House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

New Air Cooled London Tube Trains On Deep Lines

They've announced today that the new trains for London's deep tube lines will be "air cooled". But I've not been able to find out how the cooling works. I know they can't use normal air conditioning because of space restrictions. Does anyone know how they do it?

I suspect that this will be some form of air conditioning in the trains.

The reason that only subsurface tube trains have air con, and not the deep trains is that there is insufficient fresh air in the deep tunnels to get rid of the heat - the result would be rocketing temperatures in the stations.

The issue is that progress has been made in air-conditioning the deep tunnels and stations themselves, which would then allow air-conditioning in the trains to be a workable solution. I seem to recall a someone developing an air conditioning system that used the bilge water continually pumped from the tunnels into sewers as a heatsink.

Edit - beaten to it.

Thanks. Very interesting. Although it looks like they're all just proposals - they don't actually seem to say how they've chosen to do it.

Isn`t that the way of things nowadays...politicians and powers to be, make announcements..announcements are what makes news..what ever actually happens is often so very different if anything..