House Price Crash Forum

By-Elections Today - Media Silence?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I've only just read that these are happening. Two by-elections just after party conferences and barely a mention.

Heywood and Middleton, Manchester (safe Labour)

Clacton - Douglas Carswell

Ok the former is a non-event but given that the latter is potentially the first ever UKIP MP I would have expected a tad more coverage. I expect they'll be all over if he doesn't get in. How the Establishment closes ranks.

An entirely dull, purely factual press release from "good old Auntie Beeb"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29542009

HOLA442

They don't talk about elections on election day.

Other than very vague mentions.

I suspect this actually accounts for the low turnout. People apparently need constant reminding of events such as this.

Probably putting reminders on facebook would help.

Over the last 2 weeks I've heard it mentioned on local radio.

HOLA443

They don't talk about elections on election day.

Other than very vague mentions.

I suspect this actually accounts for the low turnout. People apparently need constant reminding of events such as this.

Probably putting reminders on facebook would help.

Over the last 2 weeks I've heard it mentioned on local radio.

Is this like Fight Club?

Other by-elections get the coverage.

The nearest I can think of is the Crosby by-election where the SDP's Shirley Williams got in. The media coverage was huge with film crews all over, i know Shirley Williams was a well-connected media-luvvie and Carswell isn't but in terms of impact - a new party potentially winning their first Westminster seat - this is comparable.

I genuinely had no idea it was happening today until I saw a reference to it on another forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosby_by-election,_1981

I have a very slight connection to this as the Raving Loonie candidate, who actually changed his name to Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel, was a friend of a friend who I met once at college in about 87. He hadn't changed his name back and was still known as Tarquin.

HOLA444

The people of Middleton have immigration down as a huge issue for them. It's next to Oldham if that helps clarify things.

I have some green party people on my FB and someone has been bitten today by a UKIP voter. Or their dog. I'm not sure which. :)

HOLA445

I have a very slight connection to this as the Raving Loonie candidate, who actually changed his name to Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel, was a friend of a friend who I met once at college in about 87. He hadn't changed his name back and was still known as Tarquin.

That's really mad. :)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Good grief. I had forgotten about them.

I think they are being far more quiet than usual. They tend to regularly mention the election itself each hour in order to get the voters out. But surprisingly quiet today.

Hmm, are they fearing a UKIP win in one?

I think Andrew Neil is on late tonight waiting for the results.

HOLA4411

Posted this yesterday on another thread ....

JS48128510.jpgFarage and Miliband on campaign trail as battle for Heywood and Middleton by-election heats up

Mr Farage declared Ukip is ‘parking its tanks on Labour’s lawn’ as he hit the campaign trail for the third time with candidate John Bickley ahead of Thursday’s crunch by-election.

The pair unveiled party banners, before stopping off at the Gardeners Arms pub for a couple of pints.

Despite earlier claiming he doesn’t do ‘stunts’ any more, Mr Farage couldn’t pass up the chance to climb aboard a battle tank at the Heywood Tank Museum, in an an echo of one of Margaret Thatcher’s most recognisable photocalls.

The pair then sunk another couple of pints, before a walk around Kirkway shopping precinct.

http://www.mancheste...-battle-7899058

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Looks like labour scraped in, but only by 600 votes. Press are reporting that a UKIP request for a recount has been granted.. Though I doubt they'll be lucky enough to get 600 votes out of it.

Only the bundles. Labour majority of 617.

Labour 41% (+1%)

UKIP 39% (+36%)

Conservatives (-15%)

LibDems (-18%)

Didn't catch the ConDem share but it can't be more that 20% combined.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Massive swing and majority in Clacton. General election will be interesting for once. Real chance of ukip in some sort of coalition ?

Its predicted that ukip will get six MPs at the next election. I think it'll split the tory vote, and labour will get in...People think that there's this big conspiracy against ukip...I personally couldn't give a monkey's...they all turn out the same in the end anyway, sucking the westminster teat....

HOLA4417

Excellent results. Interestingly, Sky are all over it, with BBC News concentrating mainly on some baking competition.

BBC did show a clip of a glum looking Shapps saying that Labour are a step closer to winning the general election next year. You know what, I don't care as long as this disgraceful government get a bloody nose.

Vote UKIP, get UKIP.

HOLA4418

Its predicted that ukip will get six MPs at the next election. I think it'll split the tory vote, and labour will get in...People think that there's this big conspiracy against ukip...I personally couldn't give a monkey's...they all turn out the same in the end anyway, sucking the westminster teat....

People get the government they deserve. Like it or not there is a lot more of a receptive market for right wing populism than libertarianism.

Still, If its UKIP or Rotherham, who can blame them.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I feel like this too particularly when I remember how stupidly optimistic I was in 1997. Look how that turned out.

HOLA4421

I feel like this too particularly when I remember how stupidly optimistic I was in 1997. Look how that turned out.

Perhaps you were too young, at the time, to see through Blair's grin?

Labour always screw-up the economy. The difference this time is that instead of sorting it out, the Tories, assisted by the LibDems, have made it even worse.

HOLA4422

Vox Popping people on Fivelive and the ones who voted UKIP say it is because of immigration... quickly followed by the BBC presenters changing the subject.

I personally think that it is immigration and not the EU that is the main reason why people are voting for UKIP.

On Fivelive they asked one person why they had voted UKIP and the person mentioned that it was because of cheap migrant workers undercutting the local workforce... and the BBC hack did the usual of trying to turn it into a racist comment.... BBC journos have not been undercut in salaries and jobs by migrant workers have they?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

They missed Heywood and Middleton by 617 votes.
Will be surprised if the greens got that many.

EDIT: Oh no they got 870.
http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?ID=100&RPID=1839741

Heywood & Middleton - results

Election Candidate Party Votes%

pixel.gif Liz McInnes Labour 11633 41% Elected

pixel.gif John Bickley UK Independence Party 11016 39% Not elected

pixel.gif Iain Gartside Conservative 3496 12% Not elected

pixel.gif Anthony John Smith Liberal Democrats 1457 5% Not elected

pixel.gif Abigail Louise Jackson Green Party 870 3% Not elected

Archived