House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Recommend Me Some Knives, Pans And Kitchen Stuff

I'm taking over household galley duties over the next few months and find the facilities I'll be "inheriting" from Mrs JTB to be severely lacking. I mean, there's only a single, very blunt knife. Mrs JTB's immense kitchen skill (A at A Level - that's why I married her) means she can cope rudimentary tools and still produce the best grub you'll come across *ever*. I, OTOH, am crap in comparison and need all the help I can get.

So, I'm looking for knives (only two, really - can't see the point of those sets of dozens) and a mechanism for sharpening them. Our one kitchen knife is 25 years old, rattles around in a cutlery drawer and has never been sharpened or honed. I reckon the rolling pin would do a better job.

I'd also like a decent frying pan. Mrs JTB has a collection of ancient non-stick pans that are no longer non-stick. It's maddening. So is a cast iron jobbie the way to go (that's what my mother has)? If so, where from and what type?

Thanks for the hints.

Kirkland sig pans stainless steel (copper rimmed) set, small set of non-stick (Costco, in fact anything Kirkland sig is good)

WMF Pressure cooker (essential, what takes a slow cooker 8 hours takes a pressure cooker 1)

Kenwood Chef food processor

Procook Knife set

Anything cast iron (casserole pots, pans, griddles, what DEATH says down there, can't find the down arrow icon!)

Halogen oven (useful yet cheap)

Decent veg peeler!

I’ll add other stuff as I think of it!

I think these things ^ just keep a blade sharp. To get one sharp from blunt - you need a sharpening stone ?

I have both <smug face>

This is the best thing I have bought:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Creuset-Round-Casserole-Volcanic/dp/B00008WFFN/ref=sr_1_16?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1412943293&sr=1-16

I have used it many times a week for about the last 10 years and it is still as good as new.

You can use it for curries, soups, pot roasting a chicken, casseroles, etc...

I always spot the thing on nearly any cooking show on tv too!

Not cheep though but will last forever.

If you're getting into baking with xmas cakes to make then a KitchenAid mixer is the best one out of the lot. All the other cheaper ones (ie Kenwood KMix) break down too easily after sustained usage.

Guest eight

I have a couple of Global knives, a small pointy one and a slightly cleaverish one. These seem to cover all eventualities.

Never underestimate the usefulness of a decent pair of scissors.

I pretty much only ever use two knives:

1x 6"/7" Santoku style knife (90% use)

1x Tomato knife (10% use)

Edit to add: Plus sharpening wizz-bang for the Santoku knife. Essential for a permanently sharp knife.

This is the best thing I have bought:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Creuset-Round-Casserole-Volcanic/dp/B00008WFFN/ref=sr_1_16?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1412943293&sr=1-16

I have used it many times a week for about the last 10 years and it is still as good as new.

You can use it for curries, soups, pot roasting a chicken, casseroles, etc...

I always spot the thing on nearly any cooking show on tv too!

Not cheep though but will last forever.

Agreed, Le Creuset stuff are great and last forever. I've got a couple that have lasted over 10 years now and are still great for cooking with.

My flatmate just bought a set of these knives, he's cut himself twice already!

expensive, but you won't need to buy another set in your life:

Kirkland sig pans stainless steel (copper rimmed) set, small set of non-stick (Costco, in fact anything Kirkland sig is good)

WMF Pressure cooker (essential, what takes a slow cooker 8 hours takes a pressure cooker 1)

I’ll add other stuff as I think of it!

Agree on Costco being a pretty safe bet for most stuff.

We have a WMF pressure cooker too! Pricey, but very handy for quick cooking and doubles as a regular pan :)

Yup, a six inch cooks knife, plus a smaller 3-4 inch utility knife.

It's worth bearing in mind that Sabatier is a style rather than a particular maker's brand. There are some excellent Sabatiers out there, and some awful ones. If you buy Sabatier, shop wisely.

Tbh I've got a trade grade, orange plastic moulded handle Victorinox cook's knife and and there's not a lot of functional difference between that and my more expensive rivetted jobbies, aside from weight.

Re. Sharpeners. Avoid carbide based sharpeners, they can literally tear strips of metal off your lovely knife. Ceramic based or fine grained diamond dust sharpeners are kinder. Or, if you're really cheap, use the bottom of a coffee mug.

Traditional steels are handy for straightening a blade's edge but they don't do the same job as a sharpening stone. For modern, hard stainless-steel kitchen knives I'd sugggest picking up a sharpener (plain stone or gadget) rather than a traditional steel (edit: if there is to be only one)

I think these things ^ just keep a blade sharp. To get one sharp from blunt - you need a sharpening stone ?

I have both <smug face>

Correct, a steel keeps a blade aligned, a stone actually sharpens it. Good honing delays the need for the stone so it's a useful skill to learn.

Guest eight

+1 on the veg peeler

The all-metal, French/ Swiss jobbies

I can only get away with the "Y" type ones and always peel towards myself. The straight ones I find a bit awkward.

I actually do a few hours a week in a friend's restaurant, just for the craic and a free feeding, so I probably peel a few more veg than your average schmo. I find it strangely therapeutic.

I can only get away with the "Y" type ones and always peel towards myself. The straight ones I find a bit awkward.

I actually do a few hours a week in a friend's restaurant, just for the craic and a free feeding, so I probably peel a few more veg than your average schmo. I find it strangely therapeutic.

I like the robustness of the metal ones and if I ever found them more cumbersome, I might have done, I've got used to working with them over the years.

Therapeutic, yes.

I get my knives from here

http://japanesechefsknife.com These are pretty good http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html#CarboNextSeries

Pans:

Le Creuset cast iron (24cm round is minimum size) on special offer (check hotukdeals for benchmark prices)

Chinese frying pan for about £6 from chinese supermarket. Carbon steel, they rust so keep them dry. Avoid non-stick, it's sh*t.

A few asides:

Sabatier is like Muddy Fox with bikes - just a cheap brand name with no value any more

Victorinox kitchen knives are what trainee chefs use - they are by far the best value but you must sharpen them regularly.

Global and Tojiro are very overpriced in this country

Guest eight

Chinese frying pan for about £6 from chinese supermarket. Carbon steel, they rust so keep them dry. Avoid non-stick, it's sh*t.

Wash them, oil them (pastry brush and thin layer of veg oil - you can keep this in a child's "non-spill" paint pot) and stick them back on the flame for a bit for thorough drying. Though the best way to stop them rusting up is to USE them!

Get carbon steel rather than stainless as the former will keep an edge.

Some of these knives will do, handsomely. The company has been around a long time. I've had a previous design for 15 years.

Morrisons sell a twin wheel ceramic knife sharpener for £2.99 that you will pay 10x the amount for from a professional kitchen supplier.

My favourite pot. I'd never part with it and it's big enough to cook different things in different places at the same time. I have a couple of Le Creuset but rarely use them. Got a selection of small stainless steel pans for boiling and heating stuff.

My second favourite pot. & it doesn't just have to be used under pressure.

Someone mentioned woks. I'd second the carbon steel choice. But I'd also recommend a round bottomed one even if you cook on electric. Much better heat distribution. Just get a supporting ring for electric stoves. If you have a flat bottomed wok you might as well use a pan.

I'd buy a heavy-ish hard anodised frying pan. Easier to use in every respect than cast iron.

I got one fifteen years ago and it still works great. Even my mum was a convert.

Mine has a lid which is great for frying super juicy chicken breasts.

My flatmate just bought a set of these knives, he's cut himself twice already!

expensive, but you won't need to buy another set in your life:

which won't be very long when you're bleeding to death on the kitchen floor, presumably.