House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solitaire

Dreaded Phone Calls

Got a phone call around 6pm this evening from my sister telling me that my brother had been taken to hospital in critical condition. I tried his mobile but it was turned off so rang the A&E, they told me he was really poorly but would get a phone to him so he could ring me back. The call never came and he was taken to surgery at 7pm so I didn't get to speak to him :(

We were told that it would be a very long operation but they were seriously concerned about his ability to withstand the surgery :(

At this stage I'm thinking that the longer we go without any news, hopefully, the better. If all goes OK we should hear sometime in the early hours how it went. I can't bear to think about getting a phone call any sooner than that :(

I think I'll go to bed and try and read my book and hopefully, but not likely, drift off to sleep for a bit.

Best wishes - hope the next phone call is a positive one

I feel like swearing but it's not appropriate. The phone rang a short while ago and it was really hard to answer it as it was hours earlier than expected. He's made it through the operation and is now in intensive care on a ventilator, so first hurdle is over.

The silly bu**ger doesn't look after himself properly and has had problems for the last few years that has caused him a lot of pain and stomach problems and he probably didn't realise he was in severe trouble until it was almost too late.

We haven't had much detail as to what has caused it, what they found or what they have done but they did say he would likely need another operation tomorrow so it's an ongoing situation but I guess he's in a better position than he was earlier.

We'll find out more tomorrow morning, for now I've hit the Benylin bottle trying to get rid of the knots in my stomach and get some sleep. Christ I wish he wouldn't keep doing things like this to us! (not angry with him just a bit of delayed shock)

Thanks for your good wishes guys. I'll let you know how things go.

Sorry for your brother being so unwell & for the worry this is causing you. Hope he's doing better tomorrow and that you managed to get some sleep in the end.

Guest eight

I'm in this situation right now, with my father in law. Mrs. 8 is with him. It's a matter of hours. He's done remarkably well to make it this far.

Sorry to hear that eight, it's such a stressful time for all involved.

My brother went down for further surgery at 10am this morning. We haven't heard anything but will be phoning in an hour or so to see how he is (can't keep ringing every 5 minutes I'd rather let them get on with their jobs at the moment).

.....and good luck.

Tell him to "pull himself together". That usually works.

Physically he's a bit of a wreck, his resilience comes from pure bloody mindedness.

Guest eight

Sorry to hear that eight, it's such a stressful time for all involved.

My brother went down for further surgery at 10am this morning. We haven't heard anything but will be phoning in an hour or so to see how he is (can't keep ringing every 5 minutes I'd rather let them get on with their jobs at the moment).

Good luck to you all. It's easy to diss doctors but at times like this we are in their hands - all of us, not just the patient.

Let me guess, ebola?

I sincerely hope Solitaire that your brother is recovering.

However dark humour has been mentioned on another ebola thread. I have to admit that The Eagle's comment hit my dark humour button and made me laugh in light of Solitaire's ebola interest.

Sorry Solitaire I hope you know I'm not laughing about your brother's illness.