House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

porca misèria

Crime And Punishment

I reckon if you can do a "good" crime, you could money, out of the book, and film rights!

It looks like £60 worth of bike to me....

If it's an ultra-cheapo bike, maybe it's an owner who absolutely can't afford to replace it, and is deprived of his/her means of going out by its loss.

In any case, it's the kind of psychological blow that kills off confidence and turns normal people into nervous wrecks. And it's the kind of crime of which fear casts a long shadow over many lives: you may not see it, but fear of crime has been known to drive people to suicide, or to living a tinfoil-hat non-life.

If it's an ultra-cheapo bike, maybe it's an owner who absolutely can't afford to replace it, and is deprived of his/her means of going out by its loss.

In any case, it's the kind of psychological blow that kills off confidence and turns normal people into nervous wrecks. And it's the kind of crime of which fear casts a long shadow over many lives: you may not see it, but fear of crime has been known to drive people to suicide, or to living a tinfoil-hat non-life.

Quite so. I was mugged in London for my £200 bike by three guys who beat me up for good measure, and threatened to drown me in the nearby canal. It took a couple of months to physically recover. Further, I didn't go out after dark for more than two years, and every time I saw a group of three men while out and about I would jump out of my skin. Ultimately though, in some ways, it became a positive turning point in my life.

Likely it wasn't the first theft by the guy in this story, and wouldn't be the last - and yes, who knows what impact they left behind. But it is desperately sad that this thief has died over what seems like a trivial theft.

I fell in a lock between the boat and the lock side as mrs debtless was steering the boat out this summer. Bloody scary at the time as I am well aware that locks are the only dangerous bits of the canal system in terms of depth. I managed to cling onto the lock side and haul myself out in time to hear her calmly telling here daughter over her mobile "don't worry he's out again".

Quite so. I was mugged in London for my £200 bike by three guys who beat me up for good measure, and threatened to drown me in the nearby canal. It took a couple of months to physically recover. Further, I didn't go out after dark for more than two years, and every time I saw a group of three men while out and about I would jump out of my skin. Ultimately though, in some ways, it became a positive turning point in my life.

Likely it wasn't the first theft by the guy in this story, and wouldn't be the last - and yes, who knows what impact they left behind. But it is desperately sad that this thief has died over what seems like a trivial theft.

That sounds like a shit night out, Mr Cat!

A silly and tragic death. I wonder who would be so desperate and deluded as to ride into the sea in the middle of the night, which makes me think the dead guy was an addict of some sort- if drugs, then chalk up another victory for our senseless War on them.

My dad had a similar if not so serious experience while on his ride home from work, somewhere round Bermondsey IIRC. He ended up with a serious shiner and I don't think he ever went back to cycle commuting. The bike was something ridiculous like a Pashley, or some other sit up and beg with a three speed Sturmey-Archer IIRC.

It was the fear of that sort of occurrence (and various threats to my person received when I was a bus driver) that got me into powerlifting. Now 1 1/2st heavier and immeasurably stronger, I've still not been threatened with a mugging since a half-arsed attempt by a drunken idiot when I was 15. The barbell has improved my life in many other ways though, so meh.

My dad had a similar if not so serious experience while on his ride home from work, somewhere round Bermondsey IIRC. He ended up with a serious shiner and I don't think he ever went back to cycle commuting.

That's a serious detriment to his life. Not quite like being terrified to step out of the front door, but heading that way.

One fewer such hazard make Plymouth an ever-so-slightly better place.

What on earth is 'nice' about a young man who steals a bike but dies in an accident whilst being chased? That is not a 'punishment' as meted out by a court or even as you may think 'God' or 'Kharma'. It was an accident, he died. Probably whilst doing something wrong.

What's "nice" is that it sounds like "good riddance to bad rubbish." I've rather gone off the idea of punishment, which implies making someone suffer because they've made someone else suffer (locking people up to keep them out of the way is another matter entirely) but I'm not going to shed a tear over things like this either, unless there are other factors we're not being told (entirely possible). Doesn't stop me wishing horrible punishment either on people I don't like (i.e. most of you lot :P ), I freely admit that that's inconsistent.

What's "nice" is that it sounds like "good riddance to bad rubbish." I've rather gone off the idea of punishment, which implies making someone suffer because they've made someone else suffer (locking people up to keep them out of the way is another matter entirely) but I'm not going to shed a tear over things like this either, unless there are other factors we're not being told (entirely possible). Doesn't stop me wishing horrible punishment either on people I don't like (i.e. most of you lot :P ), I freely admit that that's inconsistent.

Thanks for putting it so much better than I did. :)