House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Films For An Ebola Horror Night?

I loved the Crazies (1973) version when I was a kid. I remember seeing it as a serial on the BBC late at night.

Yes, I have strong memories of watching it on the box, as a kid, late at night.

The scenes with the psycho granny and the priest doing a Vietamese monk impression (there's a clear Vietnam War theme running throughout the film), in particular, rocked my tiny little mind.

Now that I'm a bit more grown up, physically at least, I've learned to appreciate other aspects of the film; the dialogue, the haircuts, the low-budget production values, all sorts.

The Crazies, 1973 version

2wojgp1.jpg

That's the stuff the US has been bombarding the middle east with using secret B52 flights since the Iraq War.

Yes, I have strong memories of watching it on the box, as a kid, late at night.

The scenes with the psycho granny and the priest doing a Vietamese monk impression (there's a clear Vietnam War theme running throughout the film), in particular, rocked my tiny little mind.

Now that I'm a bit more grown up, physically at least, I've learned to appreciate other aspects of the film; the dialogue, the haircuts, the low-budget production values, all sorts.

Yep, it was al ltied up in that Vietname/Nixon stuff that was going on in the US in the 1970s. All those hippy times sticking it to the man before they grew up and became Gordon Geckos on Wall Street sticking it to us.

Outbreak was a goodish film but... as much as Dustin Hoffman does a good job in it he really does not come across as the superhero type.

If you close your eyes and listen to the dialogue spoken by Hoffman's character you can clearly get the idea that it was written with Harrison Ford in mind. I wonder if he turned it down.

And.... yes, according to the IMDB the role was originally written for Harrison Ford.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114069/trivia

I don't really enjoy films but books, now you're talking.

And I'd go for Earth Abides. It's a (the original?) post-plague story. For a plant-virus story, The Death of Grass.

This whole ebola thing is scaring the sh!t out of me and to avoid going into a complete catatonic funk of fear I won't be re-reading any of these or watching any films until (if?) the whole thing blows over.

I'm off now to stock up on Lemsips.

12 Monkeys

28 Days Later

28 Weeks Later...just exactly how long is this horror night going to be??? It might need to be horror month.

Dunno I have been thinking about a Halloween night film evening ... It'll priobably mostly be definied by (a) what films we can get to watch and (B) just how many cheesy/appalling horror films him indoors will let me watch. :)

Yep, it was al ltied up in that Vietname/Nixon stuff that was going on in the US in the 1970s. All those hippy times sticking it to the man before they grew up and became Gordon Geckos on Wall Street sticking it to us.

Quite

In The Crazies, the soldiers and their immediate command are basically decent, but subject to incompetent, amoral leadership.

The soldiers are having to lock-down a small town, populated by folks just like them, a proportion of which have been infected with something, a bio weapon in this case but it could have been an ideology, that makes them murderously psychotic.

The subsequent zany hi-jinks where the soldiers shoot uninfected people, either by mistake or to maintain order, and are sometimes killed by infected people who the soldiers don't think are infected strikes me as being still, very much contemporary and relevant.