House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

begob

Election Night 1974 - Bbc Coverage

I caught this by accident and couldn't stop watching - it's when Wilson got back to power.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04lc6f8

The thing that got me was business leaders talking about the crisis of liquidity. After that all the issues we have today came flooding in, including a Europe referendum and Scotland.

Only two big differences - Northern Ireland was higher on the agenda, immigration lower. "And women's lib hasn't done too well. Ha ha ha, dear boy." The only difference in the presentation was the graphics.

Lots of talk about unions and nationalisation, but I think that translates into workers' rights (and EU) and UKIP voters' support for de-privatisation of energy and rail.

There's Whitelaw and Hailsham, and Jeremy Thorpe aggressively defending Liberal failure. Thatcher rumoured as a possible leadership candidate, but her majority was down.

Plus various Monty Python election-count inspirations.

Don't know about 1974 but 2015 is going to be a Doozy. Probably the most entertaining elections in my lifetime. I'll be staying up all night to watch the faces, excuses and squirming of the Liberals as they are annihilated. Prime entertainment watching these traitors suffer.

I caught this by accident and couldn't stop watching - it's when Wilson got back to power.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04lc6f8

The thing that got me was business leaders talking about the crisis of liquidity. After that all the issues we have today came flooding in, including a Europe referendum and Scotland.

Only two big differences - Northern Ireland was higher on the agenda, immigration lower. "And women's lib hasn't done too well. Ha ha ha, dear boy." The only difference in the presentation was the graphics.

Lots of talk about unions and nationalisation, but I think that translates into workers' rights (and EU) and UKIP voters' support for de-privatisation of energy and rail.

There's Whitelaw and Hailsham, and Jeremy Thorpe aggressively defending Liberal failure. Thatcher rumoured as a possible leadership candidate, but her majority was down.

Plus various Monty Python election-count inspirations.

The immigration reforms of the late 60s really did address much of the unrest over the issue that built up during the 60s. Other than Ugandan/Kenyan refugees, there really was very limited immigration after 1971 until the mid 90s. Almost all the growth in the minority population came from migrants having children rather than new entrants. The 'coloured population' as they called it then increased from over 1.5 million (3% of the population) in 1971 to barely 3 million in 1991 (5.5% of population) 1.5 million over 20 years. A 2.5% change over 20 years. Over the last 10 years the non-white population increased 6%, ie over twice as much in half the time. Add in the eastern Europeans and its nearer 8%. And of course in the 70s it was very much restricted to urban centres.

To be fair, everyone was leaving Britain in the 70s and 80s, not trying to move there. There was even a TV drama set in the 90s with Edward Woodward helping to smuggle out those who couldn't get exit visas, as the government tried to stop the 'Brain Drain'.

To be fair, everyone was leaving Britain in the 70s and 80s, not trying to move there. There was even a TV drama set in the 90s with Edward Woodward helping to smuggle out those who couldn't get exit visas, as the government tried to stop the 'Brain Drain'.

Somebody on here mentioned that one a few months back. It's called "1990" and can be found on youtube. I enjoyed it.

The 1987 election is my personal favourite, as it features the narrow defeat of Lord Buckethead by Thatcher.

I demand a recount...

XYY

The 1987 election is my personal favourite, as it features the narrow defeat of Lord Buckethead by Thatcher.

I demand a recount...

XYY

I have the film "Gremloids", or in the USA "hyperspace"

I have the film "Gremloids", or in the USA "hyperspace"

Never seen it, but the title suggests zombies afflicted with a bad case of the "Farmer Giles"...

XYY

Never seen it, but the title suggests zombies afflicted with a bad case of the "Farmer Giles"...

XYY

Lord Buckethead was the Commander in "Gremloids", leading a team of dwarfs to take over the Universe!

I believe it was made in 1986! And is still available.

Don't know about 1974 but 2015 is going to be a Doozy. Probably the most entertaining elections in my lifetime. I'll be staying up all night to watch the faces, excuses and squirming of the Liberals as they are annihilated. Prime entertainment watching these traitors suffer.

Yes, agree. But that's why it's so interesting to see the same arguments from 40 years ago.

Once you forgive the comb-overs, it's worth watching the original link.