Psychic Sally Gets Leafleted

BlueRat

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

This person is conveniently ignoring the fact that the sort of people who go to this type of event WANT to believe in it. Some people do derive comfort from such a belief, and I can't see that mostly, apart from their ticket price, it is doing them much harm. They will almost certainly already know that most people would be scornful or sceptical.

Personally I would think that scam prevention would be better directed at boiler rooms and many other scams that deprive the vulnerable/gullible of many thousands, and sometimes their entire life savings.

HOLA447

I think you're possibly underestimating the gullibility of great swathes of the population who do believe in this stuff :)

Actually I do allow room in my worldview for this kind of thing to be a possibility, at least in in theory. But I suspect that those with any genuine ESP talent aren't the ones touring these venues and charging £25 a pop (or whatever it may be). My real issue is with her thug family threatening and throwing disgusting abuse at someone who is doing nothing wrong, not the fact that 'Psychic Sally' has made a career out of this stuff.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Bit of a spoiler, but at the end of this talk by Paul Zenon he has two anecdotes on the harm these people do.

The first one was an NHS nurse who told him they have had many old people duped by psychics and one old lady lay on her death bed and spoke of the regret that she'd spent all her life's savings on these "bastards", leaving no inheritance for her family.

The second was a chap who had lost his wife at 40. Normally didn't take any interest in this stuff but with the grief he ended up going to see a psychic who told him that his wife was in heaven and was happy and waiting to see him. The next week he topped himself.

HOLA4411

People always say - "they told me something they could never have known"

Isn't that just like a magic trick before you are told how its done ?

Very quick to move from 'impossible' to ' ah I see now its so obvious' .

Not that I am completely against people having strange 'powers' - but even if that's true - there must be loads of shysters about.

HOLA4412

People always say - "they told me something they could never have known"

Isn't that just like a magic trick before you are told how its done ?

Very quick to move from 'impossible' to ' ah I see now its so obvious' .

Not that I am completely against people having strange 'powers' - but even if that's true - there must be loads of shysters about.

Based on the rant from her husband it sounds like the way they find out these days is by trawling people's social media profiles for clues.

HOLA4413

If the leaflet in question is this one here,

http://goodthinkingsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/psychics_leaflet.png

I can't see anything libellous about it. It's actually very respectful and is not criticising spiritualism itself, only those who fraudulently use it.

I would have thought Mr Tilbrook would have a fairly good legal case against the potty-mouthed gentleman. He made threats of violence and also asserted several times that Mr Tilbrook was a homosexual and sodomite - a point which was sufficient to start the Oscar Wilde trial - but perhaps (assuming it's not true) that's not considered defamatory any more.

HOLA4414

Based on the rant from her husband it sounds like the way they find out these days is by trawling people's social media profiles for clues.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. My burd quite believes in them - she went to one with her pals - her pal was in and was asked something really detailed about a trip abroad or something like that. She had no clue but realised my burd had just been to that place. So she shouted her in and she was then told something 'she could not have known' .

I did point out that if she was indeed psychic - she would have known she had the wrong person !! Didn't work.

It really does seem to be a burd thing. All the shows you see must be at least 90% female.

Wonder why that is ? Blokes generally more cynical ?

HOLA4415

Wouldn't surprise me at all. My burd quite believes in them - she went to one with her pals - her pal was in and was asked something really detailed about a trip abroad or something like that. She had no clue but realised my burd had just been to that place. So she shouted her in and she was then told something 'she could not have known' .

I did point out that if she was indeed psychic - she would have known she had the wrong person !! Didn't work.

It really does seem to be a burd thing. All the shows you see must be at least 90% female.

Wonder why that is ? Blokes generally more cynical ?

Men tend to be more rational and materially minded. Women are more into feelings and emotions. I think they're also more likely to get caught up in group-think and the 'mood' of an event than men. So they're more likely to say things like 'I know it might all be a fake and they use tricks and that but somehow I just FELT that mum really was there, watching over me' etc etc.

I watched an interesting programme about psychics and about a training course for psychics. I believe they were all genuine people who thought they had a 'gift' - but you could see that they were well on the way to self-delusion about how they had a special power.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Men tend to be more rational and materially minded. Women are more into feelings and emotions. I think they're also more likely to get caught up in group-think and the 'mood' of an event than men. So they're more likely to say things like 'I know it might all be a fake and they use tricks and that but somehow I just FELT that mum really was there, watching over me' etc etc.

I watched an interesting programme about psychics and about a training course for psychics. I believe they were all genuine people who thought they had a 'gift' - but you could see that they were well on the way to self-delusion about how they had a special power.

Derren brown show on it was pretty interesting.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Bit of a spoiler, but at the end of this talk by Paul Zenon he has two anecdotes on the harm these people do.

The first one was an NHS nurse who told him they have had many old people duped by psychics and one old lady lay on her death bed and spoke of the regret that she'd spent all her life's savings on these "bastards", leaving no inheritance for her family.

The second was a chap who had lost his wife at 40. Normally didn't take any interest in this stuff but with the grief he ended up going to see a psychic who told him that his wife was in heaven and was happy and waiting to see him. The next week he topped himself.

Probably the most extreme example was one Thomas Lynn Bradford, who killed himself in 1921 to prove he could communicate from the spirit world. To date, no contact with him has been made. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Lynn_Bradford

HOLA4421

BTW Mrs Morgan has now sacked her husband and son in law over the incident and implies it has jeopardised her marriage:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/psychic-sally-morgan-sacks-husband-after-film-catches-antigay-attack-on-critic-9792274.html

That's unfair on her son-in-law. The husband was scum but the son-in-law was being polite and reasonable.

I confess to being a bit credulous at these sort of things and did go to watch Doris Stokes. Who as it turns out was an out-and-out fraud. Ah well, the world turns and grows a little bit colder.

HOLA4422

That's unfair on her son-in-law. The husband was scum but the son-in-law was being polite and reasonable.

I confess to being a bit credulous at these sort of things and did go to watch Doris Stokes. Who as it turns out was an out-and-out fraud. Ah well, the world turns and grows a little bit colder.

They're all charlatans. I recall listening to Derek Acorah on the radio many years ago. He always used to ask leading questions about names that the caller was associated with e.g. I'm getting an S, maybe a Sarah, or a Sally or a Susan, then the caller would predictably say something like: my wife's dead uncle was called Sam... And he's in.

Until one day a Pakistani got through. He never mentioned a name. Funny that, eh?

HOLA4423

They're all charlatans. I recall listening to Derek Acorah on the radio many years ago. He always used to ask leading questions about names that the caller was associated with e.g. I'm getting an S, maybe a Sarah, or a Sally or a Susan, then the caller would predictably say something like: my wife's dead uncle was called Sam... And he's in.

Until one day a Pakistani got through. He never mentioned a name. Funny that, eh?

I believe we don't know everything, and that there is something underlying ESP. I have heard of very isolated incidents that I would struggle to explain in any other way.

This does however lead me to be persuaded that certain individuals can have a high level of this. But I have yet to see this as proven in anybody.

HOLA4424

I believe we don't know everything, and that there is something underlying ESP. I have heard of very isolated incidents that I would struggle to explain in any other way.

This does however lead me to be persuaded that certain individuals can have a high level of this. But I have yet to see this as proven in anybody.

I have family members who have been to see a medium, and they tell the usual story of being told things the medium couldn't have known. I'm inclined to believe there's something in it, but probably not talking to the dead.

On the other hand I believe that people practicing the art for money/fame are immoral leeches and most likely charlatans of no real use to anyone.

HOLA4425

I have family members who have been to see a medium, and they tell the usual story of being told things the medium couldn't have known. I'm inclined to believe there's something in it, but probably not talking to the dead.

On the other hand I believe that people practicing the art for money/fame are immoral leeches and most likely charlatans of no real use to anyone.

My mum and my sister have regularly used a clairvoyant, and they come back and say "oh this and this will happen..."

What I suspect happens is that the medium, clairvoyant, whoever asks leading questions without the participant even knowing it, and they can judge what questions to ask from these answers, and tell the participant what they want to hear..

Archived