats have huge mounted machine guns on the front. We haven't quite reached this state in the UK yet, and I think 90% of this is down to GCHQ rather than our Police.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I am currently in Miami, and the US Coastguard boats have huge mounted machine guns on the front.

To be fair though, this is to deal with the drugs stuff. And the drug dealers/groups are armed to the teeth as well, with a lot of the latest military gear.

HOLA4424
On 6/24/2015 at 11:51 AM, Errol said:

NSA, GCHQ targeted Kaspersky, other cybersecurity companies – Snowden docs

US and British spy agencies worked to reverse-engineer antivirus software in order to "exploit such software and to prevent detection of our activities." Russian security firm Kaspersky Lab was particularly targeted.

http://rt.com/usa/268891-nsa-gchq-software-kaspersky/

And you can blame them?

Barclays will give me KIS for free. For. Free.

Think of all the accounts they could obstruct.

Now maybe you are happy for a KGB/FSB guy two doors down from the Kremlin to secure your finances w/o scrutiny, but I'm a little more circumspect, and seeing as the s/w is so popular, people clearly need protecting from themselves.

In short, Kaspersky is exactly the sort of set up GCHQ needs to watch, just as Kaspersky watch the NSA and GCHQ.

HOLA4425

Archived