House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Crazy Supplements Pricing

I don't take lots of supplements but there is one I need and I've found Holland and Barrett's version is the best for me.

As far as I can tell a firm called Puritans Pride are part of the same group and sell exactly the same products (mine even has the same product code on it) - you order from their UK website but they are sent from the USA - I've just had 3 tubs sent for £12 in total including delivery - which is £1 less than the price of 1 tub at H&B in the UK - including air freight from the USA - the order weighs more than 1KG - I'd have thought the cost of air freight alone would be at least a fiver.

Anyway, it just struck me as a bit bonkers.

EDIT - I only did it because they're out of stock in the UK

EDIT 2 - WARNING! - I think you'll need to keep the order under £15 (inc postage) to avoid import VAT.

H&B are well-overpriced but I wander in there when they have a two for one offer which brings it down to ok and they have a great range.

H&B are well-overpriced but I wander in there when they have a two for one offer which brings it down to ok and they have a great range.

Double it to half it. ;)

I buy most of my supplements from abroad (I have a neurological disease and try different things).Some USA and international companies use a shipper that invoices customs automatically if over £15 and others send through the post and these can be missed by Royal Mail.

H&B doesn't always have what I want to try or have versions that don't agree with my stomach.

I do try to avoid buying supplements unless I am after something specific that I have researched or if I know that it helps me from previous use.

The Nutricentre offer a 20-25% discount on some products if you belong to a particular group.

I think you will be lucky to not be charged for import - you tend to get import taxes (20%) several weeks after the product has been delivered.

Who was your courier? The couriers are now in charge of getting the tax for HMRC I think so they have an incentive to make sure everyone gets billed.

Last time I ordered vits from the US I was chuffed with the price until about 6 or 7 weeks later I got a big tax bill by UPS or DHL or whoever the courier was.

Double it to half it. ;)

It's what Table Table / Brewers Fayre do as a standard policy. I've almost always eaten there on a two for one offer.

I think you will be lucky to not be charged for import - you tend to get import taxes (20%) several weeks after the product has been delivered.

Who was your courier? The couriers are now in charge of getting the tax for HMRC I think so they have an incentive to make sure everyone gets billed.

Last time I ordered vits from the US I was chuffed with the price until about 6 or 7 weeks later I got a big tax bill by UPS or DHL or whoever the courier was.

I'm hoping I'm OK as the total price is only £12

All other goods

If you order or purchase goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you have to pay:

• Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
  • import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

I'm hoping I'm OK as the total price is only £12

It should be fine. I buy a lot of bits and bobs from overseas, stick to a $24 limit and, touch wood, have had no real problems.

Chinese merchants, and I'm not recommending buying supplements from China, can be very obliging, will write any old guff on customs declarations and only pack unpriced packing notes, rather than receipts or invoices. It can't last and presumably will get dumped on from a great height one of these days.

Basically HMCR are not going to bother if you buy a DVD, or other low value item from the USA! If you buy car parts, or guitars,, the value will be quoted on the invoice and you will be liable for VAT and Customs duty!