House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheCountOfNowhere

Nhs Staff In England And Northern Ireland Start Strike

"NHS staff in England and Northern Ireland start strike"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29560083

1. Public sector workers are paid on average 14.5% more than those in the private sector, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). In 2013, average hourly earnings in the public sector were £16.28 an hour, compared to the average £14.16 among private employees.

Are we meant to feel sorry for them ?

Are we meant to support them ?

Also, I know 2 bank nurses who earn £80k+ !!!!

I'm sick of being held to ransom by the public sector, soi I say, Get back to work and take a pay cut.

Instead of wanting public service salaries lowered to private sector levels why not focus on getting private sector salaries higher? Or is your dream a world where everyone has the living standards of Bangladesh?

Instead of wanting public service salaries lowered to private sector levels why not focus on getting private sector salaries higher? Or is your dream a world where everyone has the living standards of Bangladesh?

What raise them so your much favoured migrant / temporary workforce can take all the jobs by undercutting those rates? Because that is what would happen in the private sector.

Ah HPC where every IT consultant is underpaid on £600 a day (yet manages to maintain a 24/7 presence on the forum) and where midwives are greedy for not accepting a 0% payrise for the 4th year in a row.

I want the cost of housing halved then we'd all be better off.

For the public sector to pay better wages and conditions than the people they forcefully take their money from is unsustainable and downright corrupt.

P.S. if you'd been to India you'd know how ludicrous and sickening your statement actually is.

Ah HPC where every IT consultant is underpaid on £600 a day (yet manages to maintain a 24/7 presence on the forum) and where midwives are greedy for not accepting a 0% payrise for the 4th year in a row.

Where they have a job for life and pensions, where they get paid better than the people their money is taking from.

Where's that tiny violin.

I wonder how much of NHS salaries have been paid for through HPI generating higher tax revenues?

HPI was stated in one academic paper to be contributing around 4% per annum to GDP, naturally this means that many public sector wages are possible artificially higher than what the economy can support.

It's clear people don't understand the risks associated with wages and when you have only ever know them to go up the natural assumption is to assume wages only ever go up.

When you are constantly told by the Government and the media that the economy is booming, the economy is past its previous peak and house prices are inflating at 10% per annum do you really think it is unreasonable for the workers to receive a payrise occasionally?

When you are constantly told by the Government and the media that the economy is booming, the economy is past its previous peak and house prices are inflating at 10% per annum do you really think it is unreasonable for the workers to receive a payrise occasionally?

It's only reasonable if it is true.

It's only reasonable if the people who actually pay into the tax pot ( i.e. the private sector ) are generating more wealth and are thusly being rewarded first.

It's only reasonable if the people who are being forced to pay have at least as good terms and conditions.

Why should I pay for you to have a better life than me. Why should my children suffer for some NHS over paid middle manager to have a great retirement ?

If they don't like it, leave and get a job elsewhere.

Welcome to the grown up real world.

It's only reasonable if it is true.

It's only reasonable if the people who actually pay into the tax pot ( i.e. the private sector ) are generating more wealth and are thusly being rewarded first.

It's only reasonable if the people who are being forced to pay have at least as good terms and conditions.

Why should I pay for you to have a better life than me. Why should my children suffer for some NHS over paid middle manager to have a great retirement ?

If they don't like it, leave and get a job elsewhere.

Welcome to the grown up real world.

In the grown up real world we live in a mixed economy. The fact you believe such economically illiterate nonsense that only the private sector pay tax speaks volumes.

In the grown up real world we live in a mixed economy. The fact you believe such economically illiterate nonsense that only the private sector pay tax speaks volumes.

Oh, how so ? Please explain it to me, I am all ears.

The public sector workers generally could be paid net. This illusion that they paid tax is a sham/scam, nothing else.

They do not contribute to the tax pot. They are paid ( handsomely ) by the rest of society to do the jobs that society need to function. It is ( was ) a fair trade.

The are a drain on the tax pot not a contributor. The private sector should be in control of their budgets, not themselves.

suggest if your grasp of primary school arithmetic is lacking you refrain for your obviously public sector biased bull sh**t.

Private sector workers just LOVE a pay cut

Its what they live for.

Oh, how so ? Please explain it to me, I am all ears.

The public sector workers generally could be paid net. This illusion that they paid tax is a sham/scam, nothing else.

They do not contribute to the tax pot. They are paid ( handsomely ) by the rest of society to do the jobs that society need to function. It is ( was ) a fair trade.

The are a drain on the tax pot not a contributor. The private sector should be in control of their budgets, not themselves.

suggest if your grasp of primary school arithmetic is lacking you refrain for your obviously public sector biased bull sh**t.

Presumably your private sector job / industry refuses to take sales from public sector/ps employees?

Where do you get these ideas from?

Private sector competes with Public Sector for labour. Lower public sector pay makes it easier for private sector to lower private sector pay.

If youre a Ukipper you should welcome public sector fighting to increase compensation.

If you want a handsomely paid public sector job why not apply for one instead of moaning?

You are not seriously comparing a midwife to an IT consultant? There is a reason the IT consultant is underpaid on £600 a day, it requires a LOT of SKILL, catching babies not so much.

Presumably your private sector job / industry refuses to take sales from public sector/ps employees?

Where do you get these ideas from?

Ah right....sales from an organisation that used the private sectors money to generate the sales....not sure of your logic there.

Every single public sector worker can be paid NET and it will not affect the tax pot.

It would actually save money to pay them net and save on the accountancy department and tax offices.

Moreover, I could envisage a scheme where the public sector are paid less and can be exempt from paying VAT.

Public sector works do not contribute to the tax pot of this country, they only tax from it.

I think you are trying to say that some public sector organisations generate income for the tax pot, that is possible but due to the massive inefficients generating that income I'd say that was negligible.

I'd imagine the only reason the public sector go through the charade of charging tax for their workers is to make it appear to the rest of the country they contribute not only to society but to the tax pot of the country and to make it themselves feel like they are superior to the people they forcefully take money from to pay for their own organisation.

I work in the NHS as a data analyst/statistical support. I enjoy my work, it contributes positively to society (survival outcomes, analysis of outcome measure, does treatment X work effectively etc etc). I think I'm paid fairly for my work, I received a pay increase this year (annual increment), I won't be striking today.

P.S. I can't be bothered to explain it if you can;t be bothered to think about it, but this chap can:

http://blog.barrypearson.co.uk/?p=1955

I actually like the Elizabeth Warren bit at the bottom, quite true that the tax paid by the private sector is the payback for using shared resources, resources that have built up over years (through no investment from the company being taxed) and that the company paying tax is putting back into the system. This can all work to the benefit of everybody, the pacyback/tac is almost like a dividend back to the original investors and means that personal taxation does not need to be as high as it would need to be to match expenditure.

The problem is when certain parties wish to and do take more than an appropriate share. Some public sector workers for example, the director level at FTSE companies - 21% increase this year alone whilst they dish out shit all to staff, companies using aggressive offshoring, tax dodges and fake accounting to set tax levels.

We were forced to bail out the banks under threat, fianncial terrorism, after that any trivk in the book is now legitimate, there is no common cause, there is nothing that is not worth screwing out of the system as it is bent.

Dont be silly.

Nothing silly about it.

Are you trying to tell me a council worker can't be paid net ?

If the tax pot stands at £100,000 say then the public sector worker is paid £10,000 including tax, the tax pot goes down to £90,000. The tax is then taken off them and the pot goes back up to £91000 say.

What;s the difference between that and paying them £9000 in the first place ( i.e. net )

There is no difference.

If the tax pot is £100,000 and a private sector worker is paid £10,000 the tax pot remains unchanged. When the tax is taken off them and paid into the tax pot it goes up to £101,000.

Public sector workers do not contribute to the tax pot of this country they are paid to do the jobs society require to function. They are paid by the rest of society. Somewhere along the line they have become all powerful and seem to think they can help themselves to everyone's money and pay people to do jobs that society do not need to function.

The public sector in the UK is a disgrace and need taken down a peg or two. They have lost sight of their purpose and their position in life.

For any part of the public sector to strike to demand more when they already have more than the people forced to pay for them show how ridiculously out of kilter they are from reality,

We live in a competitive, Global economy as we have dropped tarrifs.

Maybe you should think about this before posting errant nonsense.

The issue is, the Public Sector feeds off the profits of the private sector and borrowing.

Unreasonable in that there is a deficit...in other words, the economy is not booming, it is borrowing to pay the bills.

I'm sick of being held to ransom by the public sector, soi I say, Get back to work and take a pay cut.

Do you mean agency nurses? if so, surely that pay gives an indication of what the true market rate should be? as this is pay set by the market and not by the government.

also with the governments tax laws, agency nurses have to pay tax on all that, as unlike other sectors contractors, they cant claim to be self employed and declare an income of £14k after expenses, or form little tax dodge companies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29560083

1. Public sector workers are paid on average 14.5% more than those in the private sector, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). In 2013, average hourly earnings in the public sector were £16.28 an hour, compared to the average £14.16 among private employees.

You should work for the newspapers, you know bank nurses who Earn 80k, they do not work for the NHS they work for agencies who sponge off the mismanagement of the NHS dont blame the NHS nurses for that, i know nurses who have to wipe human mess up and get less than 20k while people who do nothing all day but sit on their behinds get more.

Do you mean agency nurses? if so, surely that pay gives an indication of what the true market rate should be? as this is pay set by the market and not by the government.

also with the governments tax laws, agency nurses have to pay tax on all that, as unlike other sectors contractors, they cant claim to be self employed and declare an income of £14k after expenses, or form little tax dodge companies.

And the 70 hour week they work.